TBC Label Display

Matt Goldberg

May 26, 2021, 12:39:25 PM5/26/21
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hello-

The top toolbar of TBC has the button that toggles between showing prefixed qnames and rdfs:labels. I'm working with some files that are using the SKOS label properties and not rdfs:label directly. Consequently, when it is toggled to show human readable labels, it still shows qnames because there are no rdfs:labels. Is there an option somewhere to change the behavior of that button to show skos:prefLabels instead of rdfs:labels, or do I have to rely on the RDFS Plus reasoner (at a minimum) to get labels to show without modifying the file?

I'm using version TBC 7.0.2.

Thanks.

Holger Knublauch

May 26, 2021, 6:05:02 PM5/26/21
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt,

TBC will use skos:prefLabel even in preference over rdfs:label for any resource, as shown in the attached test. However you need to make sure that the triple skos:preflabel rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label exists, which is most commonly achieved by owl:importing the SKOS Core namespace.

HTH
Holger

labeltest.ttl

Matt Goldberg

May 27, 2021, 8:21:39 AM5/27/21
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I had assumed that SKOS was transitively imported, but it turns out it wasn't. Adding that import made it work. Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "TopBraid Suite Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/topbraid-users/e28f2371-ece4-7d14-6015-95be73a547db%40topquadrant.com.

Luis Enrique Ramos García

Apr 15, 2024, 2:22:03 AMApr 15
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Holger,

I have a similar use case with the following labels:

 rdfs:label "Machine"@en ;
 skos:prefLabel "Machine"@en ;
 skos:prefLabel "Maquina"@es ;
 skos:prefLabel "Maschine"@de ;

I checked that English is my default language in browser,
and also checked that skos:core was imported,
however in this case, still the label in German is still rendered.

There should be something that I am not considering?

Best regards

Luis Ramos

Holger Knublauch

Apr 15, 2024, 3:37:22 AMApr 15
to 'Richard Nagelmaeker' via TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Luis,

is this about TBC? If yes, then default language of browser is not relevant.

If this is about EDG, could you share a screenshot?

Holger

Luis Enrique Ramos García

Apr 15, 2024, 3:53:52 AMApr 15
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
sure dear,

it is about EDG

the screenshot:

image.png

Holger Knublauch

Apr 15, 2024, 5:30:32 AMApr 15
to 'Richard Nagelmaeker' via TopBraid Suite Users
This is surprising. Possible explanations may be

- System Administration > Server Configuration > Preferred Languages has been set

- The system doesn't know that skos:prefLabel is rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label - from your screenshot it seems that skos:prefLabel doesn't even have a label of its own. What are the owl:imports here?

- Are you sure Maschine is used from the "de" label or does it happen to be the local name of the URI? The local names are used if no display labels are found.

If none of this works, could you share a screenshot of the language settings in Chrome?

Holger

On 15 Apr 2024, at 9:53 AM, 'Luis Enrique Ramos García' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

sure dear,

it is about EDG

the screenshot:

<image.png>

Luis Enrique Ramos García

Apr 15, 2024, 5:54:35 AMApr 15
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Holger,

I do not have access to system administrator, thus I can only comment the other options:

1. The system doesn't know that skos:prefLabel is rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label - from your screenshot it seems that skos:prefLabel doesn't even have a label of its own

I only can show you what I see when I edit the class:

image.png
There, I see skos:prefLabel, and the label by language, as I see skos:prefLabel has labels.

What are the owl:imports here?

image.png
Are you sure Maschine is used from the "de" label or does it happen to be the local name of the URI? The local names are used if no display labels are found.

I hope your first screenshot could answer your question

If none of this works, could you share a screenshot of the language settings in Chrome?

image.png
Only English is selected

Luis Ramos

Holger Knublauch

Apr 15, 2024, 6:03:18 AMApr 15
On 15 Apr 2024, at 11:54 AM, 'Luis Enrique Ramos García' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Holger,

I do not have access to system administrator, thus I can only comment the other options:

1. The system doesn't know that skos:prefLabel is rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label - from your screenshot it seems that skos:prefLabel doesn't even have a label of its own

I only can show you what I see when I edit the class:

<image.png>
There, I see skos:prefLabel, and the label by language, as I see skos:prefLabel has labels.

What are the owl:imports here?

<image.png>
Are you sure Maschine is used from the "de" label or does it happen to be the local name of the URI? The local names are used if no display labels are found.

I hope your first screenshot could answer your question

It did not 100% because I didn't see the URI of the resource. But I guess when you change the "de" label, then the display shows that changed label too?

Anyway, I guess you should check with whoever is the administrator if some global language override has been configured. I cannot think of other reasons right now.

Holger

If none of this works, could you share a screenshot of the language settings in Chrome?

Luis Enrique Ramos García

Apr 15, 2024, 8:10:47 AMApr 15
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Holger,

I checked with the administrator and he helped to solve the issue.

I had to have a label without tag, so the default language (English) could be rendered,

But, it currently renders the default language only  with the EDGE browser, not in mozilla.

Luis