flybridge gauges

Jeff

Feb 16, 2023, 1:42:16 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hello group,
My flybridge oil and temp gauges read low for my port engine. My main cabin gauges read fine. I have an ‘88 34ft sports sedan with dual crusader 7.4s.
I’m wondering if I have a sending unit issue. Does anyone know if there are separate sending units for upper and lower helms.

Also:
Any recommendations for oil in these engines?

Thanks
Jeff Edelman

George Naumann

Feb 16, 2023, 1:48:33 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
My port side flybridge oil gauge reads low as well. I was told I would need to replace both as you can't just replace one with a different gauge. You can't get the old gauges anymore, as far as I know.

George Naumann
Little Bear, Anacortes Marina

Mark Hopgood

Feb 16, 2023, 3:21:49 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Usually it is a single sender, with a Y connector to the flybridge. Check wiring and connections for corrosion/tightness first, if they used to work okay. You need senders that are dual station if you choose to replace….resistance-type senders…

Best,
Mark

> On Feb 16, 2023, at 11:48, George Naumann <gnau...@privatevaluations.com> wrote:
>
> My port side flybridge oil gauge reads low as well. I was told I would need to replace both as you can't just replace one with a different gauge. You can't get the old gauges anymore, as far as I know.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tollycraft-boating-club-forum/60545a55b260414ba50e439269b33ea5%40privatevaluations.com.

George Naumann

Feb 16, 2023, 3:23:31 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark. It is a little nerve racking to not have that working when driving from up there.

George Naumann | CEO
Private Valuations, Inc. | Appraisers & Valuation Consultants
2620 Bellevue Way NE, Suite 118, Bellevue, WA 98004
T 425.688.1700 | C 425.270.9304
gnau...@privatevaluations.com | www.privatevaluations.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tollycraft-boating-club-forum/4DD82794-0C3D-4730-A1D4-499E071E2141%40gmail.com.

Douglas Wise

Feb 16, 2023, 3:54:58 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Only one sending unit, two gauges. Problem could be wiring or gauge

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 16, 2023, at 12:21 PM, Mark Hopgood <mrho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Usually it is a single sender, with a Y connector to the flybridge. Check wiring and connections for corrosion/tightness first, if they used to work okay. You need senders that are dual station if you choose to replace….resistance-type senders…
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tollycraft-boating-club-forum/4DD82794-0C3D-4730-A1D4-499E071E2141%40gmail.com.

Mark

Feb 16, 2023, 6:28:01 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,
I have a 78' 34' Tolly Sedan. I pulled all my gauges and went with Garmin chart plotters. Love it!
I have a box of guages any of you are welcome to. I'm at Anacortes Marina, if you want to try my old ones let me know.
Mark Barrett

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 16, 2023, at 12:21 PM, Mark Hopgood <mrho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Usually it is a single sender, with a Y connector to the flybridge. Check wiring and connections for corrosion/tightness first, if they used to work okay. You need senders that are dual station if you choose to replace….resistance-type senders…
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tollycraft-boating-club-forum/4DD82794-0C3D-4730-A1D4-499E071E2141%40gmail.com.

Jeff

Feb 16, 2023, 6:46:10 PM2/16/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I have garmin units at both helms. Did you wire your sending units to your NEMA cable?

Also, if you are able to send a pic of your gauges I migt be interested in 1 temp and oil pressure gauge if they match mine.

Thanks
Jeff

> On Feb 16, 2023, at 3:28 PM, Mark <markf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey All,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tollycraft-boating-club-forum/7EC61A73-5C8E-4F8D-B4EF-161E37B2AB1E%40gmail.com.

Mark Barrett

Feb 22, 2023, 2:04:39 PM2/22/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

My story is that I re-engined with Crusader 6.0 engines, which were wired for the NEMA backbone.
Shortly after the new engines, I replaced all the original Tolly gauges with Garmin chart plotters, Radio, Radar, AIS, Wind, etc.
All connected by NEMA 2000 and the Garmin GMS10 Network.

I should have 4 gauges for oil pressure and temp, i would think one or two would work. You can try them. The faces are 2” across.
I’ve had to use a few Maretron units to convert analog to digital, like for the fuel tanks, but the new engines were ready for NEMA and all the Eng info
shows up beautifully on Garmin MFDs.

I have had a very good experience with Maretron tech support. They have helped me over the phone program the fuel gauges and other black boxes they sell.
Hope this helps. If you want to try the gauges let me know. I live in Snohomish and my boat is at Anacortes if you wanted to see how it’s wired up.

Mark Barrett

tollyguages.jpeg
lowerbefore.1.jpeg
lower after.1.jpeg
upperbefore.1.jpeg
upperafter.1.jpeg

Mark Barrett

Feb 22, 2023, 2:04:40 PM2/22/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,
Yes, the sending units are commented through NEMA backbone.
The faces are 2”, give me a call and I can get them to you to try.
Mark Barrett
425-418-6045

tollyguages.jpeg

Jeff

Feb 25, 2023, 4:16:59 PM2/25/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark
Your Garmin helms look amazing.
I don’t think your old gauges will work for me though. Hopefully someone else
can use the set for their Tolly.
Thanks
Jeff Edelman

> On Feb 22, 2023, at 11:04 AM, Mark Barrett <markf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
tollyguages.jpeg

George Naumann

Feb 25, 2023, 10:23:47 PM2/25/23
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
George,
Oh very cool...E 35, Little Bear.  Can I wrap them and set them on your boat somewhere, or maybe leave them with Claudia?
I'll leave a few of them, so if one does not work another should.
Mark
425-418-6045

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 25, 2023, at 3:15 PM, George Naumann <gnau...@privatevaluations.com> wrote: