Error Producing PDF Version

Ryan Mortensen

Feb 12, 2020, 12:09:52 AM2/12/20
to tlaplus
I try to run the PDF producer on the toolbox that I just downloaded, but I get the following error:

TLATeX unrecoverable error: Tring to run command `pdflatex DieHard.tex` produced  the following error- Cannot run program 'pdflatex' in directory /my/dir/DieHard.toolbox.
error=2

Is this because of a faulty installation on my part?
I read the other messages from 2013, which makes me wonder if I need to install Latex separately?

Markus Kuppe

Feb 12, 2020, 11:30:34 AM2/12/20
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

you have to install LaTeX and configure the path to pdflatex in the
Toolbox's preference [1][2]. By the way, the upcoming Toolbox release
will have a more descriptive error message when pdflatex cannot be not
found.

M.

[1] https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlatoolbox/doc/spec/pretty-printing.html
[2] https://github.com/tlaplus/tlaplus/issues/54#issuecomment-304531412

burt

Mar 12, 2020, 4:14:39 AM3/12/20
to tlaplus
I had the same problem. The toolbox generates a tex-file in the folder spec.toolbox, in your case DieHard.toolbox. But it seems that the pdflatex command is run in the current folder, the parent of DieHard.toolbox.

A work around that worked for me:
I changed the command in preferences to "cd DieHard.toolbox; pdflatex"

Not quite convenient, because it must be changed for every new spec. But it works for me.

loki der quaeler

Mar 12, 2020, 5:15:48 PM3/12/20
to tlaplus
If you specify a full path to pdflatex, you could be "one and done" as opposed to updating the preferences.

burt

Mar 13, 2020, 3:21:07 AM3/13/20
to tlaplus
that's right, even if I don't understand why.

loki der quaeler

Mar 13, 2020, 5:05:35 PM3/13/20
to tlaplus
It's because Eclipse (on which the Toolbox is based) does not handle inheriting a user's PATH setting well, and so if a user's pdflatex is installed anywhere except for the most basic of places (like "/bin" on a *NIX based OS), pdflatex won't be found (and so the full path to it must be specified.)

burt

Mar 14, 2020, 4:42:24 AM3/14/20
to tlaplus
Hi Loki,
why I'm wondering:
- "pdflatex" in the preferences does not work, but
- "cd spec.toolbox; pdflatex" does.
Why does Eclpise find my pdflatex in the second case, but not in the first one.
(Not an important question, just being curious.)

loki der quaeler

Mar 14, 2020, 5:24:12 PM3/14/20
to tlaplus
That is an excellent question :- )

If i had to waive my hands furiously in the air - since 'cd' is a built in shell command, perhaps its invocation causes the user's shell .rc / aliases file to be loaded thereby picking up a full PATH with includes the directory containing pdflatex. ?

Buy that? :- )

Clifford Heath

Mar 14, 2020, 10:29:48 PM3/14/20
to tla...@googlegroups.com