[TW5/TWC] Announcing prerelease of TiddlyFox 2.0.0

558 zobrazení
Preskočiť na prvú neprečítanú správu

Jeremy Ruston

neprečítané,
3. 1. 2017, 11:41:203. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
I’m happy to announce a new version 2.0.0 of TiddlyFox for desktops, with overhauled internals and a new user interface. It works with the latest versions of desktop Firefox, and supports both TiddlyWiki Classic and TiddlyWiki 5.

(Users of TiddlyFox on Firefox for Android will not be able to use the new version, but the old version will continue to work for them).

The new version includes a toolbar button. For ordinary websites it looks like this:

If you navigate to a TiddlyWiki on a file: uri then the icon turns blue:

Clicking the icon shows a popup with options to enable saving for the TiddlyWiki file:

If saving is enabled, the icon turns green:

Clicking the button and unchecking “Always enable saving for this file” will disable saving once the wiki has been refreshed.

I’ve submitted the prerelease for review by Mozilla which can take some time. Unfortunately, Mozilla’s recent requirement that all add-ons be cryptographically signed by them makes it harder than usual to try out the prerelease in the meantime.

The easiest way to use an unsigned XPI is to use the Developer edition of Firefox, which will accept unsigned extensions:

The XPI is available here:

As usual, questions and feedback are welcome,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

PMario

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 6:57:2512. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
To enable unsigned extensions see: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing  and search for "about:config"
-m

PMario

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 7:02:3012. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Jeremy,

Just tested the new extension. It seems to work for me. ...

The only problem I have is the icon size. The "globe" that changes color is way to small for me. If it turns blue or green, it's barely see-able. So for me, you could also change Jack's color.

-mario

Jeremy Ruston

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 10:26:4112. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario

The only problem I have is the icon size. The "globe" that changes color is way to small for me. If it turns blue or green, it's barely see-able. So for me, you could also change Jack's color.

Yes, I’m also finding the same problem, particularly with the Firefox Developer Edition default theme.

I’d welcome suggestions of alternative icons. The current approach of just using colour to distinguish between multiple states is poor practice; we need a clear transition between different shapes, not just different colours.

If anyone is interested in exploring alternatives (Thomas?), I’d welcome any proposals:

Best wishes

Jeremy

PMario

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 10:33:4112. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 4:26:41 PM UTC+1, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

we need a clear transition between different shapes, not just different colours.

That's right. Colour is not enough.
-m

Tobias Beer

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 14:58:2812. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Jeremy,

we need a clear transition between different shapes, not just different colours.

Perhaps. I would suggest we use just Jack and some colours and where it makes sense, some overlay or posture that indicates a status, e.g.
  • plain
    could just be Jack,
    in classic blue

  • disabled
    should possibly be a grey Jack,
    perhaps a lying cat, something lazy

  • enabled
    could be a green Jack,
    playing with a ball of fur

  • alert
    should be a red Jack,
    perhaps a falling cat, perhaps upside down
Best wishes,

Tobias.

Thomas Elmiger

neprečítané,
12. 1. 2017, 18:45:5712. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev

Hi Jeremy

In fact I did not notice the new icon between the other inverted ones:

If anyone is interested in exploring alternatives (Thomas?), I’d welcome any proposals:

In case I would find some time (which will not be the case during the next few days, maybe weeks), could you point me to an icon guideline for FF extensions?

The other problem I had: While overlooked and thus not activated, the yellow confirmation popped up (false positive) when saving a tiddler while the dirty indicator stayed dirty on the save-button. I found this irritating. Would it be possible to display a hint instead? ("Activate auto-save by clicking the cat icon in the toolbar" or something similar.)

Thank you and all the best!
Thomas

Jeremy Ruston

neprečítané,
13. 1. 2017, 12:55:3413. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

In case I would find some time (which will not be the case during the next few days, maybe weeks), could you point me to an icon guideline for FF extensions?

I haven’t come across any formal guidelines.

The other problem I had: While overlooked and thus not activated, the yellow confirmation popped up (false positive) when saving a tiddler while the dirty indicator stayed dirty on the save-button. I found this irritating. Would it be possible to display a hint instead? ("Activate auto-save by clicking the cat icon in the toolbar" or something similar.)

Interesting. Before activating saving for a wiki, from the perspective of the wiki, it’s exactly as if it is running in an ordinary instance of Firefox. So I think we’d need to introduce a way for TiddlyFox to signal to the loaded wiki that TiddlyFox is installed but not enabled. That’ll take some reorganisation of the way things work at the moment.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Thank you and all the best!
Thomas

Thomas Elmiger

neprečítané,
17. 1. 2017, 15:31:0817. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy, Mario and Tobias

I stole some time, so here is a first draft. I was inspired by Tobias’ suggestion and made just cats. As I don’t know how to deal with inverted themes and to keep things simple I did not use color. Let’s see if the icons speak for themselves.

I have to admit that I was not able to activate the disabled-state in my tiddlyfox – do we really need this one? How could I see it?

All the best,
Thomas

Tobias Beer

neprečítané,
17. 1. 2017, 15:58:2117. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Great artwork. I think with some coloring they work just great. Lot's of Jack, but... why not. ;-)

Best wishes,

Tobias.

PMario

neprečítané,
18. 1. 2017, 14:18:3118. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:31:08 PM UTC+1, Thomas Elmiger wrote:

Wow! ... I love them. all of them :)
-m

PMario

neprečítané,
18. 1. 2017, 14:20:4318. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:31:08 PM UTC+1, Thomas Elmiger wrote:
Hi Jeremy, Mario and Tobias
I stole some time, so here is a first draft. ...

It seems for the second one, the tail is too long and a bit too thick.

-m

Thomas Elmiger

neprečítané,
18. 1. 2017, 15:13:4318. 1. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Thank you for the feedback, Mario!

It seems for the second one, the tail is too long and a bit too thick.

-m

Full ack!
-t

Thomas Elmiger

neprečítané,
31. 1. 2017, 17:01:2031. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com

Here’s a new version of sleepy Jack. Colors can be added anytime …

Jeremy Ruston

neprečítané,
31. 1. 2017, 18:50:4831. 1. 2017
komu: tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

Excellent, I like these a lot. How are you producing them? Will you be able to produce SVGs? If you’re working in bitmaps, the shapes are simple enough that I can trace them (I use this http://potrace.sourceforge.net/).

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thomas Elmiger

neprečítané,
1. 2. 2017, 1:30:241. 2. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Jeremy,

Glad you like them.

How are you producing them?
I work with an old version of Illustrator, so I can save SVGs.

Questions:
1) How would you like the colours?
2) Can I simply make PRs for the SVGs?
3) I was not able to see the cat on the red ball until now. How can the user see (switch to) disabled state?

prog...@assays.tv

neprečítané,
1. 2. 2017, 11:30:341. 2. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Ciao Jeremy

A Tiddly reply.

It works fine.

The icon itself may be a bit SMALL for some viewing situations. The relative size of the GLOBE to the overall size can make it hard to register the colour when its smaller.

Best wishes
Josiah

Yakov

neprečítané,
7. 2. 2017, 9:24:307. 2. 2017
komu: TiddlyWikiDev
Hi guys,

very nice to hear about this update!

Unfortunately, I'm here to ask an unpleasant question: have you heard of this announcement [1]? In short: Addons will be substituted with WebExtensions and in FF 57 (shceduled for November 2017) Addons will be no longer supported (I've found out this because of this announcement [2] of the Tab Groups developer). Some more constructive info may be found at [3], including porting tips and call for API extension requests (if needed).

Best regards,
Yakov.

[1] https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/
[2] http://fasezero.com/lastnotice.html
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions

вторник, 3 января 2017 г., 19:41:20 UTC+3 пользователь Jeremy Ruston написал:
Odpovedať všetkým
Odpovedať autorovi
Poslať ďalej
0 nových správ