Manually adding tiddlers in TW5 - why are they not detected?

joearms

Mar 2, 2018, 12:08:07 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev

I'm using the node server version of TW5

As an experiment I thought I could just drop new .tid files into the tiddlers sub-directory but the system does not seem to find these files.

1) I made a tiddler called Hello

This gets saved in the tiddlers directory in a file Hello.tid

2) I copied this to a file Hello1.tid and edited the title to Hello1

So now I have two files Hello.tid and Hello1.tid in the tiddlers sub directory

3) reloaded the top page from 127.0.0.1:8080 In the More/All tab the tiddler Hello1.tid is missing

So how does the node version of TW5 know which tiddlers get in the all list? and why does Hello1.tid not

appear in this list - is node.js storing a list of all tiddlers somewhere??

/Joe

Simon Huber

Mar 2, 2018, 12:16:55 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev

Hi Joe, have you looked in the "More" sidebar tab under "All" ?
They might show up there

I think this is happens when the created: 201803... timestamp is missing but I'm not sure

Simon

Simon Huber

Mar 2, 2018, 12:18:26 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
oh, sorry! I didn't read you're post well enough

Simon Huber

Mar 2, 2018, 12:20:04 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
my last guess: the node process should be restarted

I like using pm2 for that (npm -g install pm2 or how you do it on your machine)

pm2 gracefulReload yourprocess is very handy

joearms

Mar 2, 2018, 12:22:14 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
That's where I looked - I thought it would be nice if I could just drop hundreds of .tid files into the tiddlers
sub directory but these don't seem to be detected - I've checked file permissions and so on they
are all readable but the server cannot seem to find them - it's a mac could they be quarantined?

/Joe

joearms

Mar 2, 2018, 12:30:59 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev

On Friday, 2 March 2018 18:20:04 UTC+1, Simon Huber wrote:
my last guess: the node process should be restarted

Yes - silly me - I should have thought of that.

I guess the node server assumes that nobody else will muck around with the
tiddlers sub directory while it is running - a restart did the job.

Thank you very much

/Joe

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 2, 2018, 12:45:31 PM3/2/18
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe

Yes - silly me - I should have thought of that.

I guess the node server assumes that nobody else will muck around with the
tiddlers sub directory while it is running - a restart did the job.

The original plan was indeed to support external modifications to the file system representation of the tiddler store. But back in the early days (2011 or 2012) Node.js didn’t have good cross platform support for watching the file system for changes and so I abandoned that approach. It’s something I’d like to revisit.

The workaround is to use the HTTP API, which means working in JSON.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thank you very much

/Joe

I like using pm2 for that (npm -g install pm2 or how you do it on your machine)

pm2 gracefulReload yourprocess is very handy

joearms

Mar 2, 2018, 1:06:35 PM3/2/18
to TiddlyWikiDev

On Friday, 2 March 2018 18:45:31 UTC+1, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Joe

Yes - silly me - I should have thought of that.

I guess the node server assumes that nobody else will muck around with the
tiddlers sub directory while it is running - a restart did the job.

The original plan was indeed to support external modifications to the file system representation of the tiddler store. But back in the early days (2011 or 2012) Node.js didn’t have good cross platform support for watching the file system for changes and so I abandoned that approach. It’s something I’d like to revisit.

The workaround is to use the HTTP API, which means working in JSON.

Do you mean set a PUT request to the server with the new tiddler

/Joe