Wrapping up the enhancements to the TW5 web server

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 3, 2018, 7:06:30 AM7/3/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
I’m now reaching the end of the enhancements I’d planned for the TW5 web server. Briefly summarising the new features:

* Replaces the “server” command with a new, less unwieldy “listen” command that takes named parameters
* Configurable to allow anonymous reading but require logging in to edit
* Configurable to restrict reading and writing to arbitrary lists of users
* Editing controls are now hidden unless the user has write access to the wiki
* Multiple user identities via a CSV file of usernames and passwords
* Serving static files that are not part of the wiki
* Support for HTTPS
* Authentication via trusted headers
* An experimental new single tiddler per page static view with hyperlinks but no other interactive features
* CSRF protection (albeit fairly minimal at this point)

It’s a major rework but, as usual, it is intended to be fully backwards compatible with existing wikis and existing command lines.

I’d much appreciate help in a few areas:

* Verifying that the new stuff doesn’t break backwards compatibility of existing scripts using the --server command
* Checking out the new functionality
* Helping ensure that the documentation is adequate

The new stuff is still in a branch, so if you’re working under Node.js you’ll need to check out this branch to try it out:

I’ve also used this branch to build https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease, so you can see the new documentation there:

Any other questions and comments are welcome,

Best wishes

Jeremy

TonyM

Jul 3, 2018, 11:45:21 AM7/3/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
Wow,

Very exciting. I will do what I can to adsist.

Tony

Andreas Hahn

Jul 3, 2018, 12:00:00 PM7/3/18
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeremy,

I really appreciate all of these new features and will give this a
proper test within the next few days.

Fun fact: I don't know how you knew, but the static file server route
uses the same path that my current main wiki also uses to serve static
files, meaning all links/_canonical_uri's will work out of the box for
me. Thank you!

It should be of note that we also now require at least node version
v9.6.0 to run the server (earlier versions don't support options to
createServer for http)

/Andreas

PMario

Jul 4, 2018, 8:42:37 AM7/4/18
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 6:00:00 PM UTC+2, Andreas Hahn wrote:
It should be of note that we also now require at least node version
v9.6.0 to run the server (earlier versions don't support options to
createServer for http)

ouch ..

9.x is not an LTS version. I'd like to be able to use LTS only!  ... 10.x will be the next one. .. BUT latest always has some "cracks".

I didn't test the new TW-server version, but I definitely would like to stay with the stable node branch.

-m

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 4, 2018, 8:51:40 AM7/4/18
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Mario, Andreas

On 4 Jul 2018, at 13:42, PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 6:00:00 PM UTC+2, Andreas Hahn wrote:
It should be of note that we also now require at least node version
v9.6.0 to run the server (earlier versions don't support options to
createServer for http)

ouch ..

9.x is not an LTS version. I'd like to be able to use LTS only!  ... 10.x will be the next one. .. BUT latest always has some "cacks".

I didn't test the new version, but I definitely would like to stay with the stable node branch.

Yes, I’d prefer to keep compatibility with as old a Node.js as possible. It looks like the solution is to just use the options parameter in the HTTPS case, I’ll investigate further.

Best wishes

Jeremy

-m