Plugin use complication under node

TonyM

Jun 2, 2020, 8:53:29 PM6/2/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Folks

Note that including a plugin as an ordinary tiddler (e.g. by dragging and dropping a plugin into the browser) will result in the plugin only being active in the browser, and not available under Node.js.

This seems like an unnecessary complication, It there a possibility of finding a solution, even if it requires an additional step in the browser? it seems to me there is no technical limitation just a need for a special server message or something?

  • Or is this about Browser security again, limiting the plugins being added to the server?
  • Could it only work on 127.x.x.x addresses ie on the server itself

I believe a lot of users move to Node for serving wikis, and don't want to necessarily get involved with files and commands. Personally I make a lot of use on Node servers for tiddlywiki but have not yet ventured into folder land itself. Bob.exe is a great help as is TiddlyServer.

Even then, when I do consider a move to folder wiki manipulation the documentation is not helpful to the transition from single file knowledge to node, this scattered and jargon filled.

Any thoughts?

I hope this raises a Question that only someone on the journey feels compelled to ask. And when I have passed this mile stone I can remember and share my knowledge for future people on this Journey. Unless some of you do so first.

Regards
Tony

Joshua Fontany

Jun 2, 2020, 11:04:36 PM6/2/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
I don't think that's accurate. I think is should say:

"will result in the plugin only being active for the wiki loaded in the browser, and not available under Node.js to other wikis."

At least, that is my understanding of how things work.

Best,
Joshua F

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 4:53:58 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Joshua,

Thanks for the clarity, that makes a lot more sense now

But I still ask
The only problem is that if someone is using the node version, bob etc... and they do want the plugins available, why cant we make available a method to to push such plugins into the folder via the server?

I am confident is possible, and and no rocket science is required (Not that I can do it) it is just an unnecessary hurdle for new users on node.

I submitted a document change as per your suggestion in GitHub.

regards
Tony

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 8:17:35 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
In this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/tiddlywiki/6-GqMbja2HI raised by David Gifford, we can see there may be something else we can do here.

I think we can catch 2 to 3 birds (with one gentle net)

Jed Carty

Jun 3, 2020, 6:27:51 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
If what you are talking about is being able to install a plugin in a wiki by dragging and dropping and then have that plugin available for other node wikis to use via tiddlywiki.info, this is a feature that is available in Bob. It isn't documented much because I really don't want the headache of doing tech support on something as varied as plugins.

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 8:22:58 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Jed,

I will stay a way from a not well documented feature, I presume it is not on by default, because I don't recall this effect. However it is nice to know the mechanism is possible.

I would like to see it built into the node implementation rather than only bob, you are also already responsible for maintaining bob, so you don't need more.

it would be nice if some of your design concepts could be driven back into the standard node, if you were happy with that, because they are valuable to the community.

I now rund 20+ TiddlyWikis of Bob,
Thanks
Tony

PMario

Jun 4, 2020, 4:59:02 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 2:22:58 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:

I will stay a way from a not well documented feature, I presume it is not on by default, because I don't recall this effect. However it is nice to know the mechanism is possible.

hmm. Do you really want to have the possibility, that a user imports a plugin, that you don't know and the next time you restart the server this plugin modifies your server. ... Good luck! ..  and

have fun!
mario

Jed Carty

Jun 4, 2020, 6:56:34 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
You have to manually tell the wiki to save the plugin as something available to the rest of the wikis. And Mario gives one of many reasons that it is a terrible idea to make the behaviour automatic.