Display (working) Access external content inside a wiki

TonyM

May 19, 2020, 10:01:53 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Folks,

I currently use TiddlyDesktop single file wiki, to launch a network check batch file, that generates the results from pinging various targets.

I can then review the results in a tiddler using html object tag;

<object width="100%" height="930" data="file:///C:\Data\batches\networkcheck.txt"></object>

I added a refresh button, which just time stamps the tiddler thus the object tag is also refreshed. It works well and I wanted to share this incase you can make use of it.

I am in someways re-asking this question because perhaps you have gained fresh insight of late.

Is there away to extract the text from the tiddler displaying this external content and capture it in the current wiki, such as to archive the contents in a tiddler?
  • A lot more can be done as a result of being able to capture the content for further interrogation

Perhaps it needs another html tag, a tricky use of an iframe, another import mechanism, but if you have any ideas please share.
  • This could help automate/scrape content
  • Support the new HTML/XML tools
  • Have external CSS stylesheets that you optional import and modify
  • The refresh button code is below if you need it, but this is also an opportunity to trigger an import or other action to gain access to the content.
<$button set="Networkcheck!!last-refresh" setTo=<<now "0hh:0mm">> >
Refresh {{Networkcheck!!last-refresh}}
</$button

Thanks in advance
Tony

okido

May 21, 2020, 4:14:51 AM5/21/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Tony,

I used similar way of working to get data in but I dropped TiddlyDesktop as it was to restrictive passing the data between iframes etc.
Now I run a TWc on nw.js and this opens a box of possibilities and security risks, be aware.
This enables all I/O you want, start a batch file or any other application and import the created file etc. by a mouse click and make a tiddler out of it.
The core code you can find here.

Have a nice day, Okido

TonyM

May 21, 2020, 9:30:12 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Okido,

Thanks for that, TiddlyDesktop does the much same, I have a legacy database in TWC but are now developing in TW5

As tiddlydesktop has full access to the host these gaps you mention should be resolvable.
  • Can you actually automate the  "import the created file" step?
  • I understand iframe communication is possible but do not know how to do it
    • The innerwiki plugin does I believe.
 Regards
Tony

okido

Jun 1, 2020, 5:46:12 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Tony,

Yes, the import can be done when you open a tiddler, this refers to TWc.
I open a tiddler and than a folder is scanned for .csv files, for every file a button is created, I can than select the specific .csv by the click of a button to load the data and the data is processed to a graph that is printed as pdf.
Some of the concepts I used are available in the nwHive wiki if you are interested, can be found here.
This should be possible in TW5 too, the only thing is that there is a fence for safety between TW5 and the I/O system when I remember correctly, you need to signal change handlers to pass on data from one side to the other.
I guess that there are people on this forum that can help you further.

Have a nice day, Okido