[newbie] Setting up sync/saving

Flan Mou

May 17, 2020, 12:22:32 PM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

Aspiring Roam refugee here, trying to get started with TiddlyWiki and specifically Stroll.

I'm a bit confused with my sync and saving options. My use case is that I need sync between computers (and mobile).

I managed to set up to push to Github repo and that works. When I hit the Save button, the remote repo updates but the local html file doesn't. Am I doing something wrong? Furthermore, it's not clear how I should do pulls from the repo to get updates.

Then I read in the dev documentation something about SyncAdaptor and I started to think that "Saving" isn't the thing I want. So now I'm a bit confused.

Surely this is a common enough usage model that someone else has a clean method to:
- Simultaneously save the local html file and push to the remote repo.
- Pull from the remote repo to refresh the local html file (without doing command-line git commands).

Thanks!

Mark S.

May 18, 2020, 7:30:56 PM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello and welcome,

When you're set up to "save" via GH, it does nothing to save to your local file. It's sort of like you have to pick one or the other.  There are various other saving options for saving to your local system. AFAIK, none of them operate at the same time as the GH saver.

The simplest way to save a local copy is to go into your saver plugins (under settings, plugins, savers) and delete your user name or password from the GH saver. Now click on the red check icon and your browser will save a copy of your file to your browser's download directory. If you already have a copy of your file there, it will save your file as a numbered copy.

In terms of a nearly seamless use, you can set up github to serve up your tw file. Search for "github pages". Your file will then have a url like:

You an then set up the GH saver to push your saves to the equivalent location in your GH .io repository. Whatever device you're on, just browse to https://myname.github.io/myfiles/stroll.html, refresh, pop in the GH password token, and you're off and running. Save your changes. Then when you go to other device, just browse the url again and there you have it. Whenever you need a local copy, just disconnect the GH saver, click on the check mark, and you'll have a local copy in your download directory.

If you make changes to your local copy, you can reconnect the GH saver, and push them back to GH.

HTH

Flan Mou

May 18, 2020, 9:57:06 PM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
That is indeed useful, thanks!

I decided on using TiddlyDrive, which seems to be working pretty well for me so far. The downside is the (apparent) absence of mobile support. One hurdle at a time though. :)

Thanks.

Michael Durland

May 19, 2020, 2:02:24 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've been using TiddlyDrive successfully on Android. Once I added TiddlyDrive as an app to my Google Drive/Docs, then it showed up on mobile automatically. I open the Google Drive app on Android, navigate to the TiddlyWiki file, and then do Open With TiddlyDrive. It opens in Chrome. TiddlyDrive automatically saves in the background, so changes are sync'ed to the Google Drive cloud.

Flan Mou

May 19, 2020, 2:17:16 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yeah, it worked! Awesome, thanks.