favicon in tiddlywiki5.x

Backslash

Apr 15, 2015, 6:02:27 AM4/15/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
just to enhance documentation after spending some hours to understand how favicon works.
In this tiddler:
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Setting%20a%20favicon
You could add following lines to explain better how to add a favicon (tested on chrome 42 and firefox 37 on linux platform):

Already formatted for tiddliwiki

* Search for favicon in search bar on right side and open or create $:/favicon.ico
* convert your image (16x16) in base64, in linux just type in cli:
```
your_image_filename.ico base64 > favicon.txt
```

* again in tiddler $:/favicon.ico in plaintext first copy the content of favicon.txt (the base64 img) and then set the content type to "ico format icon file image/x-icon)
*save

best regards

Roma Hicks

Apr 15, 2015, 12:13:58 PM4/15/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Also you can use other file formats but it depends on the support of the browser.
And unsurprisingly... IE is going to be third wheel when it comes to PNG, and GIF.

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:21:30 AM UTC-5, Mat wrote:
The way I do it, I use some drawing software to create a 16x16px image and then just dragn'drop import it, and then rename it to $:/favicon.ico.

<:-)

Mat

Apr 15, 2015, 11:21:30 AM4/15/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The way I do it, I use some drawing software to create a 16x16px image and then just dragn'drop import it, and then rename it to $:/favicon.ico.

<:-)

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 13, 2015, 11:29:56 PM9/13/15
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, this was really helpful, as the official documentation didn't mention this at all. I was trying to use a standard text/vnd.tiddlywiki tiddler with the contents [img[./images/favicon.ico]] to display the favicon, and couldn't work out why it wasn't working properly even when I changed it to an image/x-icon type. In the official TW5 documentation, neither Setting a favicon nor ContentType mention converting to base64 at all. I would update the documentation myself, except that it currently requires a pull request with GitHub to do that, and that's not a skill I have mastered yet.

PMario

Sep 14, 2015, 7:52:51 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 5:29:56 AM UTC+2, Hegart Dmishiv wrote:
Thanks, this was really helpful, as the official documentation didn't mention this at all. I was trying to use a standard text/vnd.tiddlywiki tiddler with the contents [img[./images/favicon.ico]] to display the favicon, and couldn't work out why it wasn't working properly even when I changed it to an image/x-icon type. In the official TW5 documentation, neither Setting a favicon nor ContentType mention converting to base64 at all. I would update the documentation myself, except that it currently requires a pull request with GitHub to do that, and that's not a skill I have mastered yet.

Just in case you want to try it. It's relatively easy. .. And we are really happy to get help with the documentation. Especially from new users. ... It turns out that "newbie" questions fade away, when users get more advanced ;) So feedback from new folks is most valuable!

Have a look at: http://tiddlywiki.com/#Improving%20TiddlyWiki%20Documentation  There are 3 videos, that I created some time ago. They are about 7 minutes long (each) ... So just give it a shot. You can't do anything wrong. Just improve your skills and help the community ;)

have fun!
mario

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2015, 8:49:01 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Hegart

I don't think that the original instructions from Backslash are correct. You do not need to manually base-64 encode images. Here's the steps I would recommend:

* Import your favicon image in .ICO or .PNG format
* Rename it to $:/favicon.ico

I think the confusion around base 64 encoding arose because the body of images are encoded that way when they are stored in tiddlers. But the conversion happens automatically.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 9:25:47 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki, jeremy...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:49:01 AM UTC+12, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
* Import your favicon image in .ICO or .PNG format

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by "import" here? I'm looking at http://tiddlywiki.com/#Images in WikiText and I see nothing there about having to import an image, and neither does http://tiddlywiki.com/#ExternalImages. I don't understand how to import an image, other than with the base64 example by Backslash.

Comparing this to my previous experience with MediaWiki software, I would normally be trying to upload the image to the wiki server, which I understand that I don't need to do here with TiddlyWiki. But there doesn't seem to be an "Import" button or option anywhere.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2015, 10:17:53 AM9/14/15
to Hegart Dmishiv, TiddlyWiki
Hi Hegart

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by "import" here? I'm looking at http://tiddlywiki.com/#Images in WikiText and I see nothing there about having to import an image, and neither does http://tiddlywiki.com/#ExternalImages. I don't understand how to import an image, other than with the base64 example by Backslash.

There are two ways to import files using the single HTML file configuration:

* Locate the "import" button in the "Tools" tab of the sidebar (the icon is a paperclip)
* Drag and drop a file from your file explorer into the TiddlyWiki browser window

In either case, you should see an $:/Import tiddler that allows you to review the pending imports before clicking to complete the import

There's some documentation at http://tiddlywiki.com/#ImportTiddlers but it doesn't say much more than the above.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Comparing this to my previous experience with MediaWiki software, I would normally be trying to upload the image to the wiki server, which I understand that I don't need to do here with TiddlyWiki. But there doesn't seem to be an "Import" button or option anywhere.

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 10:59:00 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki, hegart....@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 2:17:53 AM UTC+12, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
There are two ways to import files using the single HTML file configuration:

* Locate the "import" button in the "Tools" tab of the sidebar (the icon is a paperclip)

Ah, thanks. That really wasn't obvious at all. No mention of it in the documentation, and even if I had noticed that button in the list, there is nothing to show that it can be used for importing images. I probably saw it and dismissed it as a way to import tiddlers, which no doubt it can also do.

* Drag and drop a file from your file explorer into the TiddlyWiki browser window

I try to avoid drag and drop where possible. I'm on a laptop with minimal screen real estate, and moving windows around to try to drag from one to the other is a nuisance.

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 11:13:13 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 11:52:51 PM UTC+12, PMario wrote:
Just in case you want to try it. It's relatively easy. .. And we are really happy to get help with the documentation. Especially from new users. ... It turns out that "newbie" questions fade away, when users get more advanced ;) So feedback from new folks is most valuable!

Have a look at: http://tiddlywiki.com/#Improving%20TiddlyWiki%20Documentation  There are 3 videos, that I created some time ago. They are about 7 minutes long (each) ... So just give it a shot. You can't do anything wrong. Just improve your skills and help the community ;)

Thanks Mario, I've watched the first of your videos and followed along to fork the repo and create my first pull request. I must say that it isn't as easy as it looks. I could follow your directions quite fine, and navigating the GitHub interface itself wasn't a problem. The issue I found was with editing the document in a text editor without the benefit of a preview function or WYSIWYG editing. Editing a wiki should not be so difficult. Editing a wiki through text documents on GitHub is really not a good solution, and I look forward to seeing how the upcoming Tiddlyverse/federation can improve on this situation.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2015, 11:28:38 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Hegart

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Hegart Dmishiv <hegart....@gmail.com> wrote:
The issue I found was with editing the document in a text editor without the benefit of a preview function or WYSIWYG editing. Editing a wiki should not be so difficult.

You may find it easier to use TiddlyWiki in the client-server configuration. I do most of my documentation editing by running ./bin/serve.sh and opening 127.0.0.1:8080 in a browser.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 11:43:35 AM9/14/15
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 3:28:38 AM UTC+12, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
You may find it easier to use TiddlyWiki in the client-server configuration. I do most of my documentation editing by running ./bin/serve.sh and opening 127.0.0.1:8080 in a browser.

Um, from what little I understand, the ./bin/serve.sh file you mentioned is a shell script located in a ./bin folder somewhere, which is a relative address (because it starts with a dot). But relative to where? I tried to find it using which serve.sh but it doesn't appear to be on my computer anywhere. Sorry, I really am a beginner here.

Mat

Sep 14, 2015, 11:55:16 AM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 5:13:13 PM UTC+2, Hegart Dmishiv wrote:
[...] fork the repo and create my first pull request. I must say that it isn't as easy as it looks. I could follow your directions quite fine, and navigating the GitHub interface itself wasn't a problem.

Pull requests are also accepted via TiddlySpot! I.e you can set up a TiddlySpot and upload your edited TW to there and announce it to Jeremy. IMO this is much simpler.

  1. You go to http://tiddlyspot.com/ and register a new tiddlyspot.
    When get the confirmation that it is created and it shows a link to it - don't click it yet! No problem if you do, but you then come to the default verrsion which is TW classic.
  2. Regardless if you did click the link or not, you now wish to upload your modified TW to to overwrite that new tiddlyspot. This is done via your modified TWs Controlpanel under tab "Saving".
  3. After you've uploaded, now you click that confirmation link... (or reload the TW classic) so you see you new TW5 that is your pull request.

Actually, I'm hoping this could be much simplified so that you can create a new TiddlySpot and upload in one go, directly from any TW. I'll post about this soon, but I've written on it in TWaddle.

The issue I found was with editing the document in a text editor without the benefit of a preview function or WYSIWYG editing. Editing a wiki should not be so difficult.

Might my SideEditor be of help?

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2015, 12:06:26 PM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat

Pull requests are also accepted via TiddlySpot! I.e you can set up a TiddlySpot and upload your edited TW to there and announce it to Jeremy. IMO this is much simpler.

Well, it's only simpler for the submitter! It's quite a lot of work for me. I've done it in the past when people have wanted to submit translations but don't know how to do so with GitHub. It makes sense for things like that, but for minor tweaks I'm in a much better position to accept pull requests. For example, this one by Hegart is the kind of thing that it might be reasonable even for relative beginners to do via GitHub:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

[...]

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 6:14:47 PM9/14/15
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:06:26 AM UTC+12, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
For example, this one by Hegart is the kind of thing that it might be reasonable even for relative beginners to do via GitHub:

Speaking of which, we went through that process last night, I forked the repo, committed a change, and made a pull request, and you merged my change (I think that's the right language to use for all this), but I still don't see my changes reflected on http://tiddlywiki.com/#Spelling. Where did my edit go?

RichardWilliamSmith

Sep 14, 2015, 8:17:42 PM9/14/15
to TiddlyWiki, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Hegart,

Your edit is in the repo: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/tree/master/editions/tw5.com - it should first appear in the prerelease at http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/ when that gets re-built and then will become part of the official release next time jeremy releases a version.

Regards,
Richard

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 14, 2015, 10:17:03 PM9/14/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Richard,

Thanks for explaining that. Gosh, how inefficient! I'm sure there's huge benefit to the development team in doing it that way, but from the perspective of an end user it doesn't seem like a good way of organising community-contributed documentation. I guess it does allow the developers to have a governance role over the documentation for their product, ensuring that nothing slips in that is inaccurate (or worse), but there is overwhelming support these days for crowd-sourcing, and relying on the community to regulate itself, rather than a strict, permission-based procedure like this. Also, allowing the community to regulate itself tends to enhance the end-user's feeling of personal ownership, responsibility for, and pride in the project.

Sure, any member of the TW community can no doubt go ahead and create their own community-contributed documentation. With the open-source licensing agreements in place, they can probably seed their own documentation project from the official documentation source initially, too. This, however, would lead to the situation (and probably has already) addressed in this discussion on the TiddlyWikiDev forums.

The only solution I can see is, roll on the Tiddlyverse/federation, so that TW wikis, including the TiddlyWiki project documentation itself, can be contributed to and updated in real time. After all, that is the very definition of a wiki.

The term 'wiki' comes from the Hawaiian phrase, 'wiki wiki,' which means 'super fast.' - TechTerms.com

Would you call the procedure that you've described above, of waiting for a whole new version to come out, as being "super fast"?

Tobias Beer

Sep 15, 2015, 4:23:22 AM9/15/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Hegart,

I wouldn't think of the current process as "permission based". It's simply the way things are managed atm, that is by Jeremy himself.

As for "wiki-wiki", try to decouple TiddlyWiki itself from the actual website introducing it, e.g. imagining that tiddlywiki.com wasn't actually running on TiddlyWiki itself. Traditionally both have been interwoven, so one could expect that working with the official presentation would be just as simple as working with a local copy. Well, it isn't quite the same process. ^_^

The current process surely is nothing high-speed, but it has its merits...
  • Jeremy does an excellent job of assuring content quality and integrity
  • problems with merging content for the next release are avoided
    • which would otherwise complicate the release process, trying to avoid content edits being overwritten
A more community driven process might be speedier at the ramp up but would come with risks with respect to both of the above. Personally, I would advocate the same process, but decoupled from actual TW release. That way, content updates could be refreshed maybe once a day, or even just once a week, whereas release content — both release components and documentation — would be merged and updated during release rollout. The longer the release cycles might be(come), the more this is a favorable approach.

An entirely community-driven documentation process (and platform) would surely require vigilant and rigorous moderation so as to avoid things becoming all too bloated, chaotic, redundant, amateurish... and all that jazz.

— tb

Evolena

Sep 15, 2015, 5:18:19 AM9/15/15
to TiddlyWiki
The issue with being able to directly edit the TW5.com is that, unlike other wikis systems, the TW core is also editable, so anyone could break it, or worse. So the moderation is far more important than content-only moderation.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 15, 2015, 5:48:17 AM9/15/15
to TiddlyWiki
We manage the TiddlyWiki source code and build process on GitHub, like most open source projects. We also manage the documentation as thought it were part of the software. That's not terrible: it's pretty useful to keep the core reference documentation under tight control to make it easier to try to improve and assure the quality and reliability. The downside is that the barriers to participation through GitHub are pretty high, requiring the ability to use both GitHub and the Node.js configuration of TiddlyWiki.

It would be great to start using an online collaborative system to which the broad community can contribute, starting with community documentation and eventually moving the reference documentation there too. One issue is that I am personally not keen to take the entire responsibility for a community collaboration space as I do for the TiddlyWiki code itself; managing a shared wiki is an onerous task and I'm not confident that I've the bandwidth to be the best person to do it. I'm thinking particularly of the issues around spam and community standards of behaviour.

We faced the same challenges with TiddlyWiki Classic. At first we used an instance of MediaWiki, and then we migrated to the TiddlySpace-based tiddlywiki.org that you see today.

For TiddlyWiki5, my goal is to use federation features, as previously discussed. In a nutshell, very similar to Erwan's experiments: a process for registering wikis that participate in the community federation, and conventions for marking tiddlers as being comments directed to other users, or threaded into shared conversations. The main technical requirement is the ability for any participant to trigger a rebuild of the static files that are served to visitors. I'm hoping to use Amazon Lambda for that.

Finally, I should say that there are two particular problems with content updates at the moment:

* The TW5 release cycle has slowed down. Partly that's a natural consequence of its maturity, and partly its because I've been much busier with my dayjob over the last few months
* I accidentally broke the ability for me to push content updates independently of updates to the core code :( Hopefully, post-5.1.10 I'll resume being able to push content updates every few days

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Evolena <julie.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
The issue with being able to directly edit the TW5.com is that, unlike other wikis systems, the TW core is also editable, so anyone could break it, or worse. So the moderation is far more important than content-only moderation.

Hegart Dmishiv

Sep 15, 2015, 7:49:55 AM9/15/15
to TiddlyWiki, jeremy...@gmail.com
Wow, such a lot to think about here, thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the situation as it is now, and the fact that the documentation for TiddlyWiki 5 is running on an instance of TiddlyWiki 5 software itself, so there needs to be permission-based control. I just look at what is available in the way of documentation for TW Classic and wish there was that level/quality of documentation available for TW5 now. Like Wikipedia wasn't born overnight, no doubt it took quite some time for the TWC documentation to arrive in the state that it's in now on tiddlywiki.org. So I understand that the TW5 documentation will also take some time to be as "polished" as the TWC docs. However, it seems to me like a circular problem, that the documentation for TW5 isn't up to scratch because there might not be enough people contributing to it yet, but to get more people contributing you need more people using the TW5 software, and to get more people using it, there needs to be good documentation in place to support them as they learn how to use it.

I don't have answers, just more questions, sorry. I'm not a developer, and can't realistically contribute to the coding of the project. All power to you smart people who are working on improving the codebase and bringing us the Tiddlyverse. I can, however, contribute to the documentation of TW5 now, thanks to Jeremy and Mario encouraging me to learn about GitHub. I'll do what I can to contribute there, as I learn more about using TW5. I just wish it were easier to do, and with more instant gratification, as in, being able to see the fruits of my labours immediately. I'm not asking for an increased release cycle rate, I don't want to put any undue pressure on anyone. This is a labour of love for all concerned, anyway. We're all volunteers here, AFAIK.

Kevin Waite

Aug 30, 2017, 7:50:38 PM8/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
uhmmmm.... actually that is 'base64 MyFavicon.ico > favicon.txt'  but it DOES work, setting type to image/x-icon so thank you for this!