New to TiddlyWiki - need some advice regarding images

Rhod Evans

May 11, 2020, 3:05:14 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi - I'm a landscape painter and a long term user of Day One which I use for my daily art journal.  I'm new to Tiddlywiki and wondering if it can replace Day One as my art journal.  Inevitably, as a painter, my journal is very image heavy.  Would it be best to establish a folder for images and reference them from the wiki, or to include the images in the wiki?  Either way, can someone let me know in simple terms (I'm not very techie!) how to go about this?  Many thanks! Rhod

Joshua Fontany

May 11, 2020, 9:28:16 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
To manage large collections of images, I recommend having them in a folder next to your wiki. Well, the actual setup depends on how you are hosting/serving your wiki.

If you open a local `index.html` or equivalent, with one of the browser savers, then you can simply have an `./images` directory next to your wiki, and then you will need to create a tiddler for each image with the `type` field set correctly, and the `_canonical_url` field set to either the local path "./images/monaLisa_daVinciLeonardo.png", or the absolute path "/c/tiddlywikis/artwiki/images/monaLisa_daVinciLeonardo.png". Then you can call it in other places with its title like `[img[Leonardo DaVinci/Mona Lisa]]` or `{{Leonardo DaVinci/Mona Lisa}}`.

If you are serving the wiki from Node.js, there is a way to define the metadata for all files ina folder, and import them all in one go.

Ref: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Using%20the%20integrated%20static%20file%20server:%5B%5BImages%20in%20WikiText%5D%5D%20ExternalImages%20%5B%5BUsing%20the%20integrated%20static%20file%20server%5D%5D

Rhod Evans

May 12, 2020, 5:13:04 AM5/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for that Joshua - I guessed it would be better to have them in a separate folder.  I will have a play with the different options.  Whilst it would be 'nice' to have it on my phone too, I'm happy enough with a local copy for now.

Thanks again for your response.
Rhod

Sylvain Naudin

May 12, 2020, 5:07:21 PM5/12/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le mardi 12 mai 2020 11:13:04 UTC+2, Rhod Evans a écrit :
Thanks for that Joshua - I guessed it would be better to have them in a separate folder.  I will have a play with the different options.  Whilst it would be 'nice' to have it on my phone too, I'm happy enough with a local copy for now.

Thanks again for your response.
Rhod

Hi,

If you work in a local copy for now, you could try TiddlyDesktop (https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop/releases) in combination with his specific external-attachments plugin :

This plugin provides support for importing tiddlers as external attachments. That means that instead of importing binary files as self-contained tiddlers, they are imported as "skinny" tiddlers that reference the original file via the _canonical_uri field. This reduces the size of the wiki and thus improves performance. However, it does mean that the wiki is no longer fully self-contained.

Sylvain

Rhod Evans

May 12, 2020, 6:28:47 PM5/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
 Hi Sylvain - thanks for that.  I have downloaded and installed TiddlyDesktop on my Mac and it's working fine.  Is the plugin included with TiddlyDesktop, or do I need to install it separately?  If so, if you could point me at guidance on how to do that I'd be really grateful.

Sylvain Naudin

May 13, 2020, 2:24:22 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le mercredi 13 mai 2020 00:28:47 UTC+2, Rhod Evans a écrit :
 Hi Sylvain - thanks for that.  I have downloaded and installed TiddlyDesktop on my Mac and it's working fine.  Is the plugin included with TiddlyDesktop, or do I need to install it separately?  If so, if you could point me at guidance on how to do that I'd be really grateful.

Rhod

Indeed it's not installed by default. You can install it like normal way installing plugin. Open ControlPanel on Plugins tab. Clic blue button Get more plugins :

Then on green button open plugin library.
You can search to filter list, with external for example, and clic install, save and relaod.

Sylvain Naudin

May 13, 2020, 2:27:06 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
When I said specific, it's not so much in TiddlyDesktop, it's in every TW, but that this plugin is only useful when using TiddlyDesktop.

Sylvain

Rhod Evans

May 13, 2020, 3:33:05 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki