A basket on the sidebar

Atronoush Parsi

May 3, 2021, 5:08:06 PM5/3/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Is there any script or plugin with

- a sidebar tab (I call it basket)
- drag and drop features! One can drag a tiddler (e.g title) into the basket
- when finished press a button to export as JSON
- the button can be dragged and drop into another wiki!

The last part is what you see in TW-Icons

-Atro

Soren Bjornstad

May 3, 2021, 7:14:39 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a simple version. Put it in a tiddler called Basket and tag it $:/tags/SideBar:

\define apply-tag() <$list filter={{Basket!!list}}><$action-listops $tags="Basket"/></$list>
\define clear-tag() <$list filter="[tag[Basket]]"><$action-listops $tags="-Basket"/></$list><$action-setfield $tiddler="Basket" list=""/>
\define export-basket() <$action-sendmessage $message="tm-download-file" $param="$:/core/templates/exporters/JsonFile" exportFilter={{Basket!!list}} filename=<<exportButtonFilename """basket.json""">>/>

Basket (drag tiddlers here):

<<list-links-draggable "Basket">>

<$button actions=<<apply-tag>> tooltip="Add the 'Basket' tag to all items in the basket.">Apply tag</$button>
<<tag Basket>>
<$button actions=<<export-basket>> tooltip="Export all the items in the basket to a JSON file.">Export JSON</$button>
<$button actions=<<clear-tag>> tooltip="Remove the 'Basket' tag from all items and clear the basket list.">Empty basket</$button>

The list-links-draggable widget allows you to drag and drop tiddlers (putting this as a sidebar tab might make it a little hard to source tiddlers to drag though -- maybe better to put it somewhere else!). Those will be stored in the list field of the Basket tiddler. Then the "Apply Tag" button lets you tag each of those tiddlers, if you so desire. You can then drag and drop the tag into a different wiki to copy the tiddlers, or use the Export JSON button to export a JSON file. The empty button will remove the Basket tag from all tiddlers where it's used and clear out the list.

Opportunities for improvement:
  • It would be possible to roll something using the $dropzone widget that would automatically add the tag and eliminate the need for the "Apply Tag" step. I was feeling lazy and wanted to use list-links-draggable.
  • You might consider temporarily turning off timestamps while tagging and untagging things so that they don't show up as modified just because you were selecting them (not sure if there's a way to do that with an action tiddler).
  • The interface here leaves something to be desired, but should be functional.

TW Tones

May 3, 2021, 8:33:29 PM5/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Soren,

Nice example. I note opening the basket tiddler in a new window allows you to drag titles to it.

Just some thoughts for futures
  • It would be nice to have the ability to drag the JSON from one wiki to another, rather than go via file save and import. I have a button that does this within the attached json. This is unpublished and not final.
  • Since this tool simply updates a list field this could be applied to the story list, or we could permit dragging of list fields to a basket.
  • Additional baskets would be nice eg: add basket button.
  • A version that removes the tiddler (converts it to within a JSON) and deletes it would also be useful.
I am keen to get simple to use "list making and manipulation" tools. This is a nice start.

Tones
package-tools.json

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 2:53:09 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atro,

Very nice question and a lot of use cases!!

You get two solutions from Soren and Tones!
The Soren solution implements a real basket !  Soren said it is a lazy solution! I want to see if I can be lazier! ;-)

Third solution
  1. Clone the Open tab in the sidebar ( $:/core/ui/SideBar/Open  )
  2. rename it to "myBasket"
  3. change the caption to Basek (I named it Atro Basket for Atronoush)
  4. make small change (e.g set the tv-story-list to myBasket to use it instead of TW tv-story-list)
  5. change close all to clear all to clear the list of myBasket
  6. add an export button to export tiddlers in basket (e.g listed in myBasket list field)
  7. make your button draggable (for example use dragFilter)
How it works
  1. Open the Atro Basket in the sidebar  (see attached file)
  2. add items to Basket in different ways like below
    1. drag and drop links, titles to Basket
    2. drag a tag pill to add all tiddler with that tag
    3. if you are not happy click clear all to remove all tiddlers in basket
    4. if you like remove any item click the remove button
  3. Export
    1. click export button to export json (all tiddlers in the basket as json) OR
    2. drag and drop the export button to other wiki to import all tiddlers in basket to your wiki  (your button is draggable)
    3. when finished! if you like to empty the Basket, click clear all

I have attached the working tiddler here! Drop into https://tiddlywiki.com/ and see how it works!

Best wishes
Mohammad

myBasket.json

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 3:01:08 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Fourth solution

If you like a quick solution without extra coding see Favorites from kookma!

I. install Favorites plugin (skip this step if you have it)

II. use Favorites Basket
1. on the sidebar open Favorites
2. Click the setting button (gear button)
3. Create a Basket folder
4. keep open the Favorites tab in the sidebar
5. add items by drag and drop
   5.1. use drag and drop links/titles
   5.2 use drag and drop tag pills
   5.3. remove items if you are not happy with list
6. when finished
  6.1. Click the setting button (gear button)
  6.2. Open Export tab
  6.3 Export the folder

Best wishes
Mohammad

Atronoush Parsi

May 4, 2021, 4:26:44 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Soren
Lovely solution! Works great for me and I like the possiblity to add tags before export. In the target wiki I can recognize what I imported

@Tones
I love your solution! I can have several basket in this way

@Mohmmad
WOW, I learnt I can use TW elemnts theirslves and I can shape  them for my use case.
I love the draggable button! I can export to a file, or drag the button to target wiki! Amazing!!

Thank you all! While I am very happy with all these solutions., I really appreciate the help of this wonderful community!

--Atro

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 5:29:21 AM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
There was two mistakes in previous post I have corrected and attached again the myBasket.json
- remove button tooltip corrected
- remove button now works

Best wishes
Mohammad
myBasket-rev2.json

James

May 4, 2021, 10:31:00 PM5/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the great plugin.
One quick question, is that possible to create sub-folder under the folder?

Mohammad Rahmani

May 4, 2021, 11:30:00 PM5/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 7:01 AM James <jimmy....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the great plugin.
One quick question, is that possible to create sub-folder under the folder?

If you mean to have a outline tree like
-Folder
-- subF01
-- subF02

no, it is not possible! Favorites handle one two levels only: item in root and item in folder

-- root
-- item
-- Folder
-- -- Item
-- -- Item

David Gifford

May 8, 2021, 4:48:34 PM5/8/21
to TiddlyWiki
What would it take so that dragging a tiddler to the Basket tiddler would display the text field of the tiddler in the Basket? Different way of getting at having a second column.

Mohammad Rahmani

May 9, 2021, 1:22:00 AM5/9/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
David,
 In another thread there is discussion on drag and drop features! I bring one example here!

The attached tiddler shows a drop zone and if you drag a tiddler to on the drop zone
it will grab the title of dragged tiddler and shows its text! Also all of its field
tag with $:/tags/Sidebar and test on tiddlywiki.com

You add this to the Basket if you like!

Best wishes
Mohammad

droppable_exmp05.json

David Gifford

May 9, 2021, 3:19:03 PM5/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mohammad, I am going to look at this right now! Blessings

David Gifford

May 9, 2021, 3:39:27 PM5/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mohammad, works great! I even figured out how to turn the text field into a large edit-text area, and I moved the clear box button next to the tiddler title link, to clear up some vertical space. See attached image.

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 12:22:00 AM UTC-5 Mohammad wrote:
basket.case.jpg

TW Tones

May 9, 2021, 10:05:40 PM5/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Gentlemen,

Simply leveraging the idea of the basket, I am exploring a set of related methods to extend its functionality.

Behind this is a desire to make lists of tiddlers a first class citizen in tiddlywiki.

My time is limited but I hope to see or design myself if no one else does.
  • Have a single click to make more baskets (or managed lists)
  • drag/Save basket to JSON tiddler
  • drag/Save  basket to JSON tiddler and change to a plugin
  • Allow a filter to be used to add tiddlers to any basket.
  • Handling the list of titles in a basket, rather than the tiddler content.
    • I would like a button on tiddlers containing a list, to be draggable to the basket
    • I would like to be able to drag the list of tiddlers in the basket to the above list icon to update its list field,
      • drop to add basket titles to existing list field
      • ctrl-drop replace existing list field with basket titles
    • I would love to be able to generate a tiddler with a list of titles and start referring it to a list tiddler. we can add and remove titles from, reorder and drag and drop as above.
      • The basket idea can support this nicely.
If someone like the wonderful Mohammad can run with these ideas, or I can collaborate to see them to fruition it would be great, but a lot to ask, alternatively I will build them in time.

later I would like
  • Save the current story as a list
  • Restore any list and open tiddlers in the story.
  • Save the history list to a basket/list
  • Have seperate named stories/history lists that can be "activated"
  • Have any generated filter driven lists that can be manipulated like a basket, eg recent, haschanged, story, my username/created/modified.
The worlds is our oster, Our oster is tiddlywiki.

Regards
Tones

TW Tones

May 10, 2021, 1:42:55 AM5/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Further feature extensions;
  • The ability to build cumulative json tiddlers or plugins.
  • A Cumulative plugin would allow you to drop titles on a basket, click to create a plugin. then add additional tiddlers and update it, and update the plugin with all edited tiddlers.
    • This would allow the building of transferable data tiddlers
    • Quick updates to a plugin
    • Incorporate changes to a plugin according to the edited shadow tiddlers.
      • Perhaps one could even play with core updates this way
This has certainly sparks my creative inspiration, I could have code the basket, but never did, now it exists - wow.

Tones

Mohammad Rahmani

May 10, 2021, 4:37:27 AM5/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 12:09 AM David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> wrote:
Thanks Mohammad, works great! I even figured out how to turn the text field into a large edit-text area, and I moved the clear box button next to the tiddler title link, to clear up some vertical space. See attached image.

Great! I looked at the screenshot you attached! Very nice! I even thought of a reverse arrangement!
Having tiddler in the sidebar and editing in the main river!

Any way seems a lot of possibility!

Mohammad Rahmani

May 10, 2021, 4:50:12 AM5/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tones,

 Some of these are already implemented in the attached basket solution above!
 The basket by Morosanuae is also very appealing! Loot at its nice design and try its different features!

You should consider Basket as a shopping basket ;-) with one difference you can select tiddlers you like and export to your another wiki by JSON file or drag and drop, and then you can leave without paying a cent! ;-) :)

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

May 10, 2021, 6:38:36 AM5/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:12 AM TW Tones <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Further feature extensions;
  • The ability to build cumulative json tiddlers or plugins.
  • A Cumulative plugin would allow you to drop titles on a basket, click to create a plugin. then add additional tiddlers and update it, and update the plugin with all edited tiddlers.
    • This would allow the building of transferable data tiddlers
    • Quick updates to a plugin
    • Incorporate changes to a plugin according to the edited shadow tiddlers.
      • Perhaps one could even play with core updates this way
This has certainly sparks my creative inspiration, I could have code the basket, but never did, now it exists - wow.

I have developed an easy plugin maker! which is quite similar to what you said there is two issues to be addressed

1. Right now it seems TW does not support subcategory to distribute contents as plugin and we had discussion with Jeremy if the title plugin is suitable for such distribution (see the ebook edition of Tiddlywiki). There were suggestions by Mario and Jeremy to use subcategories to distribute other contents (like presentations, brochures, booklets, articles, novels,  ... )
2. A standard plugin in my opinion shall meet some minimum requirements

ّ

David Gifford

May 10, 2021, 10:29:23 AM5/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad - FYI, I did the sidebar in edit-text so that I could also edit a tiddler in the story river and transfer content including formatting from one to the other.

Mohammad Rahmani

May 10, 2021, 10:36:06 AM5/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 6:59 PM David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> wrote:
Hi Mohammad - FYI, I did the sidebar in edit-text so that I could also edit a tiddler in the story river and transfer content including formatting from one to the other.

Dave,

Lovely! This makes to be more productive!

PMario

May 10, 2021, 4:58:43 PM5/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

Reading this reminds me about may "open-story" plugin. Not 100% the same, but imo it's close.
The disadvantage atm is that the UI isn't understood very well.

-mario

TW Tones

May 10, 2021, 7:44:09 PM5/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

Yes, I remember the open story though not the details, I need to look it up again. I recall this because I had ideas to make lists and stories easier to implement, less as a UI feature and more as a functionality issue. I think while I now see all Aspects of the technical feasibility and functionality consideration still needs to be given to how these fundamental lists and their interplay with other lists will be represented in the User Interface. The basket metaphor is one good example of part of the solution. The other may be a toolbar icon from which to drag a list contained in a tiddler, or on which to drop a list, tiddler title (or groups of titles) to add to that list.

Tones

TW Tones

May 10, 2021, 7:48:50 PM5/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

I would like to know more about this subcategory issue for plugins.

However id this in the direction of which you speak?,  my own solution is to give a plugin a new plugin-type field value, such as data (not plugin). Then Its simple to duplicate one of the existing plugin tabs to list only plugins of the plugin-type data, and otherwise they behave the same as standard plugins including shadows etc...

I have discovered what all the technical methods are to achieve the outcome I need, its time that is my challenge.

Regards
Tones

Mohammad Rahmani

May 10, 2021, 11:49:36 PM5/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 4:18 AM TW Tones <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mohammad,

Hi Tony,

I would like to know more about this subcategory issue for plugins.

However id this in the direction of which you speak?,  my own solution is to give a plugin a new plugin-type field value, such as data (not plugin). Then Its simple to duplicate one of the existing plugin tabs to list only plugins of the plugin-type data, and otherwise they behave the same as standard plugins including shadows etc...

TW Tones

May 22, 2021, 9:27:45 PM5/22/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

I am using your first basket you published a lot. I am finding it a most useful tool.

However I stumbled across a bug, which may point to a serendipitous discovery.

Whilst exporting a basket from TiddlyWiki.com of tiddlers I wrote, somewhere I made a mistake. In latest Chrome
  • Clicking the Wiki save button is now claiming to be saving "the wiki"?
  • Clicking on the Export JSON says wiki saved but not redownloading it.
I am trying to save the whole wiki, basket  to capture the bug, or export changes, yet every attempt to save or export reports tiddlywiki saved, does not appear in the downloads.

I am not sure what to do now.

Tones

Mohammad Rahmani

May 22, 2021, 11:30:07 PM5/22/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tones

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 5:57 AM TW Tones <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mohammad,

I am using your first basket you published a lot. I am finding it a most useful tool.

However I stumbled across a bug, which may point to a serendipitous discovery.

Whilst exporting a basket from TiddlyWiki.com of tiddlers I wrote, somewhere I made a mistake. In latest Chrome
  • Clicking the Wiki save button is now claiming to be saving "the wiki"?
  • Clicking on the Export JSON says wiki saved but not redownloading it.
I am trying to save the whole wiki, basket  to capture the bug, or export changes, yet every attempt to save or export reports tiddlywiki saved, does not appear in the downloads.

I am afraid I will not follow you!
The export button should not interfere with save wiki!

I would be happy to help, if you attach the basket you use!

TW Tones

May 23, 2021, 8:51:46 AM5/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

never mind, I think I was tripping over myself. Thanks for the inspiration as usual.

By the way I noticed I can add titles to a basket and drag and drop it on another wiki. The contents remains in the basket. I can imagine a basket with appropriate configuration tiddlers lets say the tags and tiddlers involved in using the view templates that you can drop on any wiki, for quick likes to the required tiddlers.

So if you develop the basket further consider being able to create baskets on demand and drag and drop them on other wikis.

Regards
Tones