Planning a TiddlyWiki Meetup in 2016

Jeremy Ruston

May 4, 2016, 2:44:54 AM5/4/16
to TiddlyWiki
At Mario’s suggestion, I’d like to explore holding a TiddlyWiki Meetup in Oxford, UK this summer.

We have two proposed dates:

* Friday 15th and/or Saturday 16th July
* Friday 22nd and/or Saturday 23rd July

I’m pretty sure I can beg some space in Oxford for us to meet. There’s a fairly good supply of cheap-ish accommodation in Oxford (as long as one books early enough), or it’s close enough to London to be able to stay there.

If you think you might be interested in coming along, please let me know which dates would work best for you.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Alex Hough

May 4, 2016, 3:44:59 AM5/4/16
to TiddlyWiki
the 15th 16th works best for me

Alex

Jeremy

PMario

May 5, 2016, 1:00:23 AM5/5/16
to TiddlyWiki, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 8:44:54 AM UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
* Friday 15th and/or Saturday 16th July

That would be a good date for me too.

-mario

Jed Carty

May 5, 2016, 7:59:45 AM5/5/16
to TiddlyWiki
I should be able to make it either day.

Sylvain Naudin

May 6, 2016, 3:58:19 AM5/6/16
to TiddlyWiki, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

It's impossible for me on 22nd & 23rd, and at the moment maybe for 15th & 16th July.
I'll start a new job monday, so I don't know if I could take one or two holidays.

But if I can, I would be happy to be with all of you !

Cheers,
Sylvain

Jeremy Ruston

May 6, 2016, 4:59:49 AM5/6/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
So it looks like the 15th/16th July is the popular choice.

Thinking about a rough schedule of things we might do:

* Friday 15th
** All day hackathon focussed on committing code and collaborating with the people who can’t make it to Oxford. For example, with Mario I have a backlog of work to get tiddlywiki.com automatically updating when editors commit changes to tw5.com (or the translations). Perhaps live broadcast with https://www.livecoding.tv/
** Evening group meal
* Saturday 16th
** All day unconference style presentations/talks/discussions, with a live broadcast as a Google Hangout. We’d do a bit of planning in advance but also leave some of it to the day

There’s also lots of things to do as a group in the summer in Oxford that might be fun, particularly punting or rowing.

What do you think? What sort of events or activities would make it worth while for you to travel?

I’ll start to investigate potential venues…

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Danielo Rodríguez

May 19, 2016, 2:50:45 PM5/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hey, a tiddlywiky meetup! I would love to go! Currently I'm on a unstable situation at work, but as soon as I get an stable position I will ask for those days.

Regards

Danielo Rodríguez

May 28, 2016, 6:42:09 AM5/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hey guys,

I would like to know what is happening about this. Whas it seroius? Is still planned? Same dates?

Jeremy Ruston

May 28, 2016, 9:51:34 AM5/28/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danielo

Yes, this is still planned. We need to finalise the arrangements over the next week or so, when I'm back from vacation,

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston

On 28 May 2016, at 04:42, Danielo Rodríguez <rdan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey guys,

I would like to know what is happening about this. Whas it seroius? Is still planned? Same dates?

Danielo Rodríguez

May 28, 2016, 4:13:19 PM5/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for the answer Jeremy.

What should I do meanwhile? Book the flights? Arrange an hotel room?

Jeremy Ruston

May 31, 2016, 8:24:15 AM5/31/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the interest. We'll go ahead with a 2 day event here in Oxford on Friday 15th and Saturday 16th July.

I hope to confirm a venue very shortly but in the meantime, I think it's now worth booking travel and accommodation. (Even if the venue I'm currently arranging doesn't work out there are a lot of options, and we'll definitely be able to go ahead somewhere).

All the venues are in central Oxford, so anywhere you can find to stay within reach of the city centre will be suitable. There are plenty of hotels and hostels in Oxford, but not all of them are necessarily affordable. There's always AirBnB.

In terms of timings, I was thinking that we might kick-off at midday on the Friday, and finish at about 5pm on the Saturday. That gives people the choice of just staying in Oxford for one night, or extending their stay to cover the Thursday and Saturday nights. We can start earlier on the Friday if there are enough people around.

Let me know how you get on,

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Danielo Rodríguez <rdan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the answer Jeremy.

What should I do meanwhile? Book the flights? Arrange an hotel room?

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 9, 2016, 11:55:09 AM6/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Everyone

I hope to confirm a venue very shortly but in the meantime, I think it's now worth booking travel and accommodation. (Even if the venue I'm currently arranging doesn't work out there are a lot of options, and we'll definitely be able to go ahead somewhere).

I’ve now confirmed the venue. We’ve got a room in the basement of The Oxford Innovation Centre:

I’ll set up an eventbrite entry for the event shortly.

Best wishes

Jeremy.