TiddlyWiki 5 European Portuguese pt_PT Translation

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Feb 6, 2015, 5:45:00 PM2/6/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone
I've been slowly working in secret on the European Portuguese (Portuguese from Portugal pt_PT) translation of TiddlyWiki 5 for the past few weeks, which I now release attached to this message to hopefully become part of the official TiddlyWiki release some day.
This is largely interchangeable with the Brazilian Portuguese (probably as similar as British English and America English) but I would distinguish the two just in case anyone in the future wishes to make a specific Brazilian version.

Anyway, I started as instructed in http://tiddlywiki.com/#Translate%20TiddlyWiki%20into%20your%20language , this i still for version 5.1.5, the one available when I first started. I am not sure how to upgrade, (by the official regular method seems to break the wiki) so let me know if any action is required from my part.
TiddlyWiki_5.1.5_pt_PT_V007.html

Atul Grover

Feb 7, 2015, 4:50:38 AM2/7/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Not that I understand European Portuguese, but can I learn basics of (say) Portuguese using TW translation itself?
I mean one can add learning content via tiddlers... but what it I could use a translated TW as a tool in itself to start learning?
Basics like numbers, dates, days, months, salutations, if could be made a part of TW core (on one pretext or another) then
even an empty TW could become a learning tool. I hope I am able to come out clearly.

I 'll try and work on my theory
... but....Great Job Duarte.... Lets keep up the good work.... Congrats on your poster too....
Regards

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 7, 2015, 5:34:04 AM2/7/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

That's great, thank you. I've processed the translation and posted a new pre-release for you to check:

There's also an updated translators edition that you can use to make any tweaks:

Many thanks,

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Feb 7, 2015, 6:54:33 PM2/7/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Jeremy the updated pre-release was very useful to actually see the strings in place and hunt down any errors.
With it I could spot a few mistakes and incoherences in my translation, here is an updated version with the corresponding fixes based on the new 5.1.8 pre-release.

I noticed that the drag and drop message (when dropping a file to import) is showing up in English even though it is translated in the strings. Is it because the string was updated, did I miss something, or is that the expected behavior?

Thanks
TiddlyWiki_5.1.8_pt_PT_V009.html

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Feb 7, 2015, 7:05:19 PM2/7/15
Hi Atul
The translation it'self is very limited in the scope of the language, although you can grasp a few basic words and concepts from the translated strings like the week days, Months names, and other common words.
The rest of the text may not be as reliable as a learning source since some concepts have to be slighly reworked to fit into the particular limitations or ways of each locale.

Using tiddywiki as a language learning tool however seems like a great concept. Maybe have something like a collection of interlinking tiddlywiki files in such way that each article with the same title on each separate wiki would hold a translated version of the same base content on each language? I am sure the experts here could come up with something smarter and original for that :)

And thanks, glad you like the poster, I hope it is useful to spread the word

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 8, 2015, 12:56:47 PM2/8/15
to Duarte Farrajota Ramos, TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte
I noticed that the drag and drop message (when dropping a file to import) is showing up in English even though it is translated in the strings. Is it because the string was updated, did I miss something, or is that the expected behavior?

You'll find that the drop message will be updated when you restart the TiddlyWiki; there's a minor issue that changing the language setting doesn't refresh the stylesheet.

I've fixed it for 5.1.8 here:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Feb 8, 2015, 2:31:28 PM2/8/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the fix Jeremy , looking forward to the new 5.1.8

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Jul 24, 2016, 9:33:24 PM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Jeremy

It's been a while since I last updated the translations, there have been lots of features and changes to TiddlyWiki in the meantime. Lots of new awesome features and tools added so this was in dire need of an update.

Here is a revised Portuguese translation with added missing strings for new features and tools and updated some older ones.

Let me know if something is missing or can be improved, maybe this can be included for the next release, thanks
Duarte
TiddlyWiki_5.1.12_pt_PT_V02.html

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 25, 2016, 4:33:04 AM7/25/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duarte

Thanks, that’s great, I’ve merged your updates here:

The updates will be included in 5.1.13 which I shall be releasing shortly.

Best wishes

Jeremy

<TiddlyWiki_5.1.12_pt_PT_V02.html>

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Jul 25, 2016, 3:41:37 PM7/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Nice one, thanks Jeremy

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Oct 23, 2016, 7:10:46 PM10/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hey everyone, hello again.

I've recently had the opportunity to actually work with a tiddlywiki with Portuguese set as default language for the UI, so it's giving a good opportunity to quality check the translation
Here's an updated version with some minor fixes and improvements. Also includes the fix for the issue reported in github about date format, in case it causes merge troubles.

Hope it still goes in time for the next 5.1.14 release.
All the Best

TiddlyWiki_5.1.14_pt_PT_V01.html

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Dec 19, 2019, 10:39:47 AM12/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
After a long hiatus here a long overdue updated translation.
Fixed a few typos, improved a bunch of strings and added missing ones.
TiddlyWiki_5.1.21.html

TonyM

Dec 20, 2019, 7:07:38 PM12/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Duarte,

Thanks so much for your contribution, I am not a Portuguese speaker but value the internationalisation of such.

I hope in time there will be some easy documentation for designers to internationalise their own designs. Then they can call for translations for a small set of messages and instructions.

Regards
Tony