[TW5] New Plugin: Simple Search

Thomas Elmiger

Nov 4, 2018, 10:06:39 AM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi folks,

The new Simple Search plugin provides a nice and simple user interface for searching your wikis using the TW standard search. It is designed for mobile and desktop screens.

The plugin hides the search input field in the sidebar and displays a new button in the page toolbar instead.

At the click/tap of the button, a layer appears and the focus is set to the search field. Clicking/tapping a search result or anywhere outside the search box makes the layer disappear.

simple-search-mobile.png

You can try it here:
And of course also on https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html from where you can install the plugin via drag and drop.

The readme tab of the plugin contains options/settings for
  • animation duration – make sure to use a significantly lower value (e.g. 150) than the original TW setting (400)
  • border colour – make the search box stand out in any design, light or dark
  • where to show the button – page toolbar in the sidebar or top right bar (you might want to modify other design aspects if you use the latter)
  • edit mode – if you want to change the search tiddler, you can activate the edit icon
Last but not least there is a new way to measure the popularity of my plugins: Inspired by others who did the same, for the first time I published the coordinates for financially rewarding my laborious works :)
Of course the plugin is free and open source as always (MIT license included). No need to pay for anything! But if you absolutely want, you can.

As valuable as payments: Promotion (tell your friends) and feedback in any form! Here in the forum or via direct message (click answer here, choose private option/tell your friends via twitter or e-mail). Thank you!

Now, please make a backup, install, reload and have fun searching.

Cheers,
Thomas

Riz

Nov 4, 2018, 10:53:10 AM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Telmiger,
Cool work. I am of the strong opinion that you and JD should form a team and create some prospective redesigns of the main tiddlywiki site.

sincerely
Riz

Mohammad

Nov 4, 2018, 11:41:29 AM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Thomas
I like your work! Nice and clean interface!

One question: Is it possible to add some advanced search like [tag[myTag]] and leave more sophisticated one to AdvancedSearch tiddler!

Cheers
Mohammad

Thomas Elmiger

Nov 4, 2018, 11:58:56 AM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Mohammad,

Thanks for your feedback!

Answer: You can enter [tag[yourTag]] in the search field, hit the tab-key + enter or space-bar and you are in the AdvancedSearch :)
This is exactly what TW standard search would do, with the difference that in Simple Search you can see how the AdvancedSearch button is activated via tab-key.

Easy enough?

Cheers,
Thomas

Mohammad

Nov 4, 2018, 12:48:55 PM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, that is easy!

Thanks

David Gifford

Nov 4, 2018, 5:29:14 PM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Is now in the toolmap, under Searching tools. Nice work! https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM

Thomas Elmiger

Nov 4, 2018, 5:38:29 PM11/4/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, David,

Could you please point the first link to the official plugin download page https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html

The demo/dev page you link to at the moment is using loose tiddlers, not the plugin.

Thanks for your great collection!
-t

Am So., 4. Nov. 2018, 23:29 hat David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org> geschrieben:

David Gifford

Nov 4, 2018, 9:55:35 PM11/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Done. It is now

SimpleSearch - hides the search window and displays a search icon instead. Demo: https://tid.li/tw5/test/search-5-1-18pre.html. Another demo with buttons off to the side: https://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html

Dave

JD

Nov 5, 2018, 6:55:01 AM11/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing! This is a much needed functionality. Looks nice as well :D

-jd

@TiddlyTweeter

Nov 5, 2018, 7:30:12 AM11/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
Telmiger and you are the nicest looking people here :-)

J.

Lin Onetwo

Jun 3, 2020, 1:01:06 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Elmiger,

I really like this search bar, thank you for making this and share with us!

I'm using NodeJS setup and want to place your plugin into the plugin folder, so I want to download the folder version of plugin
could I know where the gitlab or github repo for this plugin is?

Thomas Elmiger

Jun 3, 2020, 5:23:04 PM6/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have never used TW on Node.js, but a nice person named Mirko made a repo for my plugins.

Please note that updates might take some time, I just pinged Mirko today about the new versions.

All the best,
Thomas

Reet Pandher

Jun 5, 2020, 9:10:43 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Thomas,

A request: please enable closing of the simple search box by hitting the escape key.
Currently there seems to be no way to close the search box without the mouse.

Thanks

Thomas Elmiger

Jun 5, 2020, 9:59:02 AM6/5/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reet,
I copied Apple Spotlight search: You can use the same shortcut to open and to close the search layer.

Currently there seems to be no way to close the search box without the mouse.

Hope that works for you.

Thomas

Reet Pandher

Jun 5, 2020, 10:25:04 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks!! this works!

Zhe Lee

Aug 26, 2020, 8:53:18 PM8/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, how to show the search result in reverse chronological order? I want the most recently changed tiddler at first. Havent found related settings.

Zhe Lee

Aug 26, 2020, 9:46:36 PM8/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
How to dismiss the search bar by keyboard shortcut ? For now, I need to click a blank area to dismiss it. I want to use keyboard shortcuts to do it

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 27, 2020, 12:49:25 AM8/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi imleg...

I copied Apple Spotlight search: You can use the same shortcut to open and to close the search layer.

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 29, 2020, 6:38:41 AM8/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again, I had to search for that myself ... this should do the trick:

In $:/plugins/telmiger/simple-search/SearchResultsOther replace

sort[title] => !sort[modified]

In $:/plugins/telmiger/simple-search/SearchResultsTop replace

sort[caption] => !sort[modified]

The exclamation mark reverses the chronological order.

Have a nice weekend everyone :)
Thomas

Zhe Lee

Aug 30, 2020, 10:12:28 PM8/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you~

Zhe Lee

Aug 31, 2020, 11:16:03 PM8/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi now I need press the tab 3 time for select the first search result.

Any way to select the first item by just click down for once?

Zhe Lee

Sep 17, 2020, 3:42:42 AM9/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi is there a way to make the `down` to select the first item, instead of 3 times tab?

Thomas Elmiger

Sep 17, 2020, 7:06:21 AM9/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi is there a way to make the `down` to select the first item, instead of 3 times tab?

Hi. Not one that I would know of or be able to implement. I just use "natural" browser tabbing. This selects the elements in order of appearance. As I use Advanced search results often I find it very handy to jump to the search button first.

All the best,
Thomas

Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 1:35:35 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thomas,

have installed your plugin into my wiki. Search shows found items provided I search for an entry in the title. If I search in any of my fields, it shows how many items found but no item titles.

I have added my fields in the preferences tiddler.

bobj

Thomas Elmiger

Sep 21, 2020, 1:47:31 AM9/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

What happens if you remove your preferences? (In other words, use the standard values instead of your preferences.)

If the standards do not work for you, you might want to post your settings and what you expect to achieve here. Then someone with more filtering experience than me could be able to help.

All the best,
Thomas

Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 2:26:07 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thomas,

if I reset preferences to -caption, title it now seems to work. If I add my fields, -caption, title, artwork_id, artwork_medium, artwork_numberinedition, artwork_price, artwork_size, artwork_status, artwork_title, artwork_type, artwork_yearofcreation, consignment_id, exhibition_id, name_id, purchase_date, then it shows the number of matches but no title info.

So, it works for default settings so I do not know if I need to add my fields now.

bobj