Feedback desired for HAL macro

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 9:09:21 AM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki

Hi everyone

Just got Pfizer shot #2 yesterday, and no reactions yet. I was poking at the fixes I need to do on the Subsume plugin, and got distracted enough to came up with this idea, somewhat similar:

I would appreciate feedback:

1. Is there a more concise / proper way to do the macro?
2. Do you think the link and edit icons are too annoying? Any suggestions?  (I am on the fence about how they look and whether the 'view' link is necessary. If it were just for me, I would only have the edit link. But if I share online content this way, some might want to open a tiddler to view it, share a link it, print it, etc, and the edit stuff would confuse them).
3. Is there a way to set the list filter $view so that it displays: caption field if there is one, and title field if there is no caption?
4. Opinions: do you like it better with or without blurb field?

Eric Shulman

Aug 12, 2021, 9:20:31 AM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

- HAL9000

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 9:47:17 AM8/12/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I had a feeling someone might reference  2001. I just didn't realize how appropriate the line in 2001 was. Good one Eric! :-)

PMario

Aug 12, 2021, 2:45:25 PM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

You do have a very fine sense, what can be useful for other users. I like it!

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 3:09:21 PM UTC+2 David Gifford wrote:

Just got Pfizer shot #2 yesterday, and no reactions yet.

:)

I was poking at the fixes I need to do on the Subsume plugin, and got distracted enough to came up with this idea, somewhat similar:

I would appreciate feedback:

1. Is there a more concise / proper way to do the macro?

I did change quite a bit and hope you like it too.

2. Do you think the link and edit icons are too annoying?

Yea .. a bit. Especially since you mention printing. So you probably don't want them to be shown on paper.

Any suggestions?  (I am on the fence about how they look and whether the 'view' link is necessary. If it were just for me, I would only have the edit link. But if I share online content this way, some might want to open a tiddler to view it, share a link it, print it, etc, and the edit stuff would confuse them).

I can't  believe, that I will write this: You could make an "invisible" edit link, that will only show on hover. So only users, who know, where the link is will see it.

For the "link" you could change the hal-caption() macro, that I did add to the code in a way that it will use a link to the title instead of the pure text.

This behaviour could be changed with a global setting. eg: $:/.giffmex/hal/config/show-caption-link and a reveal-widget. The value defaults to "no". If it is set to "yes" then it shows the alternative view. ... It would also be possible to switch between 2 macro names instead of "yes" and "no" ...

I think you can borrow some code from my

3. Is there a way to set the list filter $view so that it displays: caption field if there is one, and title field if there is no caption?

Yes. See the new hal-caption() macro in the code

4. Opinions: do you like it better with or without blurb field?

I do like this field, but imo this will depend on the users taste.

-----------------------

I would suggest the following things.
  • Make the macro code readable, to be able to change stuff
    • \whitespace trim  ... will remove the extra whitespace, so no artefacts are part of the HTML code
  • Show caption if available ... Using the same mechanism as the core /toc -macro
  • Made the macro code visible in view mode (Kudos go to Eric Shulman;)
  • Added the hal-blurb() macro, so it can be switched on / off in the future. A macro makes future development easier
  • I did replace the SPAN elements with DIV elements. SPANs are inline and DIV are block elements. So now "display: block" in CSS needed!
  • I did replace the B elements with STRONG because of some info at MDN See 2nd paragraph there.
  • I did remove all the   elements (except of 1), because they should not be used for styling - CSS is used for styling
    • There is 1   element left, because it is needed if the "title" + "blurb" is selected and copy / pasted. There needs to be a space in between the title and the blurb
    • I did replace the spaces with tc-small-gap-left which is part of the vanilla CSS since 5.1.23.
  • I did make the Stylesheet readable
  • I did clean the Stylesheet a bit and add new elements needed
    • There is a hover "animation" for the buttons now
    • The mouse cursor changes shape, to give user-feedback, when they are able to click something

Hope you like it.
Code is in the attachment

IMO that's not all things, that may be done. Especially the link- and edit-buttons could be improved with settings.

"Well, I don’t think there is any question about it.
It can only be attributable to human error.
This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error."
- HAL9000

hal-suggestions.json

PMario

Aug 12, 2021, 2:49:59 PM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
HI,
The hover-animation could probably be borrowed from my links-to-tabs macor https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/link-to-tabs
It's CSS only, but it needs type: text/vnd.tiddlywiki to work properly.
-m

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 4:25:37 PM8/12/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks PMario!

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 4:26:02 PM8/12/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I will look at that some time soon.

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

TiddlyTweeter

Aug 12, 2021, 4:47:54 PM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'm sorry Dave but you may have chosen the wrong name.

I know you took precautions, but that Pfizer shot may be interfering with your preliminary findings.

This kind of thing has cropped up before, Dave, but honestly I wouldn't worry about that.

HAL, x

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 5:52:38 PM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
Wow, PMario, I had only seen the two shorter replies. I just realized now you had a much more substantial response. That looks like a lot of work. I will give it a try. Thank you very much.

I actually have been going sideways on this, to get it the way I would use it. It is quite different than HAL. I will share when I get it stable, and I will compare it with the macro you attached. Blessings!

David Gifford

Aug 12, 2021, 5:53:04 PM8/12/21
to TiddlyWiki
Too good, Tweeter!