Trying to use Tiddlywiki on Firefox, unsuccessful yet.

Renaud B.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:55:38 PM3/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

So far, I haven't been able to save my Tiddlywiki file correctly on Firefox. I have tried with the these two addons:

File-backup :

I followed the installation instructions. I put a TW file in a directory inside the Firefox Download directory (/home/renaud/Téléchargements/Tiddlywikis/, this is the Firefox default download folder in french), I open it, I click Save, and it asks me where I want to save the file. If I choose the tiddlywiki file currently in use, it opens it in a second tab, and it gives me a warning that the file is opened twice... I have tried to check and uncheck the Firefox option where it asks or not where to save the file, it doesn't change anything. So the problem is that whatever I try (like restarting Firefox), it keeps asking me where to save the file instead of simply overwriting the existing one.

Timimi :

This one gives me a different problem. I installed the addon and the local files, restarted the browser, and then did some tests. It seems to work, it says that the changes have been saved, but if I reload the file, they haven't.

So, what would you suggest that I try in order to be able to use it?

I haven't try the savetiddlers addon, because from what I understand I need to keep the Ask where to save file option unchecked, which is annoying for me because in my general use of Firefox, I like to have it checked. I would prefer an alternative.

Thanks for your support

TonyM

Mar 23, 2020, 5:51:54 PM3/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Renaud,

Timimi works for me and I am using it now.
  • Using Timimi you can store your tiddlywiki.html file anywhere and if firefox is the default browser double click will open it and you can save it where it is.
  • If you are opening it at a URL rather than File location you may be confusing the original with the local wiki.
  • The advantage with Timimi is you chose where to save files because they can be reopened from there, and you do not need to allow autosave within downloads.

Please give a little more detail
  • FireFox version (latest fine)
  • Operating System
  • TW5 or TWC
  • Anything else?
Since I installed Timimi and used it for months (if not years the installation is unfamiliar to me).

For me
  • FireFox laters public release version
  • Operating System Windows 10
  • TW5 or TWC Mosly TW5 use TiddlyDesktop for TWC
Regards
Tony

Renaud B.

Mar 23, 2020, 8:33:06 PM3/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. If Timimi allows us to use a Tiddlywiki file from anywhere on the filesystem, and not just the Firefox Download folder, that's really great. I just tryed to reinstall it, it does the same thing. I install the addon file, and then download the zip file, extract it, executes it, it says:

> Hello There
> Starting Timimi Installation
> Created host directory: /home/renaud/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts
> Created host manifest: /home/renaud/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/timimi.json
> Created host executable: /home/renaud/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/timimi

> Installation finished without errors.
> Have a great day!!

So I guess it should be good. But no, even if it says "Saved wiki", changes aren't saved. To answer you question, I use Firefox v74.0, I'm on Arch Linux, I use the latest TW5.

I just don't know how I should debug that mistake. I opened on the Firefox Console, I noticed that when I save the Wiki, it says:

> <empty string> saver-handler: Saving wiki with method save through saver tiddlyfox <empty string> $:/core/modules/utils/logger.js:33:25
> Message ID is tiddlywiki-save-file-response-3

I don't know if that gives us any clue.

Thanks again for your help!

TonyM

Mar 23, 2020, 9:26:41 PM3/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Questions
  • Which `<<version>>` of tiddlywiki are you using
  • Do you still have the tiddlyfox installed anywhere?
    • See message contains ''saver tiddlyfox''
  • Try this on a fresh empty.html minimal case
  • Check your plugins and temporarily disable them
  • Check your browser additions
Sorry I do not have a linux box to test this on, hopefully someone else will help

Regards
Tony

Birthe C

Mar 24, 2020, 12:16:37 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Renaud B,

Did you not delete Tiddlyfox? You should not have more savers installed at the same time.

Birthe

PMario

Mar 24, 2020, 5:23:19 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Renaud,

I think the directory name: /home/renaud/Téléchargements/Tiddlywikis/   could be a problem. ...

Can you test it with: /home/renaud/Telechargements/Tiddlywikis/ without the é

just a guess.

-mario

PMario

Mar 24, 2020, 5:44:46 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 10:23:19 AM UTC+1, PMario wrote:
Hi Renaud,
I think the directory name: /home/renaud/Téléchargements/Tiddlywikis/   could be a problem. ...

I did test it with ubuntu 18.04 and FF latest. ... I can confirm, that there is a problem with the path name.

It works for me with: /home/renaud/Telechargements/Tiddlywikis/ as a workaround.

I'll have a closer look and will post more info soon.

-mario

PMario

Mar 24, 2020, 6:57:25 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 1:33:06 AM UTC+1, Renaud B. wrote:
Thanks for your reply. If Timimi allows us to use a Tiddlywiki file from anywhere on the filesystem, and not just the Firefox Download folder, that's really great. I just tryed to reinstall it, it does the same thing. I install the addon file, and then download the zip file, extract it, executes it, it says:

I did some tests and it seems it is a problem with the existing TiddlyWiki saver, which is active prior to any saver AddOn. So probably every addOn saver that uses the TiddlyFox saving mechanism has the same problems here.

I need to have a fast look at  Timimi's and "savetiddlers" source code, to know if the both have the same problem.

have fun!
mariio

PMario

Mar 24, 2020, 7:23:52 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 5:16:37 AM UTC+1, Birthe C wrote:
Renaud B,

Did you not delete Tiddlyfox? You should not have more savers installed at the same time.

file-backups and Timimi use the TiddlyFox saver, that is built into the TW core. That makes it possible that really old TWs still can be saved, without the need to modify the TW file.

-mario

Birthe C

Mar 24, 2020, 7:50:31 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
PMario,

Thank you for correcting this.

Birthe

Renaud B.

Mar 24, 2020, 8:10:27 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
You found the problem PMario, it seems there is a bug with saving TW in a folder named with "special caracters", in my case if I rename the folder /home/renaud/Telechargements/ instead of /home/renaud/Téléchargements/ (which the default Downloads folder on this system), or if a put the TW file in any folder named with basic characters, Timini saves the TW correctly. I haven't tried with file-backup. I guess this bug should be addressed for people like me who has set their OS locale to something else than english.

Thanks for your help!

Le mardi 24 mars 2020 07:50:31 UTC-4, Birthe C a écrit :
PMario,

Thank you for correcting this.
@

PMario

Mar 24, 2020, 9:52:35 AM3/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 1:10:27 PM UTC+1, Renaud B. wrote:
You found the problem PMario, it seems there is a bug with saving TW in a folder named with "special caracters", in my case if I rename the folder /home/renaud/Telechargements/ instead of /home/renaud/Téléchargements/ (which the default Downloads folder on this system), or if a put the TW file in any folder named with basic characters, Timini saves the TW correctly. I haven't tried with file-backup. I guess this bug should be addressed for people like me who has set their OS locale to something else than english.

There is a fix on the way. I'll create a PR for TiddlyWiki. It should be addressed there, since it contains the starting point of the problem.

-mario

Sylvain Naudin

Mar 30, 2020, 1:32:43 PM3/30/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le mardi 24 mars 2020 13:10:27 UTC+1, Renaud B. a écrit :
You found the problem PMario, it seems there is a bug with saving TW in a folder named with "special caracters", in my case if I rename the folder /home/renaud/Telechargements/ instead of /home/renaud/Téléchargements/ (which the default Downloads folder on this system), or if a put the TW file in any folder named with basic characters, Timini saves the TW correctly. I haven't tried with file-backup. I guess this bug should be addressed for people like me who has set their OS locale to something else than english.

Thanks for your help!

Hello Renaud,
Désolé de ne pas avoir vu passer ton message, j'aurais pu t'indiquer qu'il y avait un ticket pour ça ;)
(n'hésite pas à nous voir à l'occasion : https://forum.tiddlywiki.fr)

@Mario :
I'm a bit confused by this subject in the order of Google Groups display, I commented on the ticket, because I wonder if finally you didn't find a lead by correcting tiddlyfox.js?
(because renaming the directory is not a solution in my case).

ramkikura

Mar 31, 2020, 3:20:14 AM3/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
I gave up on firefox and started using waterfox. It admits the Tiddlyfox complement for saving.
M.