TiddlyWiki Use case: Presenting collection of publication records by topics

Adrian Kee

Mar 9, 2019, 6:49:35 PM3/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear TiddlyWiki folks,

In one of my recent scientific paper, I used TiddlyWiki to present a collection of publication records in terms of topics.  See tentative link.

I like to hear from fellow TiddlyWiki users on possible ways it can be improved before I finalized the file for posterity (which can be real soon).

I also need some help in setting it up for others to find it easily through Google search.

All comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

adrian :)

Mohammad

Mar 9, 2019, 10:41:22 PM3/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Adrian,
 Great work!

Minor comments
i.
I see a lot of publication has been used and listed in different tiddlers, my question is, did you typed all of these references manually or
you have used a reference manager to do that?

As you know, BibTeX plugin is an official one can help to import the references from bibtex library and website like
ScienceDirect has the possibility to export and save searched articles into a bibtex file.

ii.
TW in essence is a collection of tiddlers and it allows reuse of any piece of information, why not using tiddlers for storing references and then
by a short script like
<$list filter="[tag[subject1]]">

<$transclude/>
<//$list>

display related references?

These just small comments.

I appreciate your work and thank you for sharing it with TW community.

--Mohammad

S. S.

Mar 10, 2019, 12:12:15 AM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Adrian,

There is a lot of information in that collection!

A small input I can give is in these two tiddlers: 4. FAQ about using this file (TiddlyWiki) , 5. Personal notes/Collections
Change the word "tick" to either: {{$:/core/images/save-button}} save wiki button /or/ {{$:/core/ui/Buttons/save-wiki}} save wiki button

If you look at https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/ you will see that at the bottom of every tiddler, there is an ability to add a comment. On that pre-release website open the Control Panel, Plugins - and read about the Comments plugin. It may be useful for those who download and use your tiddlywiki.

On a matter of structure, looking at how much detail there is, and how methodically it is laid out, I imagine you have this information in a spreadsheet/database.

I realize that the below is not going to be something you will do at this stage of your work - but it is an idea for when this exercise is done again from scratch.

Since I also keep notes of papers/publications with classifications and summaries/excerpts - I separate each one in a different tiddler. then present it using data that links them.

For example you have the paper: Miller, C.J., & Brooker, B. (2017). Mindfulness programming for parents and teachers of children with ADHD.
It is listed under two categories: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) AND Parent-children
How would one know this easily?

The below is similar to how I keep my notes.

I have a tiddler tagged author for EACH author, so I would have one for author Miller AND another for author Brooker - example:

title: Brianne A. Brooker
caption: Brooker, B.
tags: author psychology

Then I would have a tiddler for their joint publication.
title: Mindfulness programming for parents and teachers of children with ADHD
date: 2017
authors: [[Carlin J. Miller]] [[Brianne A. Brooker]]
tags:  publication
doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2017.05.015
caption: Mindfulness programming for parents and teachers of children with ADHD. //Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice//

These three tiddlers could be re-used anywhere, any time, in any context. Also the bodies (text fields) of the tiddlers can easily list anything that references them (which answers the question above as to how would one easily know a singe publication was listed in different categories).

The next would be your actual reference entry as you have put together in your project - this is what will be listed in each category.

You would need a tiddler for the entry that shows the specific part of this publication you are referring to, in this case: 28, 108-115
For this project I would choose some naming style of entries based on: Mindfulness Topic Modeling
title: MTM some naming scheme 0001
source: Mindfulness programming for parents and teachers of children with ADHD
reference: 28, 108-115
tags: ADHD Parent-children

You now have all the pieces needed to build the entry and list it in the right categories: ADHD & Parent-children
Miller, C.J., & Brooker, B. (2017). Mindfulness programming for parents and teachers of children with ADHD. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 28, 108-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2017.05.015

Cheers!

S. S.

Mar 10, 2019, 1:59:27 AM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Adrian,

For the other question you asked:

I also need some help in setting it up for others to find it easily through Google search.

You may need to use this technique: Generating Static Sites with TiddlyWiki

Get some ideas using this search , and tweak your search terms for more ideas.

Regards

Adrian Kee

Mar 10, 2019, 9:35:04 AM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for your comments, Mohammad.

yes... there was a fair bit of copying and pasting...

i. I did not use the BibTeX plugin for this, but I will keep that in mind for the future.
ii. The suggestion is a very sound one, which will . But I was also considering how others may want to copy and paste the references with ease.

Much appreciated!

Adrian Kee

Mar 10, 2019, 10:03:04 AM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear S. S.
Thanks for all the tips.
The bit on tagging AUTHORS is especially insightful.
thanks.
adrian

Watt

Mar 10, 2019, 6:28:03 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for posting this Adrian. On the TW side I agree with S.S. - breaking everything down into smaller units might be another possible refinement. For example a straight bibliographic list, in one place, of all the sources that you have finally used and classified would be interesting. It might be easier to produce from sources broken down to individual tiddler units and fields. (But maybe more complicated and time-consuming to manage, cut and paste gets the job done too.)
From a reader point of view I'd be interested to read a brief description of probabilistic topic modelling and your methodology. Thanks again, it's a very interesting resource.

TonyM

Mar 10, 2019, 8:06:07 PM3/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Adrian,

Thanks for sharing, it's content is interesting one its own. What you have done is I imaging repeatable for may subjects and research. If you could generalise it wit would be great, then publish as an edition. The first release could simply be your existing one less the content, perhaps with a few descriptive tiddlers. Often once you publish and others use an edition conversations trike up in the community and new ideas crop up for inclusion or simplification.

Viva la Community.
Regards
Tony

Adrian Kee

Mar 12, 2019, 2:34:59 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the feedback, Watt.

Adrian Kee

Mar 12, 2019, 2:36:14 AM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, Tony.

passingby

Mar 28, 2019, 2:36:51 AM3/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Adrian,

What theme have you used on your TW?

-passingby

Adrian Kee

Mar 28, 2019, 4:40:09 AM3/28/19
to TiddlyWiki

Current theme: Snow White

Alfonso Arciniega

Mar 28, 2019, 10:35:59 AM3/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Adrian,

Good stuff. As I am not a programmer, my comments are on the format of the content.

There is a lot of information in the TW. May I suggest putting navigation tools/buttons everywhere? like going back, closing/expanding/minimizing tiddlers, etc. Moreover, the Contents may separate the important parts of the wiki with the less related important and related to the site part (they are all together now); so the reader focus on the main content, what the TW wants to communicate. For example, numbers 4, 6, 7,8, and 9 may go into one number only under "About this Research".

Cheers,

Alfonso

Alfonso Arciniega

Mar 28, 2019, 10:41:38 AM3/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
One more thing: using a link as subtitle may not be the more elegant way...

passingby

Mar 28, 2019, 1:21:10 PM3/28/19
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 1:40:09 AM UTC-7, Adrian Kee wrote:

Current theme: Snow White

 Ah, I see now its the color palette that is different. You've chosen Contrast Light palette. Looks good.

Adrian Kee

Mar 29, 2019, 1:27:12 AM3/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Alfonso.