[EOL-TS] Message from TiddlySpace

PMario

Jan 12, 2016, 4:50:16 AM1/12/16
to TiddlyWiki
TiddlySpace Service will see the "End of Life" in December 2016.

No need to panic! But this is an early call for action!

see: Tiddlyspace Service Update

Since there are some users, that heavily rely on the service, we should try to fix this problem.

have fun!
mario

Tobias Beer

Jan 12, 2016, 5:08:16 AM1/12/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mario,

TiddlySpace Service will see the "End of Life" in December 2016.

Sad story there. What a waste of opportunity.

Tobias.

PMario

Jan 12, 2016, 5:20:40 AM1/12/16
to TiddlyWiki
I'd say: "What an opportunity, to build something new!"

-m

Spangenhelm

Jan 12, 2016, 7:25:12 AM1/12/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi tobias and mario, i agree with both of you on this!

I'd say: "What an opportunity, to build something new!"

I don't know what you have in mind but i'm sure that if you plan to start something i would feel very sorry to miss this opportunity to get involved ;-)
Ps: You can count on at least a 20$ donation from my part for this project!

++

Mat

Jan 12, 2016, 9:14:14 AM1/12/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for reporting @PMario

I was positively surprised to see it last for as long as it did after @cdent left.

I hope this triggers intense discussion (and action) on the implemenatation of the TWederation.

<:-)

Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)

Jan 13, 2016, 9:38:51 PM1/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Where does TiddlySpot fit into the current/future ecosystem of TiddlyDevelopment, TiddlyHosting, and TiddlySharing?

Mat

Jan 14, 2016, 8:52:03 AM1/14/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Scott

TiddlySpot is a hosting service run by long time community members and (I believe) cousings Simon and Daniel Baird of Australia.
It is absolutely free and you can use for both TW2 and TW5, and even a few premade applications for TW2. It has worked flawlessly over the years, as far as I know, and I've probably set up more than a 100 tiddlyspots over the years. It uses another technology than TiddlySpace. TiddlySpot is made for standard TW's.

IMO it is the easiest way to get an online TW and it's really easy to publish a plugin or merely set up a demo - perhaps even just for a question. You can also make pull-requests, i.e contributions to both the actual TW5 core or to tiddlywiki.com documentation there, by simply alerting Jeremy about it.

Setting up a TW5 requires a few extra steps because the tiddlyspot front only offers TW2 variants. TW5 performs flawlessly there also though and it's not difficult to set up a TW5 - I've detailed it here on TWaddle, my main "publish-to-the-community" TiddlySpot.

<:-)

Jon

Jan 16, 2016, 11:58:37 AM1/16/16
to TiddlyWiki

No need to panic! But this is an early call for action!

Definitely some panic here. I love TiddlyWiki because it's so easy to make it do exactly what you want it to with a modest knowledge of Javascript. But as soon as it goes beyond your personal use, there's trouble: saving, separating public and private, dealing with multiple users, etc. I made a fairly big commitment to TiddlySpace and modified four highly customized TWs to run there - two that support my research group and two that support two of my key courses. I don't see how I could make these things work on some other platform without a HUGE amount of coding to replicate what TW already does - or even what that platform might be.

--Jon

Handoko Suwono

Jan 17, 2016, 12:32:02 AM1/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
can't agree more with Jon. It has feature that supports collaboration between users though I hardly make it works.

handoko -

Mat

Jan 17, 2016, 4:21:25 AM1/17/16
to TiddlyWiki, Chris Dent
Jon wrote:

Definitely some panic here. ...

People might want to check out TANK which is created by the lead developer of TiddlyWeb and, previously, TiddlySpace.

<:-)

Chris Dent

Jan 21, 2016, 11:14:03 AM1/21/16
to TiddlyWiki

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 2:14:14 PM UTC, Mat wrote:

I was positively surprised to see it last for as long as it did after @cdent left.

I think that's a credit to the work that I and others did to set things up. We had a really good group of people doing really good work. That things have remained standing for two years with apparently very little input from the remains of Osmosoft is quite remarkable.

And, just to be clear, in case there's any confusion: I didn't want to leave.

Chris Dent

Jan 21, 2016, 11:30:09 AM1/21/16
to TiddlyWiki, chris...@gmail.com

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:21:25 AM UTC, Mat wrote:

People might want to check out TANK which is created by the lead developer of TiddlyWeb and, previously, TiddlySpace.

I continue to maintain tank and use it as my daily notetaker. I don't, however, pay that much attention to how it is being used with tiddlywiki class and tw5. It can be used in that context:

* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/docs/TiddlyWiki%20Classic
* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/docs/TiddlyWiki%20Five

but I suspect there are some issues. Please feel free to try it out and if it does not behave make some issues

* https://github.com/cdent/tank/issues

I can't promise that I will attend to them immediately (day job comes first).

For people who want to experiment with their existing tiddlyspace content on tank there's a space for that:

* http://totank.tiddlyspace.com/

Again, I haven't tested this recently, but as far as I know nothing should have changed.

Throughout it all, though, please keep in mind that Tank has a different paradigm from TiddlySpace. On the surface it is an old school paged-based wiki. Underneath is a tiddler application platform. In that underneath layer it is possible to use either version of TiddlyWiki as one of the apps. I wrote about the differences between Tank and TiddlySpace last year:

* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/tank-notes/TiddlySpace%20and%20Tank

Tobias Beer

Jan 21, 2016, 12:37:28 PM1/21/16
to TiddlyWiki, chris...@gmail.com
Hi Chris,

Would you say it makes sense to...
  • figure out a local install of TiddlyWeb / TiddlyWebWiki
  • somehow replicate / migrate / import spaces there
Right now I'm inclined to simply make local backups of all spaces.
This, of course, will do away with any inclusion and produce standalone wikis.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

chris...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2016, 9:28:12 AM1/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, Tobias Beer wrote:

> Would you say it makes sense to...

I think what makes sense depends a great deal on who is doing it.
Unfortunately we never really achieved frictionless tiddlyweb.

> - figure out a local install of TiddlyWeb / TiddlyWebWiki
> - somehow replicate / migrate / import spaces there
>
> Right now I'm inclined to simply make local backups of all spaces.
> This, of course, will do away with any inclusion and produce standalone
> wikis.

I suspect local backups (that include all the stuff that would be
included from other spaces if hosted on tiddlyspace) is probably the
most straightforward way to continue getting individual functionality.

I'm sorry I can't give more concrete advice. I've never really become
all that savvy with TiddlyWiki.

--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

Yakov

Feb 1, 2016, 5:00:47 PM2/1/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi guys,

I may be sort of out of context as I read this group seldom these days, but here is what I'd like to ask/mention:

1. What do you think about TiddlyWiki.org? How valuable it is for you (I mean, I don't know, how many users of TiddlyWiki Classic like is out there)? Can it be stored somewhere so that it can be edited collectively like today? Or, more precisely, is anyone, among those reading this, ready to do smth about it (I guess, create hosting with TiddlyWeb platform, copy contents of the current wiki there and allow users to register and edit?) Actually, the same question for customize.tiddlyspace.com ...

2. EOL of TiddlySpace doesn't mean that tiddlyweb.com is going anywhere, does it?

3. Ok, this idea may be eclectic, but if we're talking about social aspect of using tiddlers, may be it would be useful to join another social engine and try to implement some extension for tiddlers in such a project. By saying this, I mostly mean Diaspora [1] which is open source decentralized social network (you may be have heard of already) and even if extending its main branch doesn't get approved by the core team, one can fork it and extend in any manner he or she likes to. At some early point of Diaspora development, there was even some buzz about Diaspora plugins, but unfortunately I can't find anything.

I fully understand that implementation of this idea is very likely to be very time-consuming, but, well, I'd like to share it anyway..

Best regards,
Yakov.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

chris...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 7:33:33 AM2/4/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Yakov wrote:

> 2. EOL of TiddlySpace doesn't mean that tiddlyweb.com is going anywhere,
> does it?

tiddlyweb.com is hosted on my personal server and the domain is
owned by Jeremy so that will be sticking around. One issue that will
need to be addressed is that a lot of the tiddlyweb documentation
currently lives on tiddlyspace in http://tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com/

I'll probably use totank to deal with that:
http://totank.tiddlyspace.com/

Yakov

Feb 23, 2016, 4:57:12 PM2/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ok. For those who are interested and are not members of tiddlywiki.org and customize.tiddlyspace.com, I've downloaded a copy of each one as TiddlyWiki (Classic) and attached to this post.

Chris, could you please do the same for the current snapshot of tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com?

It is sad that they'll become unavialable for collaboration even if I put them to my host, but there's some time to think how to adapt them to the new reality. But again, I hardly understand how much interest of TW Classic is out there today.

By the way, what kind of moderation is used in this group currently? (who is allowed to subscribe/post? which needs moderator approval?) I think it would be useful to create a TiddlyWiki Classic group since this one is full of TW5-only posts and that caused me to stop reading it regularly..

Best regards,
Yakov.

четверг, 4 февраля 2016 г., 15:33:33 UTC+3 пользователь Chris Dent написал:
customize.tiddlyspace.com (24.02.2016).html
tiddlywiki.org (24.02.16).html

chris...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2016, 5:19:05 PM2/23/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Yakov wrote:

> Chris, could you please do the same for the current snapshot of
> tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com?

I'll be moving the contents of that space to
https://tank.peermore.com/ sometime before the end of the year.
Much of the content in @tiddlyweb is formatted as markdown so
putting it in a tiddlywiki classic won't be of much use.

Tobias Beer

Feb 24, 2016, 3:13:43 AM2/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Yakov,

By the way, what kind of moderation is used in this group currently? (who is allowed to subscribe/post? which needs moderator approval?) I think it would be useful to create a TiddlyWiki Classic group since this one is full of TW5-only posts and that caused me to stop reading it regularly.

Why not just open one yourself? In fact, I just did so.

So, please join and I'll make you an admin, Yakov.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Yakov

Feb 25, 2016, 5:59:05 AM2/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tobias,

in fact I was considering doing so, that's why I've asked about moderation policy in this group: it strikes me as quite successful in terms of spam-fighting, so should be used in the new group as well. Anyway, thanks for creating it. I'll try to publish some new plugins and announce there shortly to get some more attention there.

Best regards,
Yakov.

Tobias Beer

Feb 25, 2016, 7:47:50 AM2/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Yakov,

in fact I was considering doing so, that's why I've asked about moderation policy in this group: it strikes me as quite successful in terms of spam-fighting, so should be used in the new group as well. Anyway, thanks for creating it. I'll try to publish some new plugins and announce there shortly to get some more attention there.

Wouldn't know about that, never been a manager / owner of this group, made you the latter in the new group.

Best wishes,

Tobias.