[TW5] Tiddly Pi - Simple Installation of TiddlyWiki on RaspberryPi

Alex

Jul 7, 2017, 8:51:45 PM7/7/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup some kind of "HomeWiki" for all relevant informationen for my home. TiddlyWiki seems to be a great tool for that. Furthermore I want to use a small webserver only for TiddlyWiki to have some kind of modular Home-Network and a simple possibility to backup the whole system. What could be better than a RaspberryPi for this requirements?

At first I tried to use the node.js-version of TiddlyWiki, but the missing possibility of linking to extern files is a No-Go for me. Also the backup-procedure seems to be simpler if I use the single-file-version.

Therefore I tried to set up the single-file-version on my RaspberryPi: (The following text is some kind of tutorial and reminder for myself and maybe this could help someone :))

Some parts of this tutorial are taken from http://www.richshumaker.com/tw5/RasPi-Knowledge.htm

1. Install Raspbian (ATM I only tested Raspbian Desktop)

2. Connect to the network/internet

3. Connect to RaspberryPi through ssl

ssl pi@[LOCAL IP ADDRESS]
  • standard password = raspberry (should be change)

4. Update Rapbian

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

5. Install apache-server

sudo apt install apache2 -y

6. Install php-server

sudo apt install php5 libapache2-mod-php5 -y

7. Make sure user owns /var/www for ftp-access

sudo chown -R pi /var/www

8. Download TW-file and upload to subfolder in /var/www

9. Create store.php

10. Place store.php in TW subfolder

  • I think it's better to create subfolder for TW-instances in /var/www
  • Upload store.php to folder with TiddlyWiki.html via FTP

11. Make sure apache-user is owner of store.php

  • this is my solution to errors during TW-saving-process and possible permission-problems

sudo chown www-data:www-data store.php

  • if you don't want to change ownership the permission should be set to 605

12. Set permissions to store.php

  • If you dont want to change credentials in the future 700 is good

sudo chmod 700 store.php

  • If you want to edit store.php in the future easily 706 is good (but I recommend to use 700)

sudo chmod 706 store.php

13. Set permissions/owner to TW-folder

  • If you use external files (pdf) like me, the owner of the TW-folder shouldn't be the apache-user
    • Thus you can easily upload files via FTP
    • Permission should be 707

sudo chmod 707 [TW-folder]

  • If you do not use external files, you could change owner of TW-folder to apache user and set permission to 700

sudo chmod 700 [TW-folder]

14. Set credentials in TW

----

If you use external files, I think it is best to put them in a folder in TW-folder. You could simply link to them via HTTP-Links and you could easily backup them by copying the whole folder.

I think the RaspberryPi with TW-single-file is a nice and clean setup. Simple to install and easy to backup.