Is there an automated way to track mods/additions to system & shadow tiddlers?

barro...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2018, 4:17:53 PM7/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Currently using this filter in a tiddler from Tobias' filter wiki

<<list-links filter:"[is[shadow]]">>

which seems to keep track of modifications to the wiki, even simple ones like theme tweaks from the control panel.  I'm also using the unique prefix naming method suggested to things such as custom stylesheets being added to the system so they can be tracked and found easily.

Is there a more encompassing way to automatically track and list all changes and additions to the default wiki other than the content tiddlers, which I believe would be helpful when it came time to upgrade to future TW versions.  (I believe mods to system ad shadow tiddlers can interfere with upgrading iirc)

Mark S.

Jul 25, 2018, 5:14:21 PM7/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Maybe something like:

<<list-links "[all[tiddlers+shadows]prefix[$]days[-100]]">>

Which will show all system tiddlers that you have created in the last 100 days (change # of days per your needs). Note that this won't tell you if you've added someone else's plugin unless that plugin has been modified in the last 100 days.

-- Mark

TonyM

Jul 25, 2018, 8:04:43 PM7/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

There are a number of additional possibilities I have uncovered that could help you with but if you can provide a bit more of a background it would help.

One of the easiest methods would be to ensure you have a username always set, and you can then at the end of the day list all tiddlers created by or modified by that user id.

If you want to capture the installation of external tiddlers and plugins as well, which would not carry your user ID, install the bundles plugin and activate the import bundle which records all the imports in a single bundle. The bundles plugin also allows you to set up a filter bundle which will be the way to identify all your tiddlers (you can use multiple filters) to export and delete them when you are finished.

Using the naming standards available also simplifies it, like I use $:/PSaT/ as a prefix to all the system tiddlers I create.

Regards
Tony

barro...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2018, 1:06:33 PM7/28/18
to TiddlyWiki
Interesting approach, I added - !prefix[$:/state]!prefix[$:/temp] to the filter.  I don't believe state and temp tiddlers need to be considered and they really dominate the list results.

Yes plugins added and any modified tiddlers they have would be one of the major things along with personal changes I would be attempting to keep track of.

But I'm still learning TW and found Control Panel listed all overridden shadows (which th filter I ori)and in the More tab, here's Explorer which shows any custom directories created.  Thinking of creating an utility tiddler to leave in each TW I create so I can have something to track changes, usually unique to each, for when I have to go back to them in the future to upgrade them.

It appears that Tony knows of a plug in that tracks 3rd party additions (plugins)

barro...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2018, 10:44:47 AM7/29/18
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry Tony wasn't meaning to ignore, been busy and slow getting to responses,

There are a number of additional possibilities I have uncovered that could help you with but if you can provide a bit more of a background it would help.

Firstmost, looking at creating something to track mainly changes to system and shadows that usually aren't visible like content tiddlers, for troubleshooting and also when it comes time to upgrade the core (I understand modified shadow and system tiddlers can interfere)

Second, to create a record of modifications that would be delivered with the wiki to the end user, so once they learn TW well enough to go beyond basic usage, they will be able to see what I had modified, in case they want to change the modifications.  I'm basically taking TW, customizing it for particular applications and delivering a customized TW to the end user.  I found I was more successful in promoting TW by showing exactly how TW can be used rather than just directing attention to a useful tool.  The one customized TW I'm preparing is for indexing a city (world building) for a video game development company and some documentation of what I've done to create their tool would be wise so I done leave them completely high n dry when I soon retire.

One of the easiest methods would be to ensure you have a username always set, and you can then at the end of the day list all tiddlers created by or modified by that user id.

Good idea for tracking changes by other users.  I had already created a tiddler for showing last change to wiki and by whom.

If you want to capture the installation of external tiddlers and plugins as well, which would not carry your user ID, install the bundles plugin and activate the import bundle which records all the imports in a single bundle. The bundles plugin also allows you to set up a filter bundle which will be the way to identify all your tiddlers (you can use multiple filters) to export and delete them when you are finished.

Using the naming standards available also simplifies it, like I use $:/PSaT/ as a prefix to all the system tiddlers I create.

Agreed, something I saw Tobias suggesting, makes it easier to distinguish personally added system tiddlers from the stock system tiddlers.  Been reading through the material out there about working with TW, I'm going to be reading awhile ; ).

I'm thinking of making something to inventory of the wiki before any modifications or importing is done, to create a manifest list like I see other software has, to have a list to compare against. Still don't know enough to know if that would be a good approach.

There is much I'm still learning about TW, so much has already been built into the wiki that I still don't know of.  This is a pretty amazing piece of software, it makes my various IFrame content browsers pale in comparsion.  Main reason I switch was the wiki editng capable with local drive asset browsing.  So I can coordinate text, html. images and pdf's of a personal proect which has a online version that differs from the print version (pdf's) but uses the same source matterial (text and images which makes the wiki content); both versions have to be coordinated and the differences documentated.  Can do that all from the wiki.

TonyM

Jul 29, 2018, 8:50:25 PM7/29/18
to TiddlyWiki
Barro,

So you are keen to get a comprehensive record. So consider the tips I gave previously and have a look at the functionality given in the following;
  • https://tiddlywiki.com/#haschanged%20Operator list tiddlers changed in this session (last load of Wiki) perhaps use to export changes to a json file. Use in advanced search filter then click export.
  • Auto-download modified tiddlers see Official TiddlyWiki Plugin Library
    This plugin causes TiddlyWiki to continuously download (as a JSON file) the contents of any tiddler that is manually changed by any of several means:
  • Start filters with "all[shadows+tiddlers]]" to include system tiddlers in lists.
I recommend you use a login name for yourself, then you can list tiddlers modified by you and created by you

You could even document detailed changes
Regards
Tony