[TW5] Implementation ideas for dragging links into textareas

BurningTreeC

Feb 22, 2018, 4:50:41 AM2/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi community,

I'd like to gather some ideas for dragging links into text areas

The current status is, that dragging a link - from the Recent tab for example - into a text area or an input field - creates a link to the dragged tiddler like [[tiddler title]]

I've made a pull request so that holding the Ctrl key while dragging results in {{tiddler title}}

... and : holding Shift adds a user-defined prefix and a user-defined suffix like:

userdefined prefix: <<im-calling-a-macro """
userdefined suffix: """>>

dragging-result: <<im-calling-a-macro """tiddler-title""">>

... or whatever you want to add as prefix and suffix

Now it would still be possible to add something different when holding Ctrl AND Shift while dragging, and therefor I'd like to ask you for ideas
The prefix + suffix implementation is already there, what could be others?

BurningTreeC

PMario

Feb 22, 2018, 5:09:32 AM2/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Nice stuff - at the beginning. ... But IMHO, you may not hard-code and block all possible combinations, just because you can.

I first supported your PR for the core, but if you over-engineer it, I think it should be a plugin. So users have the choice.

TW has a possibility to configure edit shortcuts: https://tiddlywiki.com/#KeyboardShortcuts:KeyboardShortcuts%20%24%3A%2FControlPanel

I personally would prefer a possibility to choose shortcuts by myself!

have fun
mario

BurningTreeC

Feb 22, 2018, 5:18:39 AM2/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
@PMario,

It is still the original implementation, I'm just looking for ideas, if something very useful comes up
Don't understand why now it should be a plugin, just because I'm asking for ideas?

These things will only have effect while dragging - how can one set this from the keyboard shortcuts panel?

If it's possible then the feature is very well under-documented

I think transclusion is such a central topic in tw that the ctrl+drag = transclusion is very justified to be in the core.
The prefix and suffix, too, because that's a central way how the whole html and wikitext syntax work

For anything else I'm just looking for Ideas

Simon

PMario

Feb 22, 2018, 5:32:01 AM2/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:18:39 AM UTC+1, BurningTreeC wrote:
It is still the original implementation, I'm just looking for ideas, if something very useful comes up
Don't understand why now it should be a plugin, just because I'm asking for ideas?

IMO your initial PR is generic enough for the core. And there are some combinations left for future development. ...

But if the core contains hard-coded functions for too many possible combination with Shift, Ctrl and Alt, it may be against users preferred settings.
But if we implement something, we have to be sure, to keep it. ...

You know, Jeremy is very restrictive about backwards compatibility. So if something is core, we have to live with it for a really long time!

These things will only have effect while dragging - how can one set this from the keyboard shortcuts panel?

I don't know. I did just point to an option, that I personally would prefer configuration over hard-coded functionality.

And if a new config UI will bloat the core even more, I'll always vote for a plugin as an alternative.

If it's possible then the feature is very well under-documented

Probably.

I think transclusion is such a central topic in tw that the ctrl+drag = transclusion is very justified to be in the core.
The prefix and suffix, too, because that's a central way how the whole html and wikitext syntax work

Right, that's why I would support it for the core.

For anything else I'm just looking for Ideas

OK ... as plugins or configurable.

have fun!
mario

BurningTreeC

Feb 22, 2018, 5:42:17 AM2/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the clarification, Mario!
my pulse is stable again :)

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:18:39 AM UTC+1, BurningTreeC wrote:
It is still the original implementation, I'm just looking for ideas, if something very useful comes up
Don't understand why now it should be a plugin, just because I'm asking for ideas?

IMO your initial PR is generic enough for the core. And there are some combinations left for future development. ...

But if the core contains hard-coded functions for too many possible combination with Shift, Ctrl and Alt, it may be against users preferred settings.
But if we implement something, we have to be sure, to keep it. ...

You know, Jeremy is very restrictive about backwards compatibility. So if something is core, we have to live with it for a really long time!

I understand, that's a good thing in the whole picture

These things will only have effect while dragging - how can one set this from the keyboard shortcuts panel?

I don't know. I did just point to an option, that I personally would prefer configuration over hard-coded functionality.

And if a new config UI will bloat the core even more, I'll always vote for a plugin as an alternative.

If it's possible then the feature is very well under-documented

Probably.

I once tried making a shortcut and gave up. But I'd like to understand how to do it and I would then add some words to the docs to document it better

I think transclusion is such a central topic in tw that the ctrl+drag = transclusion is very justified to be in the core.
The prefix and suffix, too, because that's a central way how the whole html and wikitext syntax work

Right, that's why I would support it for the core.

For anything else I'm just looking for Ideas

OK ... as plugins or configurable.

configurable if it comes out that there are very good things that could be done, no configurable implementation in the core if not, and a beer next time in Innsbruck
deal?

have fun!
mario