Saving in Safari

Sergei Gerasenko

Jul 23, 2017, 11:02:43 AM7/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

I'm running Safari 10.1.1. According to this Saving on Safari, I should get a dialog when trying to save on Safari, I don't :( Sorry if this is an FAQ.

Thanks,
  Sergei

Sergei Gerasenko

Jul 23, 2017, 11:04:40 AM7/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
The problem is that Safari appends -1, -2, etc on each save, which is bad when working with TiddlyWiki. I would like the original wiki file to be overwritten.

TonyM

Jul 24, 2017, 4:02:51 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Sergie,

I have not attempted to get tiddlywiki to save on safarie but I have just installed firefox and the plugin tiddlyfox on my mac mini and that works. Also I installed node.js on the MAC and that should work from within safari,

Regards
Tony

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2017, 5:16:25 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Sergei

As far as I am aware, Safari has never had "overwrite saving". To do it you'd need an add-on for TiddlyWiki and Safari hasn't got one.

In addition you should note that ALL standard browsers will cease simple overwrite saving by early 2018.

To understand what is happening read: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywiki/4yyMPH-0hXg/SjIOy7aeAgAJ

There are a number of solutions. But if you are an ordinary user then switching to Firefox is likely you best bet at the moment.

Regards
Josiah

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 24, 2017, 5:22:25 AM7/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Until sometime in the last few months, Safari didn’t support directly downloading changes; instead one had to right click and save a base64 generated URL. Safari does now handle the downloads properly, so the standard HTML5 fallback saver now works OK on Safari.

As far as I am aware, Safari has never had "overwrite saving". To do it you'd need an add-on for TiddlyWiki and Safari hasn't got one.

It wouldn’t need to be a TiddlyWiki-specific addon. There are addons for Chrome that force downloads to overwrite the previous file, and these work well with TiddlyWiki.

In addition you should note that ALL standard browsers will cease simple overwrite saving by early 2018.

It’s not quite that bad: TiddlyFox will stop working in the latest versions of Firefox, but those download overwriting plugins will still work.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
The problem is that Safari appends -1, -2, etc on each save, which is bad when working with TiddlyWiki. I would like the original wiki file to be overwritten.

PMario

Jul 24, 2017, 6:13:27 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 11:22:25 AM UTC+2, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
In addition you should note that ALL standard browsers will cease simple overwrite saving by early 2018.

It’s not quite that bad: TiddlyFox will stop working in the latest versions of Firefox, but those download overwriting plugins will still work.

Do you have links for those plugins?, that are tested with latest FF or nightly FF?

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2017, 6:49:16 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario & Jeremy

I believe Jeremy was referring to the Chrome Overwrite Saver

IF its a Web Extension that would be good news. If its an "app", it too will be retired if Google go ahead with their 2018 plans.

My overall feel is that we don't need to panic. In fact TiddlyWiki stalwarts will do fine with work like TiddlyServer & Noteself shaping up, as well as other approaches emerging.

HOWEVER, for average, normal users, the increasing difficultly of simple overwrite saving is, I think, a big issue, that will grow. I think it limits uptake of TW. Which is a great shame IMO.

Josiah

PMario wrote:
Jeremy Ruston wrote:
TiddlyTweeter wrote: In addition you should note that ALL standard browsers will cease simple overwrite saving by early 2018.
It’s not quite that bad: TiddlyFox will stop working in the latest versions of Firefox, but those download overwriting plugins will still work.

Jeremy Ruston

Jul 24, 2017, 7:33:36 AM7/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It’s not quite that bad: TiddlyFox will stop working in the latest versions of Firefox, but those download overwriting plugins will still work.

Do you have links for those plugins?, that are tested with latest FF or nightly FF?

I’ve been focusing on Chrome extensions, on the basis that Firefox is striving for compatibility; developing against Chrome would appear to give us the broadest reach. I’ve been studying the “Downloads Overwrite Existing Files” sample, which appears at the bottom of this listing:

Best wishes

Jeremy

-m

Mark S.

Jul 24, 2017, 10:30:49 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
The current download saver promises to remember the last download directory. But the chrome extensions may limit you to the download directory and subdirectories. At least one of those in the link says ..

Absolute paths, empty paths, and paths containing back-references ".." will be ignored.

If it only saves to a sub-directory of the downloads directory, that would be inconvenient.

I'm still wondering if a more natural solution might be a shell script (different script for each platform) that would find the most recent TW file (based on stem name), save it to the the target working directory, and launch it. For the rest of the session, the user would work and save as usual.

Mark

Ton Gerner

Jul 24, 2017, 11:22:16 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark & All,

> If it only saves to a sub-directory of the downloads directory, that would be inconvenient.

Linux Mint 17.3, Chrome 59, Extension "Downloads Overwrite Existing Files".

Chrome saves to my own directory set in Advanced settings.

Cheers,

Ton

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2017, 11:24:02 AM7/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Mark S.

Be glad you can get it to save to a (sort-of) user designated directory ... the last implementation only allowed saving to the default download directory. I'm referencing here the actual add-on at Chrome Webstore ... I'm not sure what the tech underneath permits in potentio.

The big issue with Chrome longer term is whether its going to dump Apps ... which its says it IS going to do ... provisionally early 2018. The problem is that APIs on WebExtensions--i.e. what lives on--are essentially directly, at the moment, seriously antipathetic to direct overwrite saving of ANY kind. That's my understanding. I may be wrong, I HOPE I am, but I never seen anyone assert otherwise.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2017, 11:37:51 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Ton

If you have only one TW, or are happy to have them all in one dir, this will work great.

I sometimes feel spoiled with Tiddlyfox in FF with 7 TW all in very different places. But *SHOULD* I?

Or should I feel pissed-off that in the future keeping MY structure is gonna become a PITA?

Josiah :-)

Mark S.

Jul 24, 2017, 11:41:57 AM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Ton,

Not sure what you're saying. Yes, you can change the download directory. But I keep my TW files in directories far away from the download directory. So I would either have to change the downloads directory whenever using TW or constantly be moving downloaded files out of the TW directory. Or use the save-as option, in which case I'll probably turn off auto-save ... and occasionally lose stuff.

"I guess every form of refuge has it's price" - Eagles - Lyin' Eyes

Thanks,
Mark

Sergei Gerasenko

Jul 24, 2017, 11:46:15 AM7/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses. I’m now testing a solution with Hammerspoon (which works only on Mac), but basically it allows me to watch the Downloads directory and run a custom action. The action can be renaming  those -1,-2 files or copying the latest one somewhere.

Before, I was using Chrome and an extension to overwrite previously downloaded files.

Mark S.

Jul 24, 2017, 12:28:08 PM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
That's a good idea too. Unfortunately, the only solutions I could find for windows so far are commercial.

Mark

Ton Gerner

Jul 24, 2017, 1:43:34 PM7/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah & Mark,

Most of my TWs are scattered over a separate HD and/or Dropbox.
In Dropbox I use a TW5 folder (and a few subfolders)
Mainly I use Firefox with TiddlyFox. For uploading my guides to TiddlySpot I use Chrome.
Sometimes I use TiddlyDesktop (handy to have a different TW open next to the one in Firefox) and node.js (I still don't see the benefits for my normal use).

In short: the Firefox/Tiddlyfox combination works the best for me.

I just tried Chrome with "Downloads Overwrite Existing Files" to see if I could use another directory than the download directory (where Mark had his doubts about).
I changed the download location to my TW5 Dropbox folder which than works for (auto)saving TW.
For sure it is only handy when you stick to one folder otherwise you cannot use autosave in Chrome.

Cheers,

Ton

Eneko Gotzon

Jul 24, 2017, 5:28:29 PM7/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’ve been studying the “Downloads Overwrite Existing Files” sample…

​Thank all you ​for all your work.

​Take care.
--
Eneko Gotzon Ares