Doubled Single Quotes Behavior in text/vnd.tiddlywiki format - do these need to be escaped or is it a bug?

Cade Roux

Aug 13, 2019, 7:47:08 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
I have this in a Tiddler and I was wondering if this is a bug or intentional?

I fixed it with:

Thanks in advance,

Cade

Mark S.

Aug 13, 2019, 7:57:38 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Double single quotes begin bold.

You could switch the tiddler to HTML mode, if you're not going to use any TW features.

Perhaps you could explain why you need double single quotes?

Mat

Aug 13, 2019, 7:59:52 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, I'd say it's intentional. Double single quotes is for making bold text and the overlapping scopes of this vs the td/tr causes the problem.

<:-)

Eric Shulman

Aug 13, 2019, 8:00:43 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:47:08 PM UTC-7, Cade Roux wrote:
I have this in a Tiddler and I was wondering if this is a bug or intentional?

Two single-quotes in a row is a wikitext formatting syntax indicating the *start* of bold text.  Thus, you have started a section of bold text, but did not *end* it.   As a result, everything that follows is being parsed as a mal-formed HTML table.

To work around it, you only need to change *one* of the quotes in the first set of single quotes to &apos; ... and you don't need to do anything with the second, as it doesn't trigger the bold formatting.

Like this:

Cade Roux

Aug 13, 2019, 8:11:04 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
It's a code sample and it's an empty string.

As an example, the actual code in that cell is:

EXEC Doc.UpdateXP @obj = '[Config].[ConfigName]', @name = 'MS_Description', @value = '';

It's an output of my build process that highlights database artifacts without metadata and that is the code to add the missing metadata.

I guess I should look at the code backticks.  If I put the code backticks around it, can there be back to back ' embedded in the code?

Thanks,

Cade

PMario

Aug 14, 2019, 5:24:17 PM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

If you want to disable some wikitext rules you can put the

\rules except bold

pragma at the very beginning of the tiddler. So double single quotes will no longer start a "bold" text section.

hope that helps
-mario

Cade Roux

Aug 14, 2019, 6:15:26 PM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
I have decided to go ahead and use the backticks around it and (also to be careful when that text is empty to not put two consecutive backticks).

I'm changing up the markup to generally use TW for now and potentially move to XML in front of that with an XSLT to transform to TW or other targets depending on how the prototype is received.

Thanks,

Cade