TwederateBOB

Ste Wilson

Aug 3, 2019, 2:04:31 PM8/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
The fabled holy grail...

I believe it's possible right here right now thanks to the awesome bob.
My understanding is we just need a server.
And someone competent to do things.

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/ seem to offer a very cheap hosting solution where we could have access to the command line on our own raspberry pi.

Would that do the job? Would anybody contribute (I'm happy to put some quids in).

What domain name?

Would this be something anyone else is interested in?

Mat

Aug 3, 2019, 2:22:45 PM8/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
I assume Jed / inmysocks will reply if when he reads this but if you're serious about engaging Ste...

Jed already has a server that he is willing to let people use for free! Here.

He has even invited people to put up e.g plugins for a central plugin repository!

He has also built much of the infrastructure for it, i.e a plugin that people can install so they have direct download access to the things on the server (a.k.a plugin library)

The single thing he is not brilliant at is to promote it ;-) ;-) ;-)

Now, the whole thing does need more "polishing" for most people to use it comfortably. In addition, my own opinion is that fetching tiddlers shouldn't have to be only from dedicated servers but from any tiddlywiki publicly hosted anywhere. I'm currently working on a UI for this (also based on Jeds creations). It is a rather slow process, partly because of my difficulty in expressing exactly what I need to make it possible to build on top of what he has created but also partly because, as indicated, people won't use it unless it is polished enough. People are accustomed to Apple design quality for everything.

Do you want to engage?

<:-)

Ste Wilson

Aug 3, 2019, 2:34:48 PM8/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
I did not know any of that!
And I thought I kept up on this board!

Jed Carty

Aug 3, 2019, 2:54:52 PM8/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ste,

Yes, it is possible with what currently exists.

I got tired of trying to promote the single html file version of TWederation because it has been around for about 3 years and with 4 or 5 very notable exceptions there was almost no response past 'I would like to try it when it is ready' despite it being ready.

After that I just didn't care enough to try and publicise it.

I am currently working on making inter-server federation work on Bob so that you can selectively sync with remote servers and have a mesh of servers working as a forum/IM system.

And on top of that I am playing with the components needed so that you could run it on your computer/phone/whatever and it could hook into the mesh as long as you could contact at least one other node on it. Or you could just run your own local or publicly available mesh.

In short, yes I am interested and this is a big reason that the next version of Bob is taking so long.

OokTech is probably going to start offering hosting for wikis on a Bob server in the near future (shh, it's a secret)

Birthe C

Aug 3, 2019, 3:18:46 PM8/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jed,

That is overwhelming - totally excited about your news.
Jed, please do not give up on us. I am sure I am not the only one having some difficulties understanding it all. But curious and eager.....that I am.

Birthe