New plugin : link completion in body

Alain Dutech

Feb 22, 2016, 2:43:20 PM2/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

if, like me, you are a bit lazy, I've made a plugin that could interest you.
When editing a tiddler body, if you type `[[pattern`, a popup will offer you a list of existing tiddlers that match your pattern.

You can try/install it from http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit

In the near futur you will be able to use UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the link you'd like to select in the popup.

Enjoy, suggest improvement, critic or signal bugs...

Snow.

Tobias Beer

Feb 22, 2016, 3:31:23 PM2/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Alain,

Two things:

1) Please upgrade that wiki, its edit-template is still broken in your pre-release version.

2) If at all possible, I think the popup should show / reopen with any letter typed so long as there are two opening square brackets that are unclosed... immediately before the caret position. Atm, you have to get it right the first time around, otherwise it's gone, e.g. if you use any arrows,or backspace, etc.

Some feedback:
  • Trigger completion with Ctrl+Space
    • good idea
  • Use ARROWS to navigate the popupwindow
    • definitely, up and down + enter
  • Not sure : my way of having a popup window is also crude and low-level.
    • haven't looked at the code, but I guess that's necessary
  • Not sure : should I delete the popupNode DomNode (popupWindow) explicitely or is it automatically taken care of by the TW5 engine ?
    • I think your popup should not be a standard TiddlyWiki popup
    • those are simply too limited in many ways, including positioning
Best wishes,

Tobias.

David Gifford

Feb 22, 2016, 8:13:03 PM2/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
Great idea, Alain!

Dave

Alain Dutech

Feb 23, 2016, 11:55:08 AM2/23/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tobias;
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Tobias Beer <beert...@gmail.com> wrote:

1) Please upgrade that wiki, its edit-template is still broken in your pre-release version.

I do not clearly understand what you are talking about. You mean I should step up to TW5 version 5.1.11 ? I'll do.

2) If at all possible, I think the popup should show / reopen with any letter typed so long as there are two opening square brackets that are unclosed... immediately before the caret position. Atm, you have to get it right the first time around, otherwise it's gone, e.g. if you use any arrows,or backspace, etc.

Yep, the current behavior was my first (and simple) intent but I see the advantage of what you suggest. I'll try to do that, but it means I have to rethink my internal 'detection' of a pattern. But definitely feasible.

Some feedback:
  • Trigger completion with Ctrl+Space
    • good idea
Should be easier once the previous suggestion will be coded.
  • Use ARROWS to navigate the popupwindow
    • definitely, up and down + enter
  • Not sure : my way of having a popup window is also crude and low-level.
    • haven't looked at the code, but I guess that's necessary
  • Not sure : should I delete the popupNode DomNode (popupWindow) explicitely or is it automatically taken care of by the TW5 engine ?
    • I think your popup should not be a standard TiddlyWiki popup
    • those are simply too limited in many ways, including positioning
Best wishes,

Thanks for your return and suggestions.

Alain

Tobias.

Alain Dutech

Feb 29, 2016, 3:05:50 PM2/29/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

an updated version of my completion plugin is available. This time you can :
 - enter completion mode with [[ or CTRL+SPACE
 - if pattern is at leat 2 letters long, a popup with matchind tiddlers appears
 - use BACKSPACE, LEFT/RIGHT, DEL while in completion mode
 - use UP/DOWN to select a completion option
 - validate your choice using ENTER
 - quit completion mode using ESC

You can try/install it from http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit

Of course, all feedbacks are welcome,
Alain

mondayrobot

Mar 3, 2016, 10:15:00 AM3/3/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Alain,

This is a phenomenal plugin for quick linking and creating relationships between tiddlers, thank you!

There are a couple of things that I think would be nice:
1. Maybe make it possible to identify the pattern not only with the first letters, but in all the tiddler title. For instance if I start writing "[[pat " I would get a list with the tiddlers "Patterns in nature" and "Quilting patterns". Sometimes you don't know the exact name of a tiddler (without searching), but you have a general idea.
2. Related to the first one, if possible make the "search" case insensitive

Thanks again,

Alain Dutech

Mar 3, 2016, 12:42:32 PM3/3/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mr Robot :o)

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM, mondayrobot <adrian...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Alain,

This is a phenomenal plugin for quick linking and creating relationships between tiddlers, thank you!
Thanks.

There are a couple of things that I think would be nice:
1. Maybe make it possible to identify the pattern not only with the first letters, but in all the tiddler title. For instance if I start writing "[[pat " I would get a list with the tiddlers "Patterns in nature" and "Quilting patterns". Sometimes you don't know the exact name of a tiddler (without searching), but you have a general idea.

That should already be the case. In the demo, if you type [[Fo, it gives you "hisFor" as a possible link, no?

2. Related to the first one, if possible make the "search" case insensitive

Yep, I'll make that an option in the next release (before end of march).
Meanwhile, you can make this search case INsensitive with some (simple) steps.

1) Open System Tiddler named "$:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext"
2) From there, open "$:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext.js" (answer yes to the question about modifiying a shadow/system tiddler)
3) Edit the tiddler body and in the javascrip function :
this._findBestMatches = function....
replace
var regpat = RegExp( this._regExpEscape(pattern));
by
var regpat = RegExp( this._regExpEscape(pattern), "i" );
Save and reload...

Alain.

Thanks again,

mondayrobot

Mar 5, 2016, 3:11:57 PM3/5/16
to TiddlyWiki

1. Maybe make it possible to identify the pattern not only with the first letters, but in all the tiddler title. For instance if I start writing "[[pat " I would get a list with the tiddlers "Patterns in nature" and "Quilting patterns". Sometimes you don't know the exact name of a tiddler (without searching), but you have a general idea.

That should already be the case. In the demo, if you type [[Fo, it gives you "hisFor" as a possible link, no?

Thank you for your help. I was trying it at work, and it didn't seem to work (Firefox on Win). Now I'm at my home computer (Firefox on Linux) and it works just fine. I'll check again on monday, probably I did something wrong.

And thanks for the case sensitivity solution :)

Alain Dutech

Mar 6, 2016, 5:01:17 AM3/6/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@mondayrobot : let me know if something is wrong on Firefox+Win. I can sometime have access to such a platform and could try to fix it.

@everyone : a new version of the plugin is available, with a small CSS fix (no more bullets) and a configuration tiddler (swith case sensitive / insensitive)

You can try/install it from http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit
Enjoy, suggest improvement, critic or signal bugs...

Snow

mondayrobot

Mar 8, 2016, 4:04:31 AM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:01:17 PM UTC+2, Alain Dutech wrote:
@mondayrobot : let me know if something is wrong on Firefox+Win. I can sometime have access to such a platform and could try to fix it.

Hello, just wanted to let you know that everything is fine on Firefox + Win. It was probably something I did wrong.

Thanks again

CL

Mar 8, 2016, 4:22:58 AM3/8/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alian. Thanks for sharing awesome plugin! I really like the plugin.

This is not a huge problem but just letting you know that It doesn't work when I use Windows 10 default virtual touch keyboard.
It happens for all browsers in Windows 10.

Best wishes
CL

2016년 2월 23일 화요일 오전 4시 43분 20초 UTC+9, Alain Dutech 님의 말:

Alain Dutech

Jon

Mar 9, 2016, 1:32:37 AM3/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for this Alain - should be very useful.

Regards
Jon

Mat

Mar 9, 2016, 5:58:43 AM3/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Alain, thank you for this!

It is sparking lots of wonderful ideas. The fact that it pops up at the very spot you're at in the text is very valuable.

Could it be made more generic so to trigger on also other things than "[[" and so the user can decide what is shown in the popup?

I'm thinking of a Stamp tool, like what Jeremy just relased with the text editor toolbar and related to my select feature in QuickTid - but having a stamp tool appear at-the-spot and automatically from typing would be superior. It makes it also inte a text auto-completion tool.

Another specifi use would be a better way to add tags. The current tag pills procedure in edit mode is a bit static in that you cannot change a tag without deleting it. Previously (in TW2) there was a single tags field but you didn't get clues about existing tags and it was easy to misspell. Edit comp could bring the best of two worlds; tags really presented like text (not pills) in edit mode, i.e simple to edit AND with edit-comp clues when typing them.

Really exciting!

<:-)

Jon

Mar 9, 2016, 11:26:25 AM3/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
Also, could it be used within Mat's SideEditor plugin? That would be the height of laziness!

Regards
Jon

Alain Dutech

Mar 11, 2016, 5:59:47 PM3/11/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Mat+Jon : in short, I don't know if it is easiliy compatible with something else than my modified editor. But I've tried to have it as modular as possible. I'll try to check on the various elements you have mentionned and change things if not.

In fact, I'm happy with the version I have now as it fulfill my needs  BUT
 1) I find it fun to make it more generic by having users associate triggers (ex '[[') with TW5 filters so as to be as generic as possible. I will definitely work on that in the near future. I just need to understand the TW5 API to use filters.
 2) try the completion popup module on various elements cited in your mails. But this is less a priority for me.

I'll keep the mailing list informed.

Alain

ken robertson

Mar 20, 2016, 10:06:22 AM3/20/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
G'day Alain,

Your plugin is quite neat.  You might consider adding the plugin's details to the Community Search wiki.

http://erwanm.github.io/tw-community-search/#AuthorDocumentation

--
Regards
Ken

Alain Dutech

Mar 22, 2016, 7:25:30 AM3/22/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
small update of the completion plugin : you can now define your own completion trigger (ex: '[[' or '<<' or whatever you want) and give a filter operator (like [all[tiddlers]] or [tag[STHING]!is[system]]) to the completion plugin. And it should work.

As usual, try and install from http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit

My next moves will most certainly be :
 - allow completion also from a list/array of strings instead of specifying a filter operator
 - on a dev side, try to make it possible to have a completion+popup module easy to add to any edit-like widget by simply using something like
require('path/to/completion.js');
var completion = Completion( editLikeWidget, completionOptions );
in javascript tiddlers
 - try it on plugins mentionned in previous mails on this thread (see Mat+Jon)

But, I am in no hurry...

Alain

Mat

Mar 22, 2016, 8:19:45 AM3/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 12:25:30 PM UTC+1, Alain Dutech wrote:
Hello,
small update of the completion plugin : you can now define your own completion trigger (ex: '[[' or '<<' or whatever you want) and give a filter operator (like [all[tiddlers]] or [tag[STHING]!is[system]]) to the completion plugin. And it should work.

Alain - this is great news.

I don't quite understand how to create a customer trigger though.
And I can't understand where in your example "<p" is defined to be a trigger. It doesn't seem to be the macro defined in "PNJ macro for the example".

1) How would I set, say, @ to be the trigger?
2) How do I make it show a list of, say, people names? Would the names have to be tiddlers and perhaps tagged something?
3) ...and where do I specify that filter operator you refer to? I can see no explanation for this.

Really exciting stuff - thanks again Alain!

<:-)

Alain Dutech

Mar 22, 2016, 8:38:39 AM3/22/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mat,

it is explained in the tiddler $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/usage
The link below should get you there.
http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fsnowgoon88%2Fedit-comptext%2Fusage

About your specific questions:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Mat <matia...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't quite understand how to create a customer trigger though.
And I can't understand where in your example "<p" is defined to be a trigger. It doesn't seem to be the macro defined in "PNJ macro for the example".

It is in the config file $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/config. And yes, '<p' triggers the completion mecanisme but once a completion is selected, '<p' is replaced by '<<pnjin "'.

1) How would I set, say, @ to be the trigger?
see example below
2) How do I make it show a list of, say, people names? Would the names have to be tiddlers and perhaps tagged something?
=> yes, for the moment. Say you tag these tiddlers with "people"
3) ...and where do I specify that filter operator you refer to? I can see no explanation for this.

in the config file $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/config, in the "template" array, you would add a 'template' like
      {
      "pattern": "@",
      "filter": "[tag[people]!is[system]]",
      "start": "<<myMacro ",
      "end": ">>"
      },
the 'start' and 'end' strings are added before and after the completion chosen.

Alain

Really exciting stuff - thanks again Alain!

<:-)

Sylvain Naudin

Mar 22, 2016, 9:14:41 AM3/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Alain,

FYI I've try on a Mac OS 10.6 with Firefox et Chrome and it doesn't work. Not yet try on my Fedora.

Sylvain

Matthew Petty

Mar 24, 2016, 2:16:06 AM3/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Just to say, this is fantastic. Thank you so much! I've been hoping for something like this for ages. It makes note-taking so much quicker.

Alain Dutech

Apr 4, 2016, 3:55:52 PM4/4/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
a quick 'UP' to tell you the new version of the completion plugin is ready to test.
 - (for @Matt) : you can now use the completion plugin to insert the body of tiddlers. So, this allow for "stamps" or "snippets" or "pieces of text". I do not know the right term. (see the examples)
 - for developpers, the completion module is now nearly self sufficient, so it should be easier (I didn't say 'easy') to add it to the upcoming 5.1.12 version of TW5 with the toolbar
 - I haven't had the occasion to debug on a Mac, so as noticed by @Sylvain, this is likely to not work on MacOS+Firefox/Chrome...

As usual, you can try/install it from http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit
Remarks, bugs, suggestions are all welcomed.
Alain

Matthew Petty

Jan 22, 2017, 12:48:53 AM1/22/17
to TiddlyWiki
I really love this plugin, but it seems that it conflicts with the new text editor toolbars. I think this is because you have to change the editor type. Any ideas about a fix? I would like to have the new toolbars AND keep the wonderful autocomplete!

Alain Dutech

Jan 29, 2017, 1:47:41 PM1/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

yes. I remembered I noticed this misbehavior when I first tested the toolbar. At the time, I did not take the time to investigate further. I'll try to find some motivation to try to solve all this. But February will be quite busy...
I'll keep you informed.

Alain

Jan

Jan 29, 2017, 3:35:15 PM1/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Salut Alain,
As I just wrote in Mat's other thread: I made some tests trying out a modifications for screenwriting...and discovered a problem, which nowappears to be somewhat smaller than I thougt:
Even if the text in the edit-window already appears to be completed as desired, if you don't type a further letter, after saving in the view-mode it just reads what I typed to trigger the tiddler-link I wanted to insert.

Again: This really is a great feature, it would be great to have this working in the standart-edit-mode without eliminating the toolbar, it would even be nice to be able to trigger it with a toolbar button!

best regards
Jan

Jan

Apr 8, 2017, 4:32:31 PM4/8/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Salut Alain,
I am longing to use your the completition-feature of your editor for writing dialogues in scripts; I already made a new pattern for this.
Have you already figured out, why the Toolbar disappears?
At the moment I created a new Type called dialogue to use comptext...but also there it would be very practical to create an xtra toolbar for the roles actions and so on.

yours Jan

have you had the timme to figure out why the editor toolbar disappears when your Editor is switched on.

Alain Dutech

Apr 22, 2017, 5:28:49 PM4/22/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jan,

sorry for the delay. I just re-opened TW today with a,look at the new version (5.1.13).

I based my completion editor on the old "editor" module. So, if you use "comptext" (for link completion), you only have access to the old editor, without toolbar.

I will look at the new editor logic so as to adapt my plugin to the toolbar editor. But don't expect too much, the use of an <iframe> makes some computation harder...

Alain

Alain Dutech

Apr 27, 2017, 4:49:26 PM4/27/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jan (and others),

I have managed to have both the toolbar version and the "simple" version of the editor work with the completion popup. Now, I just need some time to clean all this and to find a way to offer a "nice" plugin for this new version.

A matter of days, I hope.

My main problem is to offer in a simple way BOTH the old plugin (compatible with TW 5.1.11) and the new version, compatible only with 5.1.13+ .

Alain

David Gifford

Apr 27, 2017, 4:51:44 PM4/27/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Can't wait to see it! This would be great if typing [[ activated it to show a list of tags or of tiddlers.

Dave

David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City

Alain Dutech

Apr 29, 2017, 10:33:33 AM4/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

a new version of the completion plugin is available at http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit

(code at https://github.com/snowgoon88/TW5-extendedit)

I've tested it rather quickly so, do not hesitate to point out bugs and weird things... The older version (compatible with TW5.0.08 - TW5.1.11) is still available at http://snowgoon88.github.io/TW5-extendedit/index_5.1.08.html

Well, see you in the street for the 1st of May :o)

Alain

David Gifford

Apr 29, 2017, 12:36:05 PM4/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thanks for your hard work on this.

I second those who have asked for two other features:

1) Compatibility with the editor toolbar
2) Results turn up any instance of the text entered after [[, not just from the beginning of the tiddler.

But by mentioning those items, I don't want to take away from the brilliance of what you have already done. A big help indeed. Thanks again.

Dave

Alain Dutech

Apr 29, 2017, 1:36:03 PM4/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Anwers in the text

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM, David Gifford <dgif...@crcna.org>
1) Compatibility with the editor toolbar

This is exactly what this new version is doing. At least it works for me : I have the toolbar editor and the "[[" completion in TW5.1.13.

2) Results turn up any instance of the text entered after [[, not just from the beginning of the tiddler.

As far as I understand it, this is also the case. If I have a tiddler titled "my Favorite One" and I type "[[Fav" the tiddler "My Favorite One" is suggested as completion.
But maybe I have not understood what you are asking for.

But by mentioning those items, I don't want to take away from the brilliance of what you have already done. A big help indeed. Thanks again.

Thx.

Alain

David Gifford

Apr 29, 2017, 3:02:06 PM4/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alain

Hmmm that's odd, when I tried it earlier after you mentioned it, it didn't show the EditorToolbar. Now it works perfectly.

And sure enough, I totally missed that it did the other bit I asked about.

You have no idea how much you have just improved my life...

Dave

Paolo Savio

Apr 29, 2017, 4:31:46 PM4/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks a lot Alain, great job, it works perfectly for me

Paolo

Alain Dutech

Apr 30, 2017, 10:15:08 AM4/30/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that from the both of you. Makes also my day :o)
Alain

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM, Paolo Savio <cocc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot Alain, great job, it works perfectly for me

Paolo

Jan

May 6, 2017, 3:53:13 PM5/6/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Salut Alain,
wonderful that we now can have both. It is a great enhancement that you did for TW.
One last wish: Can you make it possible to use the linebreak or doublelinebreak as a pattern...And to insert linebreaks in the completition.
I had difficulties to insert this into your config Tiddler.

Again: Thanks for this great work
Jan

Jan