Improved references in TiddlyRemember flashcards

Soren Bjornstad

Aug 2, 2020, 12:29:34 PM8/2/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

In the follow-up around the web to the release of TiddlyRemember, some people took issue with the approach of putting questions in macro calls, wishing instead questions could be placed in individual tiddlers. Well, it turns out this was actually possible the whole time and neither I nor anyone asking ever thought of it! All you have to do is create a sort of "aggregation" tiddler with a list snippet like this:

<$list filter="[tag[TiddlyRememberNote]]">
  <$macrocall $name=rememberq id={{!!created}} question={{!!question}} answer={{!!answer}}/>
</$list>

Then you just create tiddlers with question and answer fields tagged with TiddlyRememberNote, and all the questions will show up in this tiddler. Make sure that the filter pulling the tiddlers that should be searched to retrieve notes matches this tiddler, and you're set. Of course, this is just one example – any data you can retrieve with filters can be used to generate TiddlyRemember notes in the same fashion.

There's one issue with the version above: the reference on each Anki note would just point back to the aggregation tiddler, which isn't very useful. TiddlyRemember 1.1.0 (released today) now supports an optional fourth reference parameter to the macro, which causes the reference to point back to a specified tiddler instead of the tiddler the macro call is found in. In the example above, we could say reference={{!!title}} and the references would then point back to the actual question tiddler instead.

This can also be used to fix a problem that occasionally arose in the previous version, where if you needed to transclude a tiddler containing TiddlyRemember questions into another tiddler, the source would randomly oscillate between the two since either one looked like it contained the question!\

si

Sep 9, 2020, 11:54:53 AM9/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Just seen this - very nice I will use this method. Thanks for creating and sharing TiddlyRemember!

Mark S.

Sep 11, 2020, 1:28:47 PM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
There doesn't seem to be any content at either of these two links.
Thanks!

soren.b...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2020, 8:07:47 PM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

The links in my original post and in si's reply work, but in the quoted portion of your message, the %20's are replaced with +'s. I'm guessing there's a bug either in the new Google Groups or in your mail client (not sure how you're reading). If you can't figure out what's going on, try just replacing + with %20 in the address bar once you click the link.

si

Nov 9, 2020, 8:01:18 AM11/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Soren et al.

I've been playing around with the dynannotate plugin recently and in my opinion it combines really nicely with TiddlyRemember so I thought I'd share.

You can highlight text then attach flashcards directly to that bit of highlighted text. See this gif for an illustration:

You can get the dynannotate plugin from the official library.

Si
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted