Need opinions on adding proper attribution statements in publicly shared TiddlyWikis

CJ Veniot

Jul 12, 2020, 1:02:52 AM7/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
G'day all,

I'm just wondering if what I've done is good enough, or if I need to do some more to cover all the bases (whatever those bases are!)

I'm kind of like a fish out of water here.  A tiddler out of water !

Much appreciated !

clutterstack

Jul 12, 2020, 1:29:03 PM7/12/20
to TiddlyWiki

Hi CJ,

Do you mean the info in the bottom corner and under the "Licences" link? It looks good to me in the sense that it highlights (even advertises) TiddlyWiki and the Relink plugin as someone else's work, and provides copies of their own licenses.

I worry a bit that if users paste static text re: links and licenses, it may become onerous to keep up to date; a license tab in any plugin seems a good solution to me, but not all plugins have them. I think this type of thing must have come up before, but I am convinced Google intends to kill Groups by attrition through neglect and terrible search.

Given that this document is specifically about incorporating the work of others into a working document, it's very nice that you go to so much work over the attributions.

I think it would be beneficial to have a standard way (through the plugin mechanism) to clearly advertise TiddlyWiki and the great plugins people find useful. I'd be interested to see whether the big fish here have something to say.

Cheers,
Chris

Florian

Jul 12, 2020, 11:14:23 PM7/12/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi CJ,

I am currently trying to accomplish something similar, although you're
already more advanced in your progression. I am by no means an subject
matter expert, just a few thoughts on your setup.

I really like the idea of systematically providing attribution. Although
there are some great examples in the wild my feeling is that proper
licensing and attribution could still be facilitated by establishing
best practices. Whats more, I guess in an environment where copying
content is as easy as drag-and-drop, some more advanced source tracking
(as well as author and license) could also be integrated in the core.

I think a good separation between content and code in own public
TiddlyWikis might be such a best practice, because this allows to
separately use content licenses (e. g. CC BY-*) and code licenses (e. g.
BSD style licenses) appropriately. CC BY-* licenses should not be used
for source code, so I would include a permissive software license to
your standard setup as well that applies to all custom code (maybe
BSD-3-Clause because that's what TW core uses). (An alternative, of
course, would be to use the CC0 1.0 license for both, content and code
or some other software license with a statement on what constitutes
source code.) In case you do add a software license, maybe also be more
specific about what is licensed as CC BY 4.0, i. e. "this wiki's
content" (not just "this work").

I also like the version notice, which makes it easy to recognize
outdated offline copies.

You probably don't need the copyright symbol (as in "©TiddlyWiki")
because it has no legal effect (see [1]), also it is usually followed by
the year of first publication and the author's name---not the name of
the work (TiddlyWiki). I would omit it as it just might spark confusion.

I agree with Chris that adding a license notice as you did might be a
great *addition* to including the license text for each individually
licensed component (such as plugins).

Regards,
Florian

Links
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_symbol

Florian

Jul 12, 2020, 11:28:20 PM7/12/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Also, there's a relevant GitHub issue here:
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1890

CJ Veniot

Jul 12, 2020, 11:29:27 PM7/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
G'day and thanks, Chris,

Although it isn't rocket science, I can't pretend I really have much of a clue how to go about beyond-proper attributions.

I do find it all really interesting, though, and I really like giving credit for the good stuff (which I use and very much appreciate) created by right good folk.

You guys keep the TiddlyWiki universe shining bright !