[Plugin] Daily Notes - Interstitial Journaling plugin TiddilyWiki

Tony K

May 9, 2020, 5:12:29 PM5/9/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Plug in update to v0.0.33
Change log for this version mainly timezone bugfixes  https://github.com/akhater/Daily-Notes-for-TW5/releases/tag/v0.0.33

v0.0.30 - 2020-06-04

  • Splitting code to multiple tiddlers
  • Adding parsedate widget
  • Standardizing entry times by timestamp
  • You can now change the format by editing $:/ak/plugins/DailyNotes/dateformat
  • Enhanced tasks handling
  • all pending tasks now show in a dedicated tab
  • Fixed bug of icon being shown always selected

Test it and download it on Drift or get it from Github
------------
Bringing, yet another, Roam functionality into TW5 I wrote this litter plugin called Daily Notes, it is still in early development but good enough, I think, to be released

You can read more about interstitial journaling at https://nesslabs.com/interstitial-journaling
Features
  • Keyboard shortcut (Alt+Q) by default
  • Can "expand" on an idea (outline style) by clicking on the plus
  • Can easily delete an entry
Test it and download it on Drift or get it from Github

selfire

May 9, 2020, 5:50:42 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
This looks amazing, thank you!

Birthe C

May 9, 2020, 6:13:42 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony K,

Looks nice and works very well and quick. But I wonder how to use drift on small screen. All is well except how would you search?

Birthe

Tony K

May 9, 2020, 6:32:31 PM5/9/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Birthe

I use Drift from my mobile phone all the time however you made me realize 2 things
  1. I had the search bar toggle hidden on the published version, it can be enabled from the control panel but I updated the template published, both demo and empty, please try it now
  2. I didn't think of the mobile phone for Daily Notes.... not because of the small screen but rather the keyboard shortcut I need to find a solution for that

thank you

Tony K

May 9, 2020, 6:32:58 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
thank you :)

Birthe C

May 9, 2020, 6:58:56 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony K,

Thank you! Works now. Drift is really getting better and better and so easy on the eye.

Birthe

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 6:01:07 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
glad you liked it Brithe and thanks for testing it

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 6:01:33 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Point 2 addressed in the latest update v0.0.6 check original thread for more info

Saq Imtiaz

May 10, 2020, 6:46:26 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

Happy to see you innovating and contributing to the community.

Perhaps you could also outline for us how your implementation differs from that posted by Scott Kingery:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/qREJzyP_zCY

Also, have you considered that for the described purpose, one tiddler per entry might be overkill and lead to clutter?
Look forward to what you come up with next.

Regards,
Saq

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 11:12:29 PM UTC+2, Tony K wrote:
Plug in update to v0.0.6

This update changelog

v0.0.6 - 2020-05-10

  • Added a way to see older Daily Notes

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 8:55:44 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Saq

thank you for your kind words and your help in all the threads

to reply to your questions

Re difference with Scott's implementation:
I had already started with mine when I found Scott's thread so I just continued with it. However, at this point,
  • Daily Notes is a plugin that anyone can install on his TW, as far as I know Scott's isn't packaged
  • Faster input, no need to click buttons, just write and press enter
  • Option to "expand" on an entry by assigning to it it's own tiddler (+ sign)
  • Option to delete a single entry (delete sign)
  • Option to Edit an entry (in progress)
  • Keyboard shortcut: Alt +Q by default

Re One Tiddler per entry:
  • It is not one Tiddler per entry, by default all entries are in one tiddler with today's date. however if you want to "expand" on an entry you can just click the + sign and a new tiddler will be created for it linking back to the source entry (day and time)
e.g. You capture on the move "Think about inline Edit for Daily Notes" and then I can expand on this idea to it's own tiddler where I can brainstrom on how I want to accomplish this feature

I hope it makes sense

Saq Imtiaz

May 10, 2020, 9:25:47 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that comparison, I think people will find that useful.

A few other thoughts for potential improvements:
  • You really need a separate affordance to be able to open that interface other than the keyboard shortcut. I first opened this on my phone and had no idea where to go.

  • My confusion as to where the data was stored is because when I open the tidder for the day's date, it is an illegible mess. Suppose I want to fix a typo? How do I do that when I can't understand what is going on? Part of the appeal of TW is having your data in an easily accessible plain text format, but the raw content of that tiddler is not very accessible.

    I recommend finding an alternate way to do things so that you don't have to mix code and data in the tiddler for a day's data.
    A custom view template may be helpful here, so you move the logic of the buttons etc to the template.

  • If I click to expand an entry and update it, those changes are no longer reflected back in today's tiddler.
    At the very least, there should be a way to see from that overview which item has an expanded tiddler, and which one doesn't. (It could be as simple as different classes on the icons)

  • Visually: maybe get the delete icons right-aligned and only visible when you hover over an entry.

  • Also, the select dropdown seems obtrusively large and oddly placed. Maybe move that up above the text input area? It could even replace the title (day's date) that is displayed at the top.
Love what you have been up to and I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Regards,
Saq

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 9:34:22 AM5/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello again

thank you for the detailed feedback,
You really need a separate affordance to be able to open that interface other than the keyboard shortcut. I first opened this on my phone and had no idea where to go.

This was fixed in the latest version, you just need to create a tiddler with  content
 {{$:/ak/plugins/DailyNotes/ui/capture}}

My confusion as to where the data was stored is because when I open the tidder for the day's date, it is an illegible mess. Suppose I want to fix a typo? How do I do that when I can't understand what is going on? Part of the appeal of TW is having your data in an easily accessible plain text format, but the raw content of that tiddler is not very accessible.

Totally understandable. Main issue is that I don't know how to send a CRLF by code.... I tried but failed so if you can she any lights on this I'd be grateful. and that is another reason why I am doing an "edit inline" feature . unfortunately a custom view template is way too advanced for me I don't even know were to begin

If I click to expand an entry and update it, those changes are no longer reflected back in today's tiddler.
At the very least, there should be a way to see from that overview which item has an expanded tiddler, and which one doesn't. (It could be as simple as different classes on the icons)

Fair point, added to the todo list.

 Visually: maybe get the delete icons right-aligned and only visible when you hover over an entry.

Thank you for that, I will try and figure out how can I make it appear only on hover

  • Also, the select dropdown seems obtrusively large and oddly placed. Maybe move that up above the text input area? It could even replace the title (day's date) that is displayed at the top.
I suck big time and everything design related :) point noted and will work on it for the next version (or the one after)

thanks again for the help and feedback

Birthe C

May 10, 2020, 10:07:13 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM,

Why not have a button to navigate to that tiddler?

<$button>
<$action-navigate $to="$:/ak/plugins/DailyNotes/ui/capture"/>
Navigate to ~DailyNotes
</$button>

Birthe

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 11:48:43 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Brithe

A button / a simple transclusion(like suggested in the readme file) or even a tag to put it in the sidebar all 3 would do the trick

My main issue is that, whatever I package inside the plugin will be considered a shadow tiddler and won't be shown to the user that's why I suggested the transclusion approach

Tony K

May 10, 2020, 6:17:34 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
This update is for you :)
  1. Cleaner Tiddler, you can now easily edit manually
  2. Icon changes if the entry has a tiddler associated with it or not
  3. Delete icon only shows on hover (didn't know how to align it to the right lol )
  4. sorry didn't know how to change visually the drop down menu if you have any suggestions I am all ears
Cheers
Message has been deleted

Tony K

May 11, 2020, 1:28:19 PM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thread bump. updated to v0.0.15 that brings inline editing :) :) :)

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 12:12:29 AM UTC+3, Tony K wrote:
Plug in update to v0.0.15
This update bring inline editing to the table... you can now edit / delete your entries from one place

Tony K

May 13, 2020, 4:19:44 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Your wish is my command

button added in the latest update, check original post for details  please

Scott Kingery

May 15, 2020, 1:57:48 PM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tony K, this looks interesting! I haven't been around the forum much lately and I've been working on a 2.0 of mine and possibly changing to writing to individual tiddlers but I may decide to scrap it all and just use this. Hope to have more time to check it out over the weekend. Thanks for posting.

Tony K

May 16, 2020, 1:58:58 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Scott

thanks for your kind words, I am highly interested to get your feedback and to see how we can improve it

Cheers

Tony K

May 16, 2020, 2:00:28 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thread bump, now DailyNotes supports todo items, add one by simply adding /todo in the input box together with your entry

e.g
/todo something not to forgot

or
something not to forget /todo

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 12:12:29 AM UTC+3, Tony K wrote:
Plug in update to v0.0.20

I've been wanting do add this for a while, now you can have todo items in your list by simply entering /todo in the input box together with your note

v0.0.20 - 2020-05-16

  • Added support for simple Todo items by writing /todo command to the input box

Riz

May 17, 2020, 10:22:52 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, links to demo seems dead?

Tony K

May 17, 2020, 11:53:27 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
fixed
thanks for letting me know

Anjar

May 28, 2020, 5:14:48 PM5/28/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Very nice plugin, Tony! Just wanted to share this simple macro for listing all the entries containing the word "filterword"

\define listNotes(txt:"")
<$list filter="[!title{!!title}tag[DailyNotes]search:text[$txt$]reverse[]]" >

!! {{!!title}}
<$list filter="[title<currentTiddler>get[text]splitregexp[<br />]regexp[(?i)$txt$]join[<br />]]"  variable=note>
<<note>>
</$list>
</$list>
\end

<<listNotes "">>

Best,
Anders

Tony K

Jun 4, 2020, 6:29:06 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Anjar

I am really enjoying your suggestion on my plugins and thanks for that.

can you please share a case scenario for this suggestion please ?

Tony K

Jun 4, 2020, 6:30:13 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
thread bump for new version

2 new shiny things
1. date format can now be changed
2. better task handling with a dedicated tab for pending tasks so a very basic and simple todo

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 12:12:29 AM UTC+3, Tony K wrote:
Plug in update to v0.0.30
Change log for this version

Anjar

Jun 4, 2020, 6:54:37 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
I feel like a spoiled child throwing out requests:) But it's incredibly nice how you and other plugin developers interact with the community - it's gold!

In this case I was thinking about tagging my entries; say #projectA, #projectB; and then list entries by day in the corresponding projects with that macro (which s too simple, in a perfect world it would also support the todo elements). Then I have one single place to empty my brain and also a single tiddler summarising my day and the possibility to extract only project entries, which is perfect for me:)

Best,
Anders

Tony K

Jun 4, 2020, 6:59:51 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the reply

let me make sure I understood correctly

today you already can add #ProjectX before and entry right ? so you would want to get a way to list (for example) all entries for #projectA ?? did i get it right?

for todo I started added todo on the previous version and just enhanced it in this one. give /todo a test and tell me how it goes

Cheers

Anjar

Jun 4, 2020, 10:00:00 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

Yes, that's right. The macro I used as example already filters for the hashtags, but does not render /todo as checkboxes, but I guess there is a template for that? Another example can be extracting external links (I often use the DailynNote for simple bookmarking), with http;

\define listNotes(txt:"")
<$list filter="[!title{!!title}tag[DailyNotes]search:text[$txt$]reverse[]]" >

!! {{!!title}}
<$list filter="[title<currentTiddler>get[text]splitregexp[<br />]regexp[(?i)$txt$]join[<br />]]"  variable=note>
<<note>>
</$list>
</$list>
\end

<<listNotes "http">>

Best,
Anders

Tim Lockridge

Jun 4, 2020, 11:13:34 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, Tony. Thanks so much for this plugin. I'm a new TW user, and DailyNotes is quite impressive and useful.

After heavily using DailyNotes for a few days, I'm acquiring a lot of temporary tiddlers. I think they're from the inline editing of Daily Note entries. They're all prefixed with $:/temp/DN-editEntry or $:/temp/DN-state

Is there a way to purge these? I'm worried about how many I'll accumulate over months of use.

Thanks!
Tim

Tony K

Jun 4, 2020, 12:06:06 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tim

Thanks for your kind words

Nothing to worry about

1. Temp tiddlers are deleted every refresh
2. You won't accumulate, they are the same tiddlers overwritten. Meaning it won't create one per every time you use or so

Glad you like it

john roland

Jun 4, 2020, 12:32:56 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony, I’ll add my voice to the chorus of thanks - I’m getting a lot of great use out of Drift and related plugins.

The new update to DailyNotes has left me with an edit button above the capture box that shows yesterday’s date and when clicked takes me to a tiddler named after today’s date, but not using the date format setup, instead formatted as YYYYmmdd.

Are you aware of a way to quickly remedy by any chance?

Thanks again!

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 3:04:14 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello John

thank you for the kind words

I am not sure I understood quite well what you mean, I would appreciate if you could share a screenshot

this being said (and I am not sure if that what you mean) I did change the name of the tiddler in this version to accomodate for custom date formats

the tiddler itself will have the format YYYY0MM0DD however the displayed format on the main tiddler (called but alt+q) will show in the format you want

I hope it helps

Tim Lockridge

Jun 5, 2020, 8:39:45 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am seeing the same thing as John. The date in the h2 of $:/ak/plugins/DailyNotes/ui/capture is a day behind. When I press the edit button next to that date, it takes me to the tiddler with the correct date. I've attached a screenshot of the two.
drift-date-screenshot.jpg

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 9:09:12 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Tim

that's really weird I don't have this behavior on any of my installations (3 of them)

the dates are parsed from the UTC timestamp so, my best guess at the moment, that it is related to the time zone ???

any chance you can attach a cleansed copy of your TW file so i can take a closer look ?

Tim Lockridge

Jun 5, 2020, 9:18:04 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
My screenshot was from the blank template file at https://github.com/akhater/akhater.github.io/blob/master/drift/drift.empty.html

If I download that blank file and put into TiddlyDesktop right now, it shows a date of 2020-06-04, which is yesterday for me. If it helps, I'm in U.S. Eastern Time Zone (UTC -4), in case it's a time zone bug.

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 9:21:37 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
yes Tim I just changed my timezone and I found the bug...

I will fix it it is easy to crash thanks for pointing that out

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 9:29:33 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Tim @John

please try the attached file and let me know if it fixes the issue before publishing it

thank you
$__ak_plugins_DailyNotes.json

Tim Lockridge

Jun 5, 2020, 9:41:08 AM6/5/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tony! That fixed the problem with the h2 for me, but I’m still seeing a similar issue with the Previous Entries select menu. Is it possible that menu has the same bug?

<$__ak_plugins_DailyNotes.json>

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 9:49:59 AM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
yes sure is

this one is a bit tricker to solve....

let me figure it out

thanks for your patience
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

john roland

Jun 5, 2020, 5:17:58 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Tony. Confirming the downloaded file fixed the header for me too. In case it's helpful, while troubleshooting this morning and before I saw you had posted a fix, I added [UTC] in front of the dateformat and that fixed both the header and the prev. entries drop-down for me.

Thanks again,

John

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 5:35:20 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello John

thank you for the input highly appreciated

yes a UTC in the date format will solve it but that means your dates will all be UTC time I should be releasing a test fix in the coming hours and I would appreciate yoru feedback

all the best

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 6:08:03 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
oh second thought you might be right... I might have over complicated the problem ....

Tony K

Jun 5, 2020, 6:35:01 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
ok version v0.0.33 is now out and should solve the timezone issues please give it a try and let me know

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 12:12:29 AM UTC+3, Tony K wrote:
Plug in update to v0.0.33
Change log for this version mainly timezone bugfixes  https://github.com/akhater/Daily-Notes-for-TW5/releases/tag/v0.0.33

john roland

Jun 5, 2020, 11:59:57 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Seems to do the trick - thanks!

Manish Mohandas

Jan 21, 2021, 11:55:56 AM1/21/21
to TiddlyWiki
Dear all
When I click on the Daily Notes button, the header of the tiddler appears as $:/ak/plugins/DailyNotes/ui/capture . Is it possible to render this as 'Daily Notes'.
Thanks
Manish

Crosby

Apr 10, 2021, 1:02:55 PM4/10/21
to TiddlyWiki
Tony, thank you for this plugin! Really find it useful in my wiki. I have a question. I'm using the server version of TW, and use some iOS Shortcuts to manipulate tiddlers using API calls. I have a working shortcut to append text to a tiddler, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to generate the date & time stamp in Shortcuts to match the one your plugin generates. I'm wondering if you could help me parse out the contents of a daily note entry, which appears as follows if I edit today's daily note:

''<<dn-ts 20210410164511763>>''~Journal Entry <br />

The first part of the date makes sense given today's date, but I'm not clear on where "164511763" comes from. Is it a UTC time format? Any help would be much appreciated!