Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Josiah

no leída,
6 mar 2017, 9:45:266/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Just a simple observation ...

In the several months now I have been @TiddlyTweeter the single most repeated interest in TiddlyWiki by end-users has come from GAMERS.

Gamers find it excellent for planning game campaigns. Its flexibility matches their needs well.

I strongly suspect that IF more serious gamers knew of TiddlyWiki it could gain thousands more users.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 7:42:1710/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Have pause for thought for End Users ...

1 - TiddlyWiki looks great ...

2 - How do I Save It?

A: Use Firefox and add on the TiddlyFox extension

3 - I'm having problems with Firefox

A: Try using Firefox Developer

4 - Firefox Developer looks great!

5 - I tried installing TiddlyFox v2 but it tells me its not verified

A: Hack Firefox Developer via about: config to allows unsigned extensions

6: What?

Lost Admin

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 8:32:3810/3/17
a TiddlyWiki

A(2) - TiddlyChrome works okay too.

PMario

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 9:01:4810/3/17
a tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 1:42:17 PM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Have pause for thought for End Users ...

1 - TiddlyWiki looks great ...

2 - How do I Save It?

A: Just click the save button. The browser will save the file, with the same mechanism you download an image. It can be found in the browsers download section.
or
If you want to overwrite an existing file, you'll need to install TiddlyFox Extension. It works fine with FF 52. We will need to update the addOn in the near future. A new version is in the works.

3 - I'm having problems with Firefox

A: Try using Firefox Developer

Remark: Not needed at the moment. ... It just confuses newbees.

Existing TiddlyFox Extension works fine with FF 52. See above.

4 - Firefox Developer looks great!

5 - I tried installing TiddlyFox v2 but it tells me its not verified

A: Hack Firefox Developer via about: config to allows unsigned extensions

Only needed till Mozilla verifies it. See A2

@Jeremy .. Did you get any feedback from them?

--------------

It's easy to make something look complicated, if you want to.

Downloading and saving TiddlyWiki is 100% exactly the same, as if you download an image or file from the web. Every user knows, how this works.

It's the browsers, that add (1)(2)(..) to existing files.

TiddlyFox just offers a solution to work around this problem. It's _not_ caused by TiddlyWiki.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 9:02:1110/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Good point, but trying in the Chrome Web Store ...

"Your search for "TiddlyChrome" did not match any items"

Looking at: https://github.com/Arlen22/tiddly-chrome-app/releases

The suggested drag & drop method doesn't work either for me in Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87

Best wishes
Josiah

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 7:42:17 AM UTC-5, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Have pause for thought for End Users ...

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 9:24:3410/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

The fallback saving mechanism of save(1), save(2) etc is not really viable for long term use. Its too cumbersome. Its also confusing for new users. Saving a TW is NOT the same as downloading an image. It needs to be re-entrant.

You are absolutely right about the latest V1 TiddlyFox still working. The V2 is neater, but harder to set up till verified.

Elsewhere I asked Jeremy why V1 is still marked as "experimental". He pointed out to me the hassle that Mozilla put developers through if they go further. Nonetheless naive users will see "experimental" add-ons differently that green ones.

I agree this is NOT any fault of TW.

But the difficulties are growing with download file save. I think that is a fact.

What happens at Firefox 57?

Best wishes
Josiah

PMario

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 10:51:0610/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 3:24:34 PM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

But the difficulties are growing with download file save. I think that is a fact.

What happens at Firefox 57?

Right. .... But the good point is, that FF 52 (active now) is an Extended Support Release (ESR), which will be good till March/April 2018, which is FF 60.
ESR releases get security updates for a much longer time, than standard releases.

If a user wants to have both, it's still possible to run FireFox ESR52 and the developer edition at the same time. Their profiles are completely separated. So they don't influence each other.

I think, there is no reason rush.

There are some really interesting projects going on at the moment. I have the feeling, that some of them will work extraordinary well with TiddlyWiki.

have fun!
mario

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 11:55:3010/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mario

That is good news. BUT who will it help to know that apart from me and others here?

My point in these posts is about End Users who are very likely NOT reading here.

I am trying to keep some sense of how TW looks from the "outside", at a users start point. To a beginner. Could they know this?

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 15:04:1310/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
Update on Chrome add-on. I got it to install eventually. I don't know if I could replicate how I did it. I tried a bunch of ways before it installed.

Unfortunately it does NOT save. It shows "Saved wiki". But if you reload after "saved" changes they have NOT been written to the file in my Chrome 56.0.2924.87.

Josiah

On Friday, 10 March 2017 14:32:38 UTC+1, Lost Admin wrote:

Mat

no leída,
10 mar 2017, 15:09:3410/3/17
a TiddlyWiki
@Josiah

I am trying to keep some sense of how TW looks from the "outside", at a users start point. To a beginner.

IMO this is a very sane approach when evaluating software that needs to attract a larger user base.

Also computer savvy people are beginners when they first approach TW. And they expect saving without hassle. We know that those who accept some fuzz will be rewarded, but we're likely losing people along the way, including people who could have contributed to the TW project.

Keep it up Josiah :-)

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
28 abr 2017, 17:42:5228/4/17
a TiddlyWiki
{{DesignWriteStudio}}

This year has been stellar.

A so-called beginner made this trip navigator: https://sunypoly-toppinv.updog.co/project1.html#World%20Landmarks

And there was this great fun achievement on the "Madden Curse": https://sunypoly-marco.updog.co/project1.html#Calvin%20Johnson

Those were individual projects.

The collective effort on the "Vandendorpe Annotator", a testbed in hypertext programming devised by prof. Steve, are equally interesting.

Josiah

Arlen Beiler

no leída,
29 abr 2017, 17:19:0029/4/17
a TiddlyWiki
Hi TiddlyTweeter :),
I noticed your comment about being unable to save. I just want to verify that you are opening the app from the chrome apps page and not just opening the HTML file in a tab and clicking save. TiddlyChrome cannot save an HTML file opened in a tab.

You need to go to chrome://apps and open TiddlyChrome from there. It will then ask you what file you want to open. You can also create desktop shortcuts for chrome apps for it that you can drag a file on to and it will open the file.

Let me know if the problem persists and I can send you instructions for how to send me the info I need for debugging. Also, what was the version of the extension​ you installed?

Enjoy!
-Arlen

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
8 may 2017, 12:08:118/5/17
a TiddlyWiki
A very nice TW project presenting podcasts. Coming from tasks assigned by DesignWriteStudio . Authored by  veronique_t.

MashTalk Podcast

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
8 may 2017, 12:22:048/5/17
a TiddlyWiki
Ciao Arlen

I just noticed this. I'll go through the process again with afresh install following your tips & give you feedback over the next few days.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
11 may 2017, 10:30:5511/5/17
a TiddlyWiki
Ciao Arlen

MY BASICS

Install as follows ...

INTSTALLAGE STEPS

  1. Download TiddlyChromeApp.crx
  2. In Chrome navigate to chrome://extensions/
  3. Open Windows Explorer to drag and drop the crx into the extensions page.

It installed :-)

  • BUT when I click on this icon in the apps page the page closes???

I am unclear what to do next.

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

@TiddlyTweeter

no leída,
11 may 2017, 12:12:2611/5/17
a tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Arlen

Quickly after my last message I sorted myself out. I noticed that Chrome, on clicking on the TiddlyChrome in chrome://apps, opens a separate window and file finder and that is where you load the TW you need to have ability to save to. I now got it working and found I could pin the "app window" separately from the launching Chrome, such that it is independent of it.

Clicking on that pinned item AFTER I closed it, it again presents me with the file-finder. Is there anyway to have it always load a TW on start rather than have to use the file-finder everytime?

Its good to know there is more than one method around for file saving. I did find it a bit confusing to get running. I think that maybe a short video could help beginners better grasp how to do it?

Now I better understand how TiddlyChrome works I can see its a viable alternative to TiddlyFox.

Thanks for making it!

Best wishes
Josiah

Arlen Beiler

no leída,
11 may 2017, 15:31:2211/5/17
a TiddlyWiki
If you create a desktop shortcut you can drag a file on that shortcut and the app should open the file. You can also copy the shortcut, right-click and click properties, then append the file path to the "target" field. You may need to use absolute paths. Environment variables might work. You should be able to google that info.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM, @TiddlyTweeter <tiddly...@assays.tv> wrote:
Ciao Arlen

Quickly after my last message I sorted myself out. I noticed that Chrome, on clicking on the TiddlyChrome in chrome://apps, opens a separate window and file finder and that is where you load the TW you need to have ability to save to. I now got it working and found I could pin the "app window" separately from the launching Chrome, such that's independent of it.

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 16:30:55 UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Arlen

MY BASICS

Install as follows ...

INTSTALLAGE STEPS

  1. Download TiddlyChromeApp.crx
  2. In Chrome navigate to chrome://extensions/
  3. Open Windows Explorer to drag and drop the crx into the extensions page.

It installed :-)

  • BUT when I click on this icon in the apps page the page closes???

I am unclear what to do next.

Best wishes
Josiah

Responder a todos