EditTextWidget Contradiction?

Marc J. Cawood

Oct 13, 2016, 8:38:42 AM10/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
According to the tiddlywikie.com site's EditTextWidget Tiddler the `tiddler` field defaults to the current tiddler.
However it also says "One trap to be aware of is that the edit text widget cannot be used to edit a field of the tiddler that contains it."

So, why default to an unusable value? Or did I miss something.

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 13, 2016, 9:02:35 AM10/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc

According to the tiddlywikie.com site's EditTextWidget Tiddler the `tiddler` field defaults to the current tiddler.
However it also says "One trap to be aware of is that the edit text widget cannot be used to edit a field of the tiddler that contains it."

So, why default to an unusable value? Or did I miss something.

Consistency. Defaulting the “tiddler” attribute to the current tiddler is standard behaviour shared by most widgets.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Thomas Elmiger

Oct 13, 2016, 1:45:15 PM10/13/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc and Jeremy

There is one more thing that is not obvious at the beginning (or was not obvious to me at least), the concept of the current tiddler which I would translate as the tiddler currently beeing processed (e.g. in a list): “The current tiddler is […] often not the same as the tiddler that is being viewed or edited. ”

see http://tiddlywiki.com/#Current%20Tiddler

Kind regards
Thomas

Tobias Beer

Oct 13, 2016, 4:56:23 PM10/13/16
to TiddlyWiki
Marc,

Also note, that used in some list iteration,
<<currentTiddler>> points to the title being iterated,
so there it makes perfect sense for that widget to use that.

Best wishes,

Tobias.