Old tiddlywiki, won't save when edited locally

Eric Pavey

Oct 25, 2020, 9:41:24 PM10/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've been using the same tiddlywiki daily/weekly since 2007, on Tiddlyspot.  Now that Tiddlyspot vaporized, I've realized any changes I make to my backups won't save locally.  I'm using Chrome, and my tiddlywiki version is 2.7.  BTW, I tried to use the upgrade tools and it just mangles all my tiddler formatting, not that I'm doing anything special/custom at all in that area.

The error on Chrome/Win10 I get when I press the 'save' button is:

This page says
It's not possible to save changes. Possible reasons include:
- your browser doesn't support saving (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and opera all work if configured)
- the pathname to your TiddlyWiki file contains illegal characters
- thetiddlyWiki HTML has been moved or renamed.

Years ago, these same pages saved just fine locally.  The paths are fine :(file:///C:/Users/MyName/Documents/wikis/mywiki.html)

Boy do I miss Tiddlyspot:  Any ideas on what to do here to get these to save locally?  I've tried saving on Edge, save error.

Eric Pavey

Oct 25, 2020, 9:45:08 PM10/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
I just saw there is a tiddlywiki classic group. I'll move this conversation over there, but hey, I'll take help here too if anyone has it.

Alfonso Arciniega

Oct 25, 2020, 10:46:47 PM10/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Eric,

Try open a regular empty TiddlyWiki Classic (not a TiddlySpot version) and import your tiddlers from your current version into that one. Do not import the TiddlySpot plugins though, you won't need them. Use TiddlyDesktop locally, having both TiddlyWikis (yours and the empty one) in the same directory.

Download latest releases from TiddlyWiki Classic and TiddlyDesktop from:
https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki/releases/tag/v2.9.2
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop/releases/tag/v0.0.14

Cheers,

Alfonso

Eric Pavey

Oct 26, 2020, 11:19:34 PM10/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, that totally worked.... and funny enough is what I used to do, it's just been so long I'd forgotten how :P