TiddlyWiki File won't open

Mohit Patel

May 9, 2020, 12:17:56 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
I have been using TiddlyWiki since a couple of weeks. On desktop I have TW Desktop and Quine 2 on iOS. Today I tried to open the file and it simply wont show. It just shows a blank screen. I tried opening in TW desktop, on all browser and on Quine 2. Same. Just blank. Other blank file do load. Just the one I am actively using doesn't open. Thankfully there are backups, which do open. What could be the issue?

TonyM

May 9, 2020, 4:47:10 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohit,

Its not very common but a few things could be wrong, including a cosmic ray nocking an important byte out of place. Try an empty.html and try and import from your wiki file and see if you can access the tiddlers that way. Don't import system tiddlers unless you created/edited them.

You could open the html in an editor and check to see if it follows the same patterns as in a standard empty file. You can at least confirm the content looks like a tiddlywiki file.

Of course if you can share the wiki it may be easier.

Regards
Tony

Alfonso Arciniega

May 11, 2020, 12:28:43 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohit,

It happened to me a few times with TiddlyDesktop when I forgot to save my TW before closing TiddlyDesktop, on macOS. Always save your TW and wait a couple of seconds before closing the program, especially in old iMacs. This probably does not make sense but it happened, never knew why. I even ended stopping using TiddlyDesktop just to avoid making the same mistake again. I installed the new TiddlyDesktop v0.0.14 recently hoping that this issue won't happen again.

TonyM's recommendation usually works (import your TW into a new TW).

Alfonso

Mohit Patel

May 11, 2020, 12:42:38 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Tony. I transferred the wiki to Drift and all is good. (The original file is still not opening). Drift is great :)

Mohit Patel

May 11, 2020, 12:43:53 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Alfonso. Yes, looks like that. I just closed the laptop flap without saving I think. The transfer to new file worked and also had back up. Will have to be more careful about saving and waiting bit.

Mohit Patel

May 13, 2020, 1:20:19 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki

TW Issue.png

I keep getting this issue in TW desktop (Windows 10). I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times but this keeps happening. The app freezes. And whenever I open it, the screen appears as shown in the image.

TonyM

May 13, 2020, 1:57:59 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
I cant be sure of the cause,
  • Are you using the command line to launch TiddlyDesktop
  • What Operating system
  • Have you made changes in the backstage
  • Does it occur after to add a particular wiki to TiddlyDesktop
  • Did you use TiddlyDesktiop to create a wiki before this occurred?
  • Could you have broken it previously and there are files or registry entries left behinds that cause it to fail
Regards
Tony

Mohit Patel

May 13, 2020, 2:04:25 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
I open it from file explorer and clicking nw.exe. I have made no changes in the backstage. I think I might have broken it earlier and now even after uninstall and reinstall, the error persists. How should I clean uninstall? Operating system is windows 10.

Sylvain Naudin

May 13, 2020, 2:15:41 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le mercredi 13 mai 2020 08:04:25 UTC+2, Mohit Patel a écrit :
I open it from file explorer and clicking nw.exe. I have made no changes in the backstage. I think I might have broken it earlier and now even after uninstall and reinstall, the error persists. How should I clean uninstall? Operating system is windows 10.

This blank page reminds me of an old discussion, I think it may have happened before.

To reset TiddlyDesktop, you have to go to Backstage, and there is a button to the directory where the configuration is to clean up.

Sylvain

Mohit Patel

May 13, 2020, 2:20:38 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki