Google "tags" comments and questions -- #googleTags

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 6, 2019, 12:22:29 PM4/6/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
We done tags a bit now.

So i'll comment.

1 -- They are OPTIONAL on web, so under-used.

2 -- They are not on email. What PROPORTION of users are on email?

3 -- I can't see how you'd benefit in SEARCHES.

Is it worth it?

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 6, 2019, 1:05:45 PM4/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
repeat for email ...

S. S.

Apr 6, 2019, 1:41:54 PM4/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
I feel there is no harm using them. It takes months if not longer for their usefulness to become apparent. And if that doesn't happen, nothing lost. But if it does become useful, so much gained.

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 6, 2019, 2:21:42 PM4/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
S.S. I agree that using them does no harm, Its fine to go on trying a few months yet.

My Point was they are basically ineffectual.

Perhaps somebody can show otherwise later. Right now they mean little IMO.

But let us see.

I can wait on your proof :-).

Best wishes
Josiah

TonyM

Apr 6, 2019, 11:57:54 PM4/6/19
to TiddlyWiki
Just to add to this thread

Joshua is talking about tags on the Google Forum Posts (not in TiddlyWIki) but about tiddleywiki

Tony

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 7, 2019, 1:04:28 AM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Tony!

durr I'm silly! Totally confusing title to the post! I changed the title.

J.

S. S.

Apr 7, 2019, 6:07:32 AM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah,

Imagine if I had tagged this post: A quiet Date : with a tag like regex - I'm sure it would have caught your attention!

Cheers!

Birthe C

Apr 7, 2019, 7:15:34 AM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
S.S.

You have to select from the given list of tags we can use.

Birthe

Mohammad

Apr 7, 2019, 9:30:32 AM4/7/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Birthe

You can ask Jeremy to add more tags!

--Mohammad

S. S.

Apr 7, 2019, 10:28:35 AM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki

Birthe,

Yes, you are spot on! And of course regex is not one of the tags.
Knowing which are the right tags to choose - that lead to finding topics that address the issue you are interested in - is not easy.

The tags allow a filter to show only those posts.

For example, how can we know how useful the following tags really are?
  • newbie : Who would want to see all "newbie" topics and what would they expect to find there?
  • question : I guess 90% of topics are questions - still this is useful if it's solved and later accompanied by a tutorial tag
  • bug : Who wants to see the bugs? Probably just the ones that work on the core & thus on github issues - but still - this should be here as it is where people first want to post a bug to see if others also face it
  • widget wikitext filter macro  - all so broad - who is going to look for these IN GENERAL? Still, I am not saying they should be removed.
  • singlefile  - I guess this is in contrast to nodejs - still - so broad - I've rarely seen any posts concentrating on this
  • Some I feel are good tags are: tutorial css nodejs saving theme
  • Some that may have merit: template plugin  resource announcement
I imagine a personal scenario - what would interest me personally - for each visitor to the group posts this would be so different.

What topics come up a lot? tag tables images lists search bug tiddlyspot android
What tags would help me? tutorial documentation (yes I know there is a separate group for this, but not enough response there).
Let's see - the most popular widgets: $link $set $transclude $list $view $button $wikify $transclude
Filter Operators: sort
A tag asking for help in testing something new? What could this be called: test-help testers-needed ?
Tags that will help the program to grow by drawing interest: palettes themes plugins

Other useful tags: regex of course!!!

Enough for now!

Mark S.

Apr 7, 2019, 2:21:26 PM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
That would be an excellent tag. I feel the tags we're given are too vague.

The google search page doesn't give you any help by telling you what tags to use. The forum gets so little love from the big G., I can't help but wonder if some day they'll just add it to the other 150 disbanded projects.

-- Mark

barro...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2019, 11:31:31 PM4/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
I look at the tags when browsing the list of threads-- gives further definition or quick categorizing when the thread title is vague, mistitled or long and I assume nonregular or casual visitors to the group would also notice the tags.

Birthe C

Apr 8, 2019, 12:06:04 AM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Do you think the tags will help the nonregular or casual visitor to find an old thread about exactly the subject they are interested in when visiting?

Birthe

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 8, 2019, 4:54:39 AM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S. & S.S. & all,

Mark S. wrote:
That would be an excellent tag. I feel the tags we're given are too vague.

Right. If a tag is too broad you just revert back to the problem of overwhelm.

The google search page doesn't give you any help by telling you what tags to use.

Right. The issue isn't just assigning them---its how to use them to help filter. So how?

S. S. wrote:
Imagine if I had tagged this post: A quiet Date : with a tag like regex - I'm sure it would have caught your attention!

Right. Nice catch. "Regex" seems like a good tag in preciser scope!

My issue is I never see people's tags in normal reading mode. I can't tell visually if the post has a tag or not. You have filter by Tag button (top right), but then you don't see relevant untagged posts. And the filtered list you see can be very long. Its a mess :-)

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 8, 2019, 5:10:33 AM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Birthe,

No. I doubt it. I think for that you need someway to orientate what you are doing.

I may be wrong. But I can't see how its yet that helpful--other than a tag can reduce the number of posts you see. But many relevant posts you should see won't be visible.

So it can look efficient---but is actually somewhat misleading?

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 8, 2019, 6:27:36 AM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
S.S., many good points!

S. S. wrote:

Knowing which are the right tags to choose - that lead to finding topics that address the issue you are interested in - is not easy.
  • question : I guess 90% of topics are questions - still this is useful if it's solved and later accompanied by a tutorial tag
Right. But this is based on idea that an author will go back and revise.

The problem is that GG has no way to tag sub-posts individually--i.e. you can tag "question" (initiating post) but not separately tag a "solution" (sub-post).

I'm doubtful, in practice, most thread authors would recall to change the tag from "question" to "answered-q" and change their initial post to include a link to a good solution in the thread.

As it is, I often post forgetting to assign any tags--since they are voluntary and have to re-edit to add them.

Best wishes
Josiah

TonyM

Apr 8, 2019, 9:28:11 AM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
folks

First can I say I support the idea of tags and other curation however Can I remind everyone of a long standing practice in this forum that if you cant find an existing answer feel free to ask the question.

Sometimes question need to be asked agin because new answers are available.

Regards
tony