[plugin] TOC generic - shows toc,backlinks,list and listed up front

HC Haase

Jan 24, 2020, 6:04:55 AM1/24/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Version 2 is released. see latest post for announcement or the demo link below.

Inspired from this thread on bi-directional linking https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/LUVTps01UBU I polished a TOC solution I have made for my self.

Now it is a plugin that puts a toc, baclinks, list, and listed at the bottom of every tiddler but only if there is something to show.

This plugin adds the view template $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/TOCgeneric/.

at the bottom of tiddlers that has is tagging, has backlinks, list, is listed or any combination hereof, there will be shown

  •  a list of tagged (TOC), backlinks, list and listed
  •  a button to hide the lists
  •  a button to show the lists

The lists will ONLY appear if there is something in them. If you don't see e.g. the backlink list, it is because there are no backlinks to that tiddler. if you don't see the show the lists button, none of the lists are present.

Example:

It works nice, but I haven't yet considered other things like e.g. performance impact. this is a first edition.

thanks to Mohammad for help with filtering https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/tOeRa6973As

I hope you like it. please comment on use and tech.

Mohammad

Jan 24, 2020, 7:23:13 AM1/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
Congrat on your new plugin!

I did not followed the bidirectional linking! but your seems work great!

One comment:

When a Tiddler say myTid has no tagging, list, listing the upper arrow shown on click it disappears and on click on other tiddler down-arrow it appears
on myTid.

--Mohammad

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 2:34:55 PM UTC+3:30, HC Haase wrote:
Inspired from this thread on bi-directional linking https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/LUVTps01UBU I polished a TOC solution I have made for my self.

HC Haase

Jan 24, 2020, 9:31:34 AM1/24/20
to TiddlyWiki

fredag den 24. januar 2020 kl. 13.23.13 UTC+1 skrev Mohammad:
Congrat on your new plugin!

I did not followed the bidirectional linking! but your seems work great!

One comment:

When a Tiddler say myTid has no tagging, list, listing the upper arrow shown on click it disappears and on click on other tiddler down-arrow it appears
on myTid.

ah I see I forgot a filter for the hide button also. thanks I will correct soon.

Mark S.

Jan 24, 2020, 11:03:34 AM1/24/20
to TiddlyWiki
under Navigation - Tables of contents and outliners

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 3:04:55 AM UTC-8, HC Haase wrote:
Inspired from this thread on bi-directional linking https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/LUVTps01UBU I polished a TOC solution I have made for my self.

HC Haase

Jan 27, 2020, 3:44:00 AM1/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Announcement: TOC Generic
Date: 2020/01/27
Release: 1.1.0

Now there is an option to change the buttons icons.

@Mohammad: thanks, I have fixed it now

@ Mark s: thanks. Can you please call the plugin TOC generic? And description: Adds extended TOC/backlinks/lists to the button of tiddlers, only where applicable.

2020/01/27
  • [Fix] the hide button no longer appear on tiddlers with nothing to show.
  • [New] option to change icon/text of buttons in the readme.

Off topic: This is a lazy way of publishing. As this is a small project I just put it here on the forum and I am to lazy to make a demo page. I think the screenshot and description show enough. But is this horrible? Do you feel more reluctant to try the plugin or is it good enough? Just wondering.
$__plugins_HCHaase_TOCgeneric.json

Mohammad

Jan 27, 2020, 5:08:26 AM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Good improvement!

 I checked this with https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/
In HelloThere tiddler I see
6 Tagged with HelloThere

Why HelloThere is missing here?

--Mohammad

Mohammad

Jan 27, 2020, 5:13:17 AM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Very efficient in bidirectional linking!

Thank you for sharing!

Best

HC Haase

Jan 27, 2020, 5:47:39 AM1/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

 I checked this with https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/
In HelloThere tiddler I see
6 Tagged with HelloThere

Why HelloThere is missing here?

Ah- thanks. This is due to my bad design choice. The title of the current tiddler was set to cursive in order to highlight it. So with  cammelCase the links looks like it is missing. I didn't think of that.  I have changed this to bold instead.

Announcement: TOC Generic
Date: 2020/01/27
Release: 1.1.1

2020/01/27
  • [Fix] styling of TOC headings. Set to bold so cammelCase won’t show false non-existing link.
  • [Update] readme

Road map

At some point I want to

  • Add an exclude-filter (e.g. exclude advanced search)
  • Make the show/hide option tiddler specific (maybe) ??? Does anyone have an idea of the best way to do this? If I do it with a field in each tiddler, the modify-date will constantly change and that's not good.
$__plugins_HCHaase_TOCgeneric.json

Eskha

Jan 27, 2020, 11:08:56 AM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,
  • Make the show/hide option tiddler specific (maybe) ??? Does anyone have an idea of the best way to do this? If I do it with a field in each tiddler, the modify-date will constantly change and that's not good.
An idea for the tiddler specific option you may store it in tiddlers named "$:/config/HCHaase/TOCGeneric/Visibility/TiddlerName".
(Page Controls buttons visibility are stored that way).

The drawback is that if you rename the tiddler, you will lost the option value.

Best regards,

Eskha

Mohammad

Jan 27, 2020, 11:34:38 AM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
What if the Relink plugin is used here?

Best regards,

Eskha

Damon Pritchett

Jan 29, 2020, 10:51:52 PM1/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

I love your plugin. I think it's going to be very useful. I have a couple of questions. I noticed that when I close the lists at the bottom, the TW actually gets modified and the save button in the sidebar turns red. Might there be a way to not have this happen? Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a configuration setting such that the lists could either default closed or open.

Thanks for the hard work.

Damon

bimlas

Jan 30, 2020, 8:35:18 AM1/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
HC Haase

  • Make the show/hide option tiddler specific (maybe) ??? Does anyone have an idea of the best way to do this? If I do it with a field in each tiddler, the modify-date will constantly change and that's not good.

This might not be the best solution, but you could store a list of tiddlers for which the option is enabled in the "list" field of a single state tiddler. For example, in the "$:/config/HCHaase/TOCGeneric/Visibility" state tiddler's "list" field, only those tiddlers that have the option enabled or disabled would be included (which do not have the default value). This would solve the problem of renaming the tiddler because the "list" field is updated to the new title by Tiddly. Here's how to easily see the status of an option:

[[$:/config/HCHaase/TOCGeneric/Visibility]contains:list<currentTiddler>]

Damon Pritchett

Jan 30, 2020, 7:36:12 PM1/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello all,

I answered my own question and took the liberty of modifying the ViewTemplate to use the details widget instead of a reveal button. It will not open and close without modifying the TW. I've included the modified version. I was also able to position it exactly where I wanted to versus my other ViewTemplates and the comments by using the ViewTemplate tag pill to reorder things. I also thing I know how to make it such that only certain tiddlers will be affected. I haven't tried this, but I've done that with other ViewTemplates.

Damon
$__plugins_HCHaase_TOCgeneric_ViewTemplate.json

HC Haase

Jan 31, 2020, 3:49:22 AM1/31/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Announcement: TOC Generic
Date: 2020/01/31
Release: 1.2.0

I have made some major improvements and it is a lot nicer now I think. Have a look

2020/01/31
  • [New] new default hide/show icon is set to text and use the arrows used in the normal TOC to keep it consistent with TW (can be changed by user)
  • [New] big one: all "sub" headings (tags, backlinks, list and listed) can be folded/hidden by clicking on them
  • [New] the reveal status for the general hide/show and for the sub-lists are tiddler specific and remembered  (stored in a data tiddler)
  • [New] position in viewtemplate is set in the plugin viewtemplate by a list-after field.

2020/01/27
  • [Fix] the hide button no longer appear on tiddlers with nothing to show.
  • [New] option to change icon/text of buttons in the readme.

Road map

At some point I want to

  • Add an exclude-filter (e.g. exclude advanced search)

  • [DONE] Make the show/hide option tiddler specific (maybe) ??? Does anyone have an idea of the best way to do this? If I do it with a field in each tiddler, the modify-date will constantly change and that's not good.

$__plugins_HCHaase_TOCgeneric_1.2.json

HC Haase

Jan 31, 2020, 4:04:43 AM1/31/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bimlas. In the mean time i have solved it with a data tiddler. see new update

@Damon Pritchett

>I love your plugin. I think it's going to be very useful.

thanks

>I have a couple of questions. I noticed that when I close the lists at the bottom, the TW actually gets modified and the save button in the sidebar turns red. Might there be a way to not have this happen?

I am also wondering how to avoid that

>Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a configuration setting such that the lists could either default closed or open.

I guess so, but with the new update, the status is remembered sperately for every tiddler. Do that maybe sovle your issue?

>I answered my own question and took the liberty of modifying the ViewTemplate to use the details widget instead of a reveal button. It will not open and close without modifying the TW. I've included the modified version.

be my guest. Hmm I don know the details widget. I will look into your mod soon. however take a look at the new release, where some sub headings can be colapsed, alot is updated.

>I was also able to position it exactly where I wanted to versus my other ViewTemplates and the comments by using the ViewTemplate tag pill to reorder things.

Great. Note, that the plugin now have a list-after field that position it after the text field. I dont know if this or the viewtemplate list wil take precedence.

>I also thing I know how to make it such that only certain tiddlers will be affected. I haven't tried this, but I've done that with other ViewTemplates.

this is fixed now with data tiddlers

David Gifford

Jan 31, 2020, 8:55:32 AM1/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
I hope you find a resting place for your plugin. The problem with uploading them as attachments in the group is that with every update I have to keep changing the link to the proper post in the thread. And that's if I happen to spot the update.

HC Haase

Jan 31, 2020, 9:28:53 AM1/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ah I didn't think of that. I will give it a site soon.

FYI, I always update the top post to the newest file.

HC Haase

Jan 31, 2020, 10:42:37 AM1/31/20
to TiddlyWiki

fredag den 31. januar 2020 kl. 14.55.32 UTC+1 skrev David Gifford:
I hope you find a resting place for your plugin. The problem with uploading them as attachments in the group is that with every update I have to keep changing the link to the proper post in the thread. And that's if I happen to spot the update.

now it has a home here:

The problem though is that it is more cumbersome to update that, than to post on the forum. I guess everything has a price :)

HC Haase

Feb 3, 2020, 5:13:34 AM2/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

fredag den 31. januar 2020 kl. 01.36.12 UTC+1 skrev Damon Pritchett:
Hello all,

I answered my own question and took the liberty of modifying the ViewTemplate to use the details widget instead of a reveal button. It will not open and close without modifying the TW. I've included the modified version. I

be my guest. Hmm I don know the details widget. I will look into your mod soon. however take a look at the new release, where some sub headings can be colapsed, alot is updated.

 I have had a look at the detail widget. This is a plugin and not part of the core tw. actually there is a detail widget from Thomas and from Mohammad in Shiraz.
If I had known about this plugin, it could have saved me a lot of time.

It works good with the  reveal details widget, however with thet solution I made, the open/closed status of the lists are remembered for each individual tiddler. That is not possible with the reveal details widget.

Mohammad

Feb 3, 2020, 5:56:50 AM2/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 1:43:34 PM UTC+3:30, HC Haase wrote:

fredag den 31. januar 2020 kl. 01.36.12 UTC+1 skrev Damon Pritchett:
Hello all,

I answered my own question and took the liberty of modifying the ViewTemplate to use the details widget instead of a reveal button. It will not open and close without modifying the TW. I've included the modified version. I

be my guest. Hmm I don know the details widget. I will look into your mod soon. however take a look at the new release, where some sub headings can be colapsed, alot is updated.

 I have had a look at the detail widget. This is a plugin and not part of the core tw. actually there is a detail widget from Thomas and from Mohammad in Shiraz.
If I had known about this plugin, it could have saved me a lot of time.

The details in Shiraz has a parameter state let you have a default open or closed status.

It works good with the reveal widget, however with thet solution I made, the open/closed status of the lists are remembered for each individual tiddler. That is not possible with the rveal widget.

HC Haase

Feb 3, 2020, 8:03:46 AM2/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

The details in Shiraz has a parameter state let you have a default open or closed status.

It works good with the reveal widget, however with thet solution I made, the open/closed status of the lists are remembered for each individual tiddler. That is not possible with the rveal widget.

Yes. That is good. My plugin however store the status in a data tiddler so the open/closed status is remembered for each individual tiddler.

e.g. you can open the toc for your overview tiddlers but close it for others where you don't want to see it when you open them.

But had I known this plugin before, I would have used that instead.

David Gifford

Feb 3, 2020, 9:34:30 AM2/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi HC

I added this link to the toolmap, in the links category, and the "Navigation - Tables of contents and outliners" category.

I think you will want to change the first line from "This plugin puts a table of contents, backlinks, list and listed at the button of every tiddler" to "at the bottom of every tiddler"

Eric Shulman

Feb 3, 2020, 10:37:00 AM2/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 2:13:34 AM UTC-8, HC Haase wrote:
It works good with the reveal widget, however with the solution I made, the open/closed status of the lists are remembered for each individual tiddler. That is not possible with the reveal widget.

The $reveal widget CAN be used with "state" values that are stored as indexes in a data tiddler.  The trick is to not actually use the "state" parameter, but instead, use the "default" parameter:
<$reveal default={{MyData##someindex}} type="match" text="open">

This works because, as per the documentation for $reveal:
defaultDefault value to use when the state tiddler is missing

Alternatively, you can use the "stateTitle" and "stateIndex" parameters:
<$reveal stateTitle="MyData" stateIndex="someindex" type="match" text="open">

Again, as per documentation for $reveal
stateTitleA title containing the state, without TextReference. Gets preferred over the state attribute
stateFieldfield name which is used to look for the state, if the attribute stateTitle is present
stateIndexAn index which is used to look for the state, if the attribute stateTitle is present

enjoy,
-e

HC Haase

Feb 4, 2020, 2:41:43 AM2/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for you guiding Eric.

yikse.. I mismatched the two widgets (too little coffee) sorry for the confusion.

what I meant was the exact opposite:

It works good with the reveal details widget, however with thet solution I made, the open/closed status of the lists are remembered for each individual tiddler. That is not possible with the reveal details widget.

I do use the reveal widget but with "stateTitel" and "stateIndex" (see below). Is there a advantage by using "default" instead?

<$reveal type="match"  stateTitle="$:/plugins/HCHaase/TOCgeneric/state" stateIndex=<<currentTiddler>> text="show">

HC Haase

Feb 4, 2020, 9:28:55 AM2/4/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Announcement: TOC Generic
Date: 2020/02/04
Release: 1.2.8

Main news is the possibility to set default show/hide status for the different lists.

2020/02/04 - v. 1.2.8

  • [fix] bug that reversed toggles

2020/02/04 - v. 1.2.7

  • [New] Set default show/hide status of all lists. Note the default is overridden when status is changed in individual tiddler (by design).
  • [New] delete individual tiddler show/hide setting and set default instead
  • [FIX] tiddlers with colon: in title can now toggle the view of lists

2020/01/31 - v. 1.2.5

HC Haase

Feb 7, 2020, 7:17:31 AM2/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Announcement: TOC Generic
Date: 2020/02/07
Release: 1.2.9

As @Damon Pritchett requested, you can set the default show/hide for the different lists and changing list visibility show/hide will not trigger "red save wiki button".

Sorry for the Manny small updates. I am learning as I go here. In the process I think I have learned a lot about how to do wiki. But now I think the updates will slow down, there is not much more to change.

2020/02/06 - v. 1.2.9

  • [New] changing list visibility show/hide will not trigger "red save wiki button". The visibility state is now stored in state (json) tiddlers that do not make the wiki dirty, but will be saved on wiki save.

2020/02/04 - v. 1.2.8

  • [Fix] bug that reversed toggles

2020/02/04 - v. 1.2.7

    • [New] Set default show/hide status of all lists. Note the default is overridden when status is changed in individual tiddler (by design).
    • [New] delete individual tiddler show/hide setting and set default instead
    • [Fix] tiddlers with colon: in title can now toggle the view of lists

    ILYA Khlopotov

    Mar 19, 2020, 4:26:17 AM3/19/20
    to TiddlyWiki
    Hello,

    The plugin is great. One problem I noticed it is not compatible with comments plugin from standard library. Is there a quick hack I could use to be able to use both?

    Best regards,
    iilyak

    On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 3:04:55 AM UTC-8, HC Haase wrote:
    Inspired from this thread on bi-directional linking https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/LUVTps01UBU I polished a TOC solution I have made for my self.

    HC Haase

    Mar 23, 2020, 8:47:52 AM3/23/20
    to TiddlyWiki

    torsdag den 19. marts 2020 kl. 09.26.17 UTC+1 skrev ILYA Khlopotov:
    Hello,

    The plugin is great. One problem I noticed it is not compatible with comments plugin from standard library. Is there a quick hack I could use to be able to use both?

    How? I tried it with the comment plugin now, and it worked fine. However, the comment section shows above the TOC section. If this is what's bother you, then you can change this by finding  a tiddler tagged  with $:/tags/ViewTemplate (e.g. $:/plugins/HCHaase/TOCgeneric/ViewTemplate) press the tagpill $:/tags/ViewTemplate and drag and drop the tiddler $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/comments/footer-view-template-segment below the $:/plugins/HCHaase/TOCgeneric/ViewTemplate

    HC Haase

    May 7, 2020, 9:04:46 AM5/7/20
    to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
    Announcement: TOC Generic
    Date: 2020/05/07
    Release: 2.0.0

    I am pleased to release version 2 of the TOC generic plugin. In this version I have included the tranclusion of tiddler content from Davids tiddlyBlink version (thank you David), but also in recursive in the TOC for tags. Below you can see some of the new features

    1. button to to toggle transclusion mode. also positioned at the bottom right of the lists (handy if you have long lists
    2. modified and created date is shown in the bottom right corner of transcluded tiddlers (can be turned off in the readme)
    3. the background and text of the transclusion follows the theme (code background) so you can use dark themes

    What's the difference between TiddlyBlink and TOC generic you might think?

    TiddlyBlink a TW version and is more focused on linking and have a complete setup for building a link-centred wiki. The TOC generic plugin can use tags as well as links, and are more focused on showing information and connections, not editing. TOC generic is a plugin and can be used in any wiki with a pre-existing organisation.

    Changelog

    v. 2.0.0

    • [New] added transclusion of tiddlers, to the toc, backlinks, list and listed (also recursive through the toc)(from tiddly blink)
    • [New] added toggle transclusion button at the "references" top and at the end of transcluded toc, backlinks, list and listed. Also available in the readme
    • [New] added modified/created date in the bottom right corner of transcluded tiddlers in the lists (toggle in readme)
    • [New] made the transclusion background (grey box) and text, follow the theme (code class). This means you can use dark themes and still read the text.
    • [Change] changed settings from radio buttons to checkbox in the readme

    HC Haase

    May 11, 2020, 4:18:53 AM5/11/20
    to TiddlyWiki
    Announcement: TOC Generic - bugfix
    Date: 2020/05/11
    Release: 2.0.1

    minor bug fix.

    v. 2.0.1

    • [Fix] close transclusion button at the bottom right showed for both links and tags, even if only one of these lists where present

    v. 2.0.0

    • [New] added transclusion of tiddlers, to the toc, backlinks, list and listed (also recursive through the toc)(from tiddly blink)
    • [New] added toggle transclusion button at the "references" top and at the end of transcluded toc, backlinks, list and listed. Also available in the readme
    • [New] added modified/created date in the bottom right corner of transcluded tiddlers in the lists (toggle in readme)
    • [New] made the transclusion background (grey box) and text, follow the theme (code class). This means you can use dark themes and still read the text.
    • [Change] changed settings from radio buttons to checkbox in the readme

    TonyM

    May 11, 2020, 5:18:58 AM5/11/20
    to TiddlyWiki
    HC

    I think your functionality is great in this plugin.

    I am sorry coming so late to comment but for any solution making use of the view template there are two features I think are important,
    • Provide a config tiddler such as $:/config/TOC-Generic-filter with a default filter than can be modified, for example some may want "[all[current]!is[system]]" some may not
    • If possible allow the ability to toggle the feature on or off individual tiddlers
    One finally thing to consider is the space consumed by you solution to display, you can seperate the toggling of content from the display of the content so only one line would be used until content is displayed. I can explain this method if you wish.

    Regards
    Tony

    HC Haase

    May 11, 2020, 8:57:51 AM5/11/20
    to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

    I think your functionality is great in this plugin.

    thank you!

    • Provide a config tiddler such as $:/config/TOC-Generic-filter with a default filter than can be modified, for example some may want "[all[current]!is[system]]" some may not
    you are right. I will look into that. But are you talking about the filter for toc, backlinks etc. or a filter for witch tiddlers to show it on?

    • If possible allow the ability to toggle the feature on or off individual tiddlers
    I thought of this, but that is problematic because you could get false negatives.
    say you have a tiddler showing no references. you dont know if that is because there are no tag, backlinks, list or listed, OR it is because you at some point in the past excluded it. my workaround is the ability to hide everything behind the "references" button. Though I am all ears for better suggestions.

    One finally thing to consider is the space consumed by you solution to display, you can seperate the toggling of content from the display of the content so only one line would be used until content is displayed. I can explain this method if you wish.

    you are right. yes please explain. are you thinking of having all the folded lists-buttons on one line beside each other?

    TonyM

    May 11, 2020, 10:11:58 PM5/11/20
    to TiddlyWiki
    HC,

    • Provide a config tiddler such as $:/config/TOC-Generic-filter with a default filter than can be modified, for example some may want "[all[current]!is[system]]" some may not
    you are right. I will look into that. But are you talking about the filter for toc, backlinks etc. or a filter for witch tiddlers to show it on?

    First I was thinking just which tiddlers to show it on. In an open wiki I may use  "[all[current]!is[system]]" because I only want it on "non-system tiddlers", but in other cases I may have such as has[object-type] or object-type[notes]

    • If possible allow the ability to toggle the feature on or off individual tiddlers
    If hiding it is the exception not the rule, you could permit any tiddler to have a field hide-references = yes in which case you do not display it, even if you do not provide a toggle for this it allows manual intervention.
    However in the first filter above one could say !hide-references[yes] so this can be achived if you provide the first filter.

    I thought of this, but that is problematic because you could get false negatives.
    say you have a tiddler showing no references. you dont know if that is because there are no tag, backlinks, list or listed, OR it is because you at some point in the past excluded it. my workaround is the ability to hide everything behind the "references" button. Though I am all ears for better suggestions.

    Actually being able to force something can be an intentional negative or intentional positive.You may say enable it on Control Panel but not advanced search.

    One finally thing to consider is the space consumed by you solution to display, you can seperate the toggling of content from the display of the content so only one line would be used until content is displayed. I can explain this method if you wish.

    you are right. yes please explain. are you thinking of having all the folded lists-buttons on one line beside each other?

    If you seperate the way you toggle a set of things, from the way you display them you can do this;

    Eg a section of checkboxes whose default is show as normal. but if checked creates say $:/state/hide-references with the value yes, we may call this hide references

    Below in your tiddler you wrap the display of references as
    <$list filter="[{$:/state/display-references}!match[no]]" variable=nul>
    display references here
    </$list>

    Note how by saying "not match no", both empty and yes will display the references.

    In this case I am using a global state tiddler, but you can qualify it to make it local only
    <<qualify $:/state/display-references>>
    I think you will have to use a set or wikify to capture and reuse this value in both the checkbox and the display list.

    Others like to use the reveal widget here (not me)

    If you are able to write the filters for toc, backlinks etc. you can write a filter to find them all, followed by limit[1] then wrap the whole display of references etc.. in a list widget with this filter.
    Then the references will only appear if there are even just one toc, backlinks etc.

    Regards
    Tony

    Regards
    Tony

    HC Haase

    May 20, 2020, 6:46:51 AM5/20/20
    to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
    Announcement: TOC Generic
    Date: 2020/05/20
    Release: 2.1.0

    @TonyM: Thank you for your comments, I will get back to them when time permits

    The reveal content of all tiddlers  (transcluison) was introduced in version 2, now  version 2.1.0 introduce reveal content button, for individual tiddler as well. And the caption field is now also shown in the transclusion view.

    I have realised, that some of the functions of this plugin have been overlooked, so I will attempt to make the presentation / documentation more clear.

    I hope you like it. next version will include more customisation options.

    • all lists are collapsible. All sublists can be closed/opened by clicking on the header for the list.
    • all lists are conditional, the lists will ONLY appear if there is something in them (e.g. if you don't see the backlink list, it is because there are no backlinks to that tiddler)
    • many things are customisable: e.g. if you dont like the top header to be called "References" you can change it in the settings
    Below is a screenshot showing the functions

      1. button to to toggle transclusion mode. also positioned at the bottom right of the lists (handy if you have long lists
      1. button to to toggle individual  transclusion mode
      1. modified and created date is shown in the bottom right corner of transcluded tiddlers (can be turned off in the readme)
      2. the background and text of the transclusion follows the theme (code background) so you can use dark themes
      1. the headings (e.g. lists and listed) only show if there is something in them

      What's the difference between TiddlyBlink and TOC generic you might think?

      TiddlyBlink a TW version and is more focused on linking and have a complete setup for building a link-centred wiki. The TOC generic plugin can use tags as well as links, and are more focused on showing information and connections, not editing. TOC generic is a plugin and can be used in any wiki with a pre-existing organisation.

      Changelog

      v. 2.1.0

      • [New] added transclusion of individual tiddlers, to the toc, backlinks, list and listed (also recursive through the toc)(from tiddly blink)
      • [New] enable use of the caption field (if present) in transclusion mode, for link/list/listed
      • [Change] Improved documentation
      • [New] moved settings from ./readme to ./settings tiddler

      _Phi / hpx1

      Jul 12, 2020, 12:36:57 AM7/12/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      Hi,

      thank you for your work, I found your plugin to be really useful and I like the folding sections.
      Do you plan to add freelinks in the future as well ?

      also just fyi, I've noticed an incompatibility between TOCgeneric 2.1.0 and the plugin SideEditor 2.03. the googlegroups thread here if you would like to investigate the issue.

      thanks.
      _ph

      Mat

      Jul 14, 2020, 8:48:56 AM7/14/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      @HC Haase (and _Phi)

      There's an superfluous curly brace at the very end of the stylesheet that causes interference with other plugins.
      Would be appreciated if this can be removed.

      <:-)

      HC Haase

      Aug 26, 2020, 2:22:09 AM8/26/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      Dear everyone
      Do to the general situation I did not have time to set aside for TW. That coupled with the community going in another direction than me, and my enthusiasm faded. I have been away for a long time so sorry for the late reply. I hope to be back in the TWorld again.

      thank you for your work, I found your plugin to be really useful and I like the folding sections.

      that's great to hear. I had the impression that I was the only one using my plugin. Happy to know you find it useful. This gives me motivation to continue.

      Do you plan to add freelinks in the future as well ?

      Yes. when I get the time. I will look into it soon.

      I am wondering how the UI of freelinks should be. a dropdown of its own or integrated into the link section.. hmm

      also just fyi, I've noticed an incompatibility between TOCgeneric 2.1.0 and the plugin SideEditor 2.03. the googlegroups thread here if you would like to investigate the issue.

      thanks for the report and thanks @Mat for finding it. I will correct it soon

      HC Haase

      Aug 27, 2020, 9:13:15 AM8/27/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      Announcement: TOC Generic
      Date: 2020/08/27
      Release: 2.1.1

      v. 2.1.1

      • [Fix] bug in the style sheet (}) interfered with other plugins (thanks Mat).

      _Phi / hpx1

      Aug 27, 2020, 2:02:35 PM8/27/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      Thanks for the update !
      Regarding Freelinks, I suppose they should have their own folding section :
      ------------------------
      >References

      > X Tagged with XXXX

      > X Freelinks

      Birthe C

      Aug 28, 2020, 10:19:05 PM8/28/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      HC Haase,

      Thank you for your update.
      You have been missed by the way, but time is the master.

      Birthe

      arun babu

      Nov 29, 2020, 12:14:43 PM11/29/20
      to TiddlyWiki

      Hi HCHaase

      I found this plug in recently only and it is very useful in handling backlinks. Thanks for making such a nice plug in. I think this plug in has the best UI among the plug ins which handle backlinks (Although I might prefer less no of buttons).

      Is there any plan to include free links also as a part of the plug in as you had told in an earlier post ?

      arun babu

      Nov 29, 2020, 4:02:53 PM11/29/20
      to TiddlyWiki
      Hi HCHaase,

      Can you please add the option to edit the transcluded tiddlers within the reference lists itself

      HC Haase

      Dec 1, 2020, 7:24:09 AM12/1/20
      to TiddlyWiki

      I found this plug in recently only and it is very useful in handling backlinks. Thanks for making such a nice plug in. I think this plug in has the best UI among the plug ins which handle backlinks

      Thanks. Glad to hear it.

      (Although I might prefer less no of buttons).

      feel free to share any ideas!

      Is there any plan to include free links also as a part of the plug in as you had told in an earlier post ?

      yes. I have not been working on tw for some time now but I will get on it soon.

      >Can you please add the option to edit the transcluded tiddlers within the reference lists itself
      maybe... if I can find a simple way to do it.
      Is this a crucial feature? you can always just click the grey box and go to the tiddler. I am not criticising your request, just thinking out loud.

      arun babu

      Dec 1, 2020, 1:50:01 PM12/1/20
      to TiddlyWiki

      Thanks for the reply.

      I have used inline editing of transcluded tiddlers with rider plug in in my TWs (https://clutterstack.github.io/can-tw/rider-plugin/). I was referring to a similar functionality.

      I have also seen such an implementation in this instance of TW (https://trisaster.github.io/#All%20Pages). See the reference section where there is option to edit tiddlers by double clicking(since its using streams plug in). I am not sure whether these references are transcluded tiddlers or not.

      Regarding buttons, I don't have any ideas as of now. When I have more ideas, I will share it here. When there are many references, these buttons are actually useful. It looks slightly odd when there a few references only.

      arun babu

      Jan 8, 2021, 4:12:47 PM1/8/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      Hi HCHaase

      Can you please add highlighting for the linked words within each of the transcluded tiddlers under links section of the references

      HC Haase

      Jan 19, 2021, 4:18:15 AM1/19/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      just  heads up. I am almost done implementing freelinks in the plugin. releasing soon

      arun babu

      Jan 19, 2021, 5:52:14 PM1/19/21
      to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
      Thanks for the heads up. Can you add a configuration panel like in the reference plug-in of TiddlyResearch to turn on and off backlinks, freelinks, tags, lists as needed by the user (as shown in the picture given below). I guess an exclude filter is on the roadmap as well.

      Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 4.18.32 AM.png

      arun babu

      Mar 6, 2021, 6:29:34 AM3/6/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      @HCHaase any updates regarding the release?

      HC Haase

      Mar 11, 2021, 3:45:08 AM3/11/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      I finally got something done :)

      finally freelinks

      Thanks for your patiened reminders..

      >Can you add a configuration panel like in the reference plug-in of TiddlyResearch to turn on and off backlinks, freelinks, tags, lists as needed by the user

      I have added this for you... Tough I personally would recommend not to use it, as the lists will not appear if there is no connections in them. Instead I would leave them folded if I dont use them as much.

      any way enjoy.. I will continue the development.

      Announcement: TOC Generic
      Date: 2021/03/11
      Release: 2.2.0

      v. 2.2.0

      • [New] added freelinks (copied form TWCrossLinks) for full match (partial match coming soon)
      • [New] added options to remove any of the lists (in settings)

      Ray Vermey

      Mar 11, 2021, 3:54:55 AM3/11/21
      to Mohammad Rahmani
      Nice plugin thank you!

      Ray

      arun babu

      Mar 11, 2021, 6:19:00 AM3/11/21
      to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
      Thanks HCHaase for the update. Will get back to you after I try it out in my wiki.

      HC Haase

      Mar 12, 2021, 8:02:29 AM3/12/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      yay.. partial mode for freelinks

      Announcement: TOC Generic
      Date: 2021/03/12
      Release: 2.2.1

      v. 2.2.1

      • [Fix] the references list disappeared instead of collapse when pressed
      • [new] added freelinks partial match mode. toggle in settings
      • [new] added submenu under "references". toggle with  >  to the right

      arun babu

      Apr 20, 2021, 6:19:29 PM4/20/21
      to TiddlyWiki
      Hi HCHaase,

      Thanks for the update. Everything works fine. I use it in all of my wikis.

      Arun