[TW5] Edit Tiddly Wiki files straight on Google Drive

Joshua Stubbs

Oct 21, 2017, 11:35:10 AM10/21/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, all.

I made an app that lets one edit TiddlyWiki files saved in your Google drive and then saving them back automagically. The page is here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tiddly-drive/oaphhjhbbabdjnpjpiliepphpmnioolo but I think you need to add it from the Google Drive web interface.

I even added an optional ability to save with ctrl + s hotkeys.

I hope you all find it useful. It's open source so all feedback and contributions are welcome. I still have to set up some contribution guidelines but we'll get there!

Kind regards. Joshua.

TonyM

Oct 21, 2017, 5:27:06 PM10/21/17
to TiddlyWiki
Joshua,

Looks good. I Will look through the implications, usability and provide feedback.

Can you provide some more details?, can I share the file with others and if we avoid conflicts can we both update the same wiki?

Regards
Tony

Eneko Gotzon

Oct 21, 2017, 7:14:27 PM10/21/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua.

​Your addon would

​allow ​
to enjoy all the options
​offered by
 Chrome
(
on​
my Mac
​ it is ​
the better working browser
).

First feedback:
  • The app icon shows up blurred (screenshot attached). Too little?
  • Once installed I do not see your addon listed as an extension (so, for example, there is no choice to uninstall it).
  • No option shows up onto the contextual menu (right click) to open a TW file from the Google Drive web interface.
​Thank you for your work.
--
Eneko Gotzon Ares
Izan, egon, egin
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 00.47.51.png

Joshua Stubbs

Oct 21, 2017, 7:23:53 PM10/21/17
to TiddlyWiki

Hi, Tony.

If a file has been shared with you and you have edit privileges, it should work the same way. However, the only way for changes to reflect of the other person, is to refresh the page.

In terms of more details, from a technical point of view, I load the wiki in an iframe and keep the logic of the app lightweight and separate so there should ideally be very little that can interfere with the usual functioning.
Google also recently introduced versioning to Drive so that's handy for this.

From a usability point of view, I added the option to disable autosave for the situations where people have big files. Also, talking about big files, I haven't tested with files bigger than 10 MB.

All the best. Joshua.

Joshua Stubbs

Oct 21, 2017, 7:34:07 PM10/21/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 1:14:27 AM UTC+2, Eneko Gotzon wrote:
> Hi Joshua.
>

> ​Your addon would
> ​allow ​to enjoy all the options
> ​offered by Chrome
> (
> on​ my Mac
> ​ it is ​the better working browser
> ).
>

> First feedback:
> The app icon shows up blurred (screenshot attached). Too little?
> Once installed I do not see your addon listed as an extension (so, for example, there is no choice to uninstall it).No option shows up onto the contextual menu (right click) to open a TW file from the Google Drive web interface.
>
> ​Thank you for your work.--

> Eneko Gotzon Ares
> Izan, egon, egin
> Donostia – EH, Baskonia, NA Oso
> Tf
> (+34) 943 273 431 - (+34) 639 626 858
>
> ——————————————————
> Mezu hau eta berari atxikitako agiri oro isilpeko dira eta soilik hartzaileari zuzentzen zaizkie. Mezu hau hutsegitez jasoz gero berau ezabatzea eskatzen da eta igorleari horren berri ematea eskertuko litzake. Baimen agerikorik gabe debekatuta dago mezu honen edota bere edukinen edozein erabilera edo hedatzea, bai osoki zein zatiz.
> Mezu elektronikoak andea daitezke; mezu hau andeaturik, aldaturik edota aizun balego Eneko Gotzon Aresek edota bere ordezkariek uko egiten diote edonolako ardurei.

Hi, Eneko.

To add it to Google Drive you need to perform an additional step. If you open the context menu on the file, there should be a entry under all the various apps that says something like "connect more apps". If you click on that, it will open a mini app store thingy where you can search for Tiddly Drive to connect it.

I'll get some screenshots as soon as I can but this is just to give you some direction in the mean time.

Many thanks. Joshua.

Eneko Gotzon

Oct 21, 2017, 7:47:52 PM10/21/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Joshua Stubbs <joshua...@gmail.com> wrote:
you need to perform an additional step
​.

​That worked! Thank you so much Joshua!

All you, wonderful coders, are going to achive me falling in love with all you.… ;)

With all my admiration and recognition. Take care.

Jan

Oct 23, 2017, 5:45:06 AM10/23/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua!
THanks for your work, I tried it immediately. I still long something
uncomplicated to work in IOS.

Yours Jan

Joshua Stubbs

Oct 24, 2017, 1:20:40 AM10/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi guys.

I'm really glad that you find it useful. If you have a suggestion or would like to report a bug, you can log an issue here: https://github.com/tiddlydrive/tiddlydrive.github.io/issues

Just remember to choose an appropriate label for the issue.

Keep Tiddlying. Joshua.

Message has been deleted

Captain Packers

Feb 2, 2018, 12:47:04 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
It looks like all my wiki content runs through your website because of the way the extension works. Is that true?

T Mack

Feb 19, 2018, 4:28:29 PM2/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Is Tiddlydrive broken? https://tiddlydrive.lordratte.info returns a 404...

George Goodman

Feb 19, 2018, 8:26:30 PM2/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Problems with Github's handling of https. See this other topic here in the group. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/TiddlyWiki/LDjDwIYvvAI

dg

Mar 21, 2018, 10:24:09 AM3/21/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just found this. Very useful! Many thanks from a noob.

Can you explain the privacy of this approach? I'm not a programmer, so please keep it simple if you can. I just want to know if it's okay to edit documents with some sensitive (proprietary) information.

Thx!
--
dg

Steven Schneider

Mar 22, 2018, 1:07:38 PM3/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Not sure of what you are after here by reviving this old thread. My approach, in the post-TiddlyFox era, is to use TiddlyDesktop and serve via google drive using updog (http://updog.co). It is stable, if a bit slow, from time to time. Perhaps this will help? //steve.

TonyM

Mar 22, 2018, 6:45:04 PM3/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Steven,

What you propose does not fit withing my expierence of TiddlyWiki hosting and When I go to the URL given my Nortons says.

BLOCKED BY
 Dangerous Web Page BlockedYou attempted to access:http://updog.co/

Can you please confirm this is a valid exception or post supporting info or your message should be deleted

Regards
Tony

Steven Schneider

Mar 23, 2018, 12:04:23 PM3/23/18
to TiddlyWiki

Mat

Mar 23, 2018, 5:49:23 PM3/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 5:35:10 PM UTC+2, Joshua Stubbs wrote:
Hi, all.

I made an app that lets one edit TiddlyWiki files saved in your Google drive and then saving them back automagically. The page is here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tiddly-drive/oaphhjhbbabdjnpjpiliepphpmnioolo [...]

1,913 users - WOW! Honestly, that is probably 100 times more than I'd guess. And it is probably the only user statistics I've seen on a TW "plugin" or comparable.

Considering that TW is a bit "niche" to begin with and that plugins are even more niched... AND that we don't have any infrastructure for our plugins... 1900+ users is absolutely astonishing! Anybody knows if this number comes from google actually measuring current installations or if it is [historic] downloads?

<:-)

Alfonso Arciniega

May 3, 2018, 3:40:34 PM5/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
After some time, I tried out Tiddly Drive today. Tried it once before and it was fine the first time. Now it does not work anymore. Chrome latest version on Windows 7. Would it be just me?

Cheers,

Alfonso

David Allen

May 3, 2018, 3:48:48 PM5/3/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It might not be just you, but it's working fine for me.

David Allen

Alfonso Arciniega

May 3, 2018, 3:49:19 PM5/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
It works fine on Firefox Nightly though...

Justin Morgan

Sep 11, 2018, 10:06:46 PM9/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Joshua,

Do you know if it's possible to display a favicon when using TiddlyDrive? The favicon I have set will display when I open my wiki locally but when I open it in GoogleDrive, all I see is the default favicon. It's not exactly a huge deal but it would be nice to be able to identify my wiki tab more easily (even if it's just the TW logo). BTW, this is an awesome project and your work on it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

FFT

Jan 27, 2023, 7:09:03 PM1/27/23
to TiddlyWiki
Is the developer still working on this project? Thankfully it still works well, except for not displaying the favicon. The problem is if it stops working, I'm toast. Are there other google drive implementations similar in function to TiddlyDrive?

joshua...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 2:56:46 AM1/28/23
to TiddlyWiki

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 28, 2023, 12:28:28 PM1/28/23
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is a great shame. I’ve copied the text from Joshua's link below:

End of TiddlyDrive Support

Thank you for using TiddlyDrive. It was a fun project to make.

Unfortunately I am unable to continue working on the app. I am a self-supported developer and cannot keep up with the constant changes in Google's requirements and app maintenance. I wish I had the time, but even cave-dwelling programmers aren't autotrophs -- we gotta eat.

The app will still be available until Google has fully disabled it. As always, though, it is open source, so feel free to create a listing yourself.

Best wishes

Jeremy