Announcing the release of TiddlyWiki v5.1.22

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 15, 2020, 12:00:14 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
I’m delighted to announce the release of TiddlyWiki v5.1.22.

This is major release, with many new features, improvements and bug fixes including:

* Plugins that do not contain JS modules can now be loaded dynamically, without needing to save and reload the wiki
* The plugin chooser (ie the modal for adding new plugins) now features an “updates” tab bringing together all the updates from that plugin library, and allowing them all to be updated with a single click
* The optional sub-plugins for the CodeMirror plugin are organised under the main plugin in the plugin chooser
* Plugin dependencies are now installed automatically
* Improvements to the client-server configuration under Node.js, including better resilience to connection errors and a new dropdown for server-related features
* New “compare” filter operator for comparing numbers, strings, dates and version numbers
* New menubar plugin for adding a responsive top menu
* New freelinks plugin for automatically creating links out of tiddler titles
* Improved Markdown plugin

…and many more, all listed on the release note:

You can upgrade your existing single file wikis at: https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html

As usual, please exercise caution when upgrading: take care to take good backups and test that everything is still working as it should

Comments and questions welcome.

I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to the many people who contributed to this release. There are 23 people listed on the release note as having contributed via GitHub but of course many others have helped shape this release through the discussions here. Thanks to everyone.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad

Apr 15, 2020, 12:08:05 PM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,
 Many thanks for all your efforts. This release has a wealth of new plugins and great features.
I wish all the best for you and the amazing Tiddlywiki!

--Mohammad

David Gifford

Apr 15, 2020, 12:22:49 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think you left the freelinks out. It is not listed in the plugins section. Looking forward to updating, but I want to see this feature and try it out.

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 15, 2020, 12:30:09 PM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

I think you left the freelinks out. It is not listed in the plugins section. Looking forward to updating, but I want to see this feature and try it out.

It’s not listed under Contents->Plugins->Official Plugins, but you can install it from the library in the usual way.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mark S.

Apr 15, 2020, 1:00:27 PM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

I notice that the markdown plugin now has the ability to partially interpret wikitext. It
looks like it will successfully interpret a list widget, for instance that is self contained. e.g.

<$list filter="[tag[mytag]]" template="mytemplate"/>

But not one involving multiple lines:

<$list filter="[tag[mytag]]">

</$list>

Am I understanding correctly? Or is there a backdoor for turning on more functionality?

Thanks!

Edited - trim quoted text.

Mat

Apr 15, 2020, 1:07:35 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki

PMario

Apr 15, 2020, 1:54:04 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Good catch ;)

See the PR which replaces the markdown library with the remarkale.js library. I thik MidnightLightning has done a great job creating this PR.

Quote from the PR

This change also modifies the Parser logic of the Markdown plugin to parse all possible Markdown entities first, but then if the Remarkable library thinks a run of text is just text, that text is also passed into the WikiText parser, such that syntax could be intermixed (allowing for an easier transition for a Tiddler that was written in WikiText, moving to Markdown).

So this new library should be much more flexible as the old one.

have fun!
mario

David Gifford

Apr 15, 2020, 1:59:45 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
oh, okay. I will check it out then! Thanks!
Hi Dave

PMario

Apr 15, 2020, 2:10:01 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 7:00:27 PM UTC+2, Mark S. wrote:
But not one involving multiple lines:

<$list filter="[tag[mytag]]">

</$list>

That's right. ... I think the best way to add "TW functions" would be to use macros.

eg:

<<list-links "[tag[HelloThere]]">> or

1-liners as:

<$list filter="[tag[HelloThere]]"><<currentTiddler>><br></$list>

but we shouldn't hijack the thread :)

-mario

Sebastián Ortega

Apr 15, 2020, 4:08:47 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

After seen that you have released this version I've tried to update my instance of TiddlyWiki that I run in a personal server with the node module in version 5.1.21. When I update to either the latest of 5.1.22 all CSS styles and the name of the wiki dissapear.

Before:

After:

Note how the title is also diferent. However I can access all the existing tiddlers.

Is there any upgrade step I missed?

Thanks in advance

Anne-Laure Le Cunff

Apr 15, 2020, 5:38:54 PM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo!! Let me know if okay to launch on PH tomorrow or the day after :)

(I recommend Friday)

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 15, 2020, 5:48:43 PM4/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, either day would be great, I'm ready to go with my account.

For others: Anne-Laure has kindly offered to "hunt" TiddlyWiki on Product Hunt, an insanely influential site with popularity rankings for products of all types. Anne-Laure has done this before and so we will hopefully make maximum impact.

If you'd like to help this effort, do please sign up at https://producthunt.com ready to upvote Anne-Laure's post when the time comes.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Joshua Fontany

Apr 15, 2020, 8:23:06 PM4/15/20
to TiddlyWiki
Huzzah!

Time to update my plugins to target the official 5.1.22 version.

Looking forward to what the new tools will allow.

Best,

Joshua F
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

Peter Buyze

Apr 16, 2020, 12:25:47 AM4/16/20
to 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
@Mark: presumably markdown will still not be able to handle internal links, correct?

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

15 Apr 2020, 20:00 by tiddl...@googlegroups.com:

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 9:00:14 AM UTC-7, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
I’m delighted to announce the release of TiddlyWiki v5.1.22.

Hubert

Apr 16, 2020, 4:48:34 AM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Jeremy and everyone involved for this exciting new release!

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning ;)

Best,
Hubert

Lin Onetwo

Apr 16, 2020, 10:18:20 AM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Wow, the feeling of upgrading is so good!

And the dropdown of sync button makes wonder maybe it can have multiple save target now.

Maybe I can auto save to local nodejs, and optionally save HTML backup to Github once every day.

在 2020年4月16日星期四 UTC+8上午12:00:14,Jeremy Ruston写道:

Mark S.

Apr 16, 2020, 10:45:08 AM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki

Actually markdown was already sort of able to handle internal links, for tiddlers with no spaces in their names:

[Mine](#ThisIsMyMessage)

With the new ability, you could use the link widget:

<$link to="This is my Tiddler">My tiddler</$link>

and transclusions work right out of the box:

{{This is my message}}
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tiddlywiki+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Peter Buyze

Apr 16, 2020, 11:56:52 AM4/16/20
to 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
Mark, thanks.

I am still on 5.1.21 and an internal link with gaps in the tiddler title DOES work also :-))
Transclusions don't work in 5.1.21, so I look forward to 5.1.22 for that, among other things, and for Freelinks.

Thanks again.

16 Apr 2020, 17:45 by tiddl...@googlegroups.com:

Message has been deleted