Confused by most Firefox Quantum save options, and wanting to keep everything synced to Dropbox, here's my SIMPLE method

218 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

David F

ongelezen,
18 nov 2017, 17:06:0518-11-2017
aan TiddlyWiki
I freaked out when tiddlywiki wouldn't save after updating Firefox and while I thought I'd need a new add-on or something, I was becoming more frustrated the further I got.

The Getting Started page was good, and it was great that it listed so many options, but I wanted a simple way of keeping my tiddlywiki files in Dropbox and working across computers no matter where I was.

Oh yeah, and there was no way I was going to rely on remembering to save/backup/upload the most recent version each time...

I use Windows and Linux machines, but primarily Windows for everyday note-taking - so this solution is geared toward that environment.
So this is what I just came up with that is working well for me...
  • Installed the "save tiddlers" Firefox addon: https://github.com/buggyj/savetiddlers
  • Then create a folder within Downloads called "tiddlywikilocations" - put a copy of your old (or a brand new) tiddlywiki file there
  • Then download and install FreeFileSync (open source file and folder backup software). https://www.freefilesync.org/manual.php
  • Set up FreeFileSync to watch the 2 folder locations - the one in your dropbox folder, and the one at tiddlywikilocations within Downloads... set it up for 2-way backups...
    and save the batch file, MAKING SURE you select "Exit" instead of "Show Summary" in the options dialogue window that pops up or else it will only trigger once, unless/until you close the Summary window.
  • Then set up RealTimeSync (included in FreeFileSync), loading the previously created batch file using File - Open, to automatically trigger the backup every time there is a change to any file in the locations being watched in the FreeFileSync setup.

Then open the tiddlewiki file located in "tiddlywikilocations"using Firefox, make a change, save it, and 10 seconds later (assuming you left the default setting in RealTimeSync), you will see the file appear in the Dropbox folder, and the Dropbox sync client upload the new file.

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen
0 nieuwe berichten