Presenting: the toggle macro

Mat

Jan 12, 2017, 8:41:09 AM1/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
With some hesitancy, because it is such a small thing, I present...

toggle

...a little macro for a button to set a state value somewhere. Can be presented as a checkbox, a nice grahpic button, etc.

The purpose is a much simpler-to-use tool than the RevealWidget or the CheckboxWidget.

It is basically the standard revealwidget button setup but put into a macro to get a friendly interface. I made it for my own stuff and figured I'd might as well make it public. Took more time to write the presentation for it really.

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 12, 2017, 10:23:18 AM1/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

On 12 Jan 2017, at 06:41, Mat <matia...@gmail.com> wrote:

With some hesitancy, because it is such a small thing, I present…

Bravo. I’d say that small, focussed demos like this are very useful, and much easier for people to learn from than more elaborate tools. And the whole approach of wrapping some gnarly primitives in an easy-to-use macro is exactly what macros are for.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

toggle

...a little macro for a button to set a state value somewhere. Can be presented as a checkbox, a nice grahpic button, etc.

The purpose is a much simpler-to-use tool than the RevealWidget or the CheckboxWidget.

It is basically the standard revealwidget button setup but put into a macro to get a friendly interface. I made it for my own stuff and figured I'd might as well make it public. Took more time to write the presentation for it really.

<:-)

Tobias Beer

Jan 12, 2017, 2:00:57 PM1/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

Neat little tool, me likey. 😁

Perhaps mention that "statetarget" can be any text reference, not just a title, so it could be:

<<toggle Hey!!you>>

<
<toggle "$:/some-datatiddler##special-index">>

Actually, I played with it a bit more, because I liked the idea to be able to use a template instead of defining every possible option, e.g:

<<toggle Hey!!you as:check>>

So, here it goes:

http://toggle-more.tiddlyspot.com

Please steal to your heart's content.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Mat

Jan 12, 2017, 3:11:47 PM1/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy Ruston wrote:

Bravo. I’d say that small, focussed demos like this are very useful, and much easier for people to learn from than more elaborate tools. And the whole approach of wrapping some gnarly primitives in an easy-to-use macro is exactly what macros are for.

Yes, it would lower the learning curve if we could postpone exposing newcomers to everything that starts with both "$:/" and "<$".

<:-)

Mat

Jan 12, 2017, 3:22:43 PM1/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Tobias Beer wrote:

Perhaps mention that "statetarget" can be any text reference, not just a title,

Yeah, I actually do mention it but I didn't give an example. (Didn't at all think of ##indices tho!)

Hahaa! You're truly one of the Grand Master TiddlyWizards.

Please steal to your heart's content.

In deed! That's one of the best parts in sharing - people take stuff, run with it and make it and TW even better!

Detail; please just make sure you change the author name on tiddlers you make. (Someone might mistake me for a being a Grand Master which would end in Grand Embarrassment.)

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 12, 2017, 10:50:19 PM1/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

Yes, it would lower the learning curve if we could postpone exposing newcomers to everything that starts with both "$:/" and "<$".

My original idea was that the $ should be a consistent indicator of low-level primitives: "here be dragons", as the (English) saying goes, with wikitext syntax and macros being the ordinary way of interacting with the system.

Best wishes

Jeremy

<:-)

Tobias Beer

Jan 12, 2017, 11:47:29 PM1/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Detail; please just make sure you change the author name on tiddlers you make. (Someone might mistake me for a being a Grand Master which would end in Grand Embarrassment.)

Let me rephrase my last sentence...

That toggle-more site is merely intended as demo,
w/o aspirations to be some and "here's my alernative toggle". ;-)

So, if you feel like this is a worthy extension to your idea:
Please do take it over to your site ..."make it yours", so to speak.

Best wishes,

Tobias.