Tag is created even if you don't click 'Add' - bug or feature ?

Mark S.

Dec 29, 2020, 3:26:34 PM12/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
In the tag field you sometimes need to type a partial text, perhaps to see a list of matching tags. If you don't clear this text, and if you close the tiddler, the partial text is added as a tag even though you didn't click the "Add" button.

Has it always been this way? Is this a bug, or a feature? To me it's been a bit of a bug, since I have to keep re-opening tiddlers and deleting a tag I never intended to be created. Since there's an "Add" button, I would assume that it should only add a tag if the button is pressed.

Thanks!

PMario

Dec 29, 2020, 4:17:41 PM12/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 9:26:34 PM UTC+1 Mark S. wrote:
In the tag field you sometimes need to type a partial text, perhaps to see a list of matching tags. If you don't clear this text, and if you close the tiddler, the partial text is added as a tag even though you didn't click the "Add" button.

This was added by user request.

Has it always been this way?

no

Is this a bug, or a feature?

feature ;) ...

To me it's been a bit of a bug, since I have to keep re-opening tiddlers and deleting a tag I never intended to be created. Since there's an "Add" button, I would assume that it should only add a tag if the button is pressed.

The easiest way to clear the input field is to hit the [Escape] key.

-mario

Sylvain Naudin

Dec 30, 2020, 3:29:31 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think this is the same 'feature' for fields.

(and in fact it's quite practice).

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2020, 5:13:49 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S.

I never noticed that before! I just confirmed on a recent TW that even WITHOUT CLICKING "Add" that on save anything entered in the tag adding field at the top of the editor is recorded as a tag.

I consider that a BUG. It is NOT correct to add any new tag that is not explicitly confirmed by the user IMO.

Best wishes
TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2020, 5:24:04 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
PMario wrote:
This was added by user request.

Mark S: Is this a bug, or a feature?

feature ;) ...

Mark S: To me it's been a bit of a bug, since I have to keep re-opening tiddlers and deleting a tag I never intended to be created. Since there's an "Add" button, I would assume that it should only add a tag if the button is pressed.

The easiest way to clear the input field is to hit the [Escape] key.

But  PMario, you are missing that ADDing items should need EXPLICIT user confirmation. IMO this "so-called feature" of auto-adding tags that a user did NOT confirm prior to Edit-Save is Counter-Intuitive. And it is (a) a pollution of user clarity; (b) adds apports to taggery that are neither needed nor wanted by the end user.

Best wishes
TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2020, 5:27:06 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki

PMario wrote:
This was added by user request.

There may still be time to murder them :-).

TT

PMario

Dec 30, 2020, 6:52:55 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hmmm, I  think there have been different times. ... I'll have to have a look, but I think it has been added prior to the possibility to add tags with the ENTER key.

So users entered the tag and hit CTRL ENTER which i think worked much earlier. So it makes perfect sense, since CTRL-ENTER is a "user consent" to add the tag. ... __And__ it still is!

 We also have the "cursor up / down" navigation in dropdowns now. So there shouldn't be anything left in the input field. May be ... If the tag input looses focus, it should also clear the input field. .. May be?

I think it depends on the users preference. At the moment it "is as it is" and it was implemented as a feature, some time ago!

-mario

Mat

Dec 30, 2020, 8:42:18 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, it is intentional and was superbly better because it was/is surprisingly easy to forget to click Add. It is still very easy to forget clicking Add for field values and if this did not autosave it would be extremely frustrating because there is no confirmation or alert so you silently lose the information you entered, and you might never realize it. For tags (only) I can now see how we could revert to not automatically saving, thanks to the new "confirmation" funtionality such as clicking Enter.

On the other hand, if you don't want the tag value you added there... then why don't you remove it?

Semi-offtopic but IMO the clunky "Add" button is not elegant to begin with. IMO the button is what should be removed and the UI should insteda be that as soon as you begin to type into an empty tag field, there's another empty one created. The dropdown is used for selecting existing values/tags and a new one is created by typing a new string there and then saving the tiddler.

<:-)

Mat

Dec 30, 2020, 9:09:31 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki

Mohammad Rahmani

Dec 30, 2020, 9:16:26 AM12/30/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
 It was like this even in 5.1.14.

Yes, I also think it should be added by user click on Add!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mark S.

Jan 4, 2021, 4:57:54 PM1/4/21
to TiddlyWiki

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 1:17:41 PM UTC-8 PMario wrote:sed.

The easiest way to clear the input field is to hit the [Escape] key.

That doesn't work exactly -- it closes the entire tiddler! I just wanted to escape the tag -- not the entire tiddler.

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 4, 2021, 11:18:25 PM1/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yes, this is not a good behaviour with Esc to close the tiddler and then one loses all the changes!
I have written about this already in GitHub! a better workflow with shortcut keys is required here.

PMario

Jan 5, 2021, 4:48:33 AM1/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
As soon, as you changed something in the text field, you will be asked, if you want to quit edit mode. So _no_ data lost, except you say yes.

If you type ESCAPE and ESCAPE again, the close dialogue goes away _and_ the tag field is empty.

-m

Sylvain Naudin

Jan 5, 2021, 6:40:10 AM1/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, Escape work fine as long as you are in the tag field that you wish to delete (from an entry that does not correspond to any existing tag).