[tw5] Where do I report errors in 5.1.12 prerelease of TW?

Chuck R.

Apr 19, 2016, 11:44:35 AM4/19/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Firefox 43.0.1 with TiddlyFox 1.0alpha18.1-signed plugin on Windows 7. What other info do you need? Local file, single HTML file.

I got an error when I did thusly:

  1. Added a brand new tiddler called 'test'.It automatically goes into Edit mode.
  2. Type in the string "test data" in the tiddler body.
  3. When I clicked the save button on the tiddler 'test', I got the error below.

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.create]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://tiddlyfox/content/overlay.js :: TiddlyFox.saveFile :: line 96"  data: no]

Eric Shulman

Apr 19, 2016, 11:58:59 AM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 8:44:35 AM UTC-7, Chuck R. wrote:
Firefox 43.0.1 on Windows 7. What other info do you need?

working locally (file://) or online?  single-file or nodeJS?

I got an error when I did thusly:

Added a brand new tiddler called 'test'.
Type in test data in the tiddler body.

What was the test data?

When I clicked the save button on the linktemplate, I got the error below.

"linktemplate"  - what is that?

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.create]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://tiddlyfox/content/overlay.js :: TiddlyFox.saveFile :: line 96"  data: no]

Perhaps you downloaded a copy of TW5 that includes the NW.js saver plugin?  That would trigger an attempt to write an individual .tid file when you save tiddler content.

-e

Chuck R.

Apr 19, 2016, 12:23:46 PM4/19/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> working locally (file://) or online?  single-file or nodeJS?

A local copy. It's just a single html file.

I got an error when I did thusly:

Added a brand new tiddler called 'test'.
Type in test data in the tiddler body.
> What was the test data?

Just the string "test data" to make the tiddler have some text.

When I clicked the save button on the linktemplate, I got the error below.

> "linktemplate"  - what is that?

Sorry, my first edit was about creating a new text clip via the toolbar. But I realized the problem is not related to the text snippet. So I forgot to edit this part out.

I fixed the original post. Please see the first post in this thread for updated info.

Arlen Beiler

Apr 19, 2016, 1:20:51 PM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
Does simply creating a new tiddler with a bit of text (i.e. just step 1) also give an error?
-Arlen

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Chuck R. <wedding...@gmail.com> wrote:
> working locally (file://) or online?  single-file or nodeJS?

A local copy. It's just a single html file.

I got an error when I did thusly:

Added a brand new tiddler called 'test'.
Type in test data in the tiddler body.

> What was the test data?

Just the string "test data" to make the tiddler have some text.

When I clicked the save button on the linktemplate, I got the error below.

> "linktemplate"  - what is that?

Sorry, my first edit was about creating a new text clip via the toolbar. But I realized the problem is not related to the text snippet. So I forgot to edit this part out.

Chuck R.

Apr 19, 2016, 3:24:13 PM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki

No, only when I hit the save button do I get the error.

Arlen Beiler

Apr 19, 2016, 3:30:51 PM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ok, so if you only do step one and then click the save button it does that?

I searched the error online and found this page. It may help you. https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox/issues/28

Eric, I think the error is getting triggered by TiddlyFox.

-Arlen

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Chuck R. <wedding...@gmail.com> wrote:

No, only when I hit the save button do I get the error.

Mat

Apr 19, 2016, 3:57:20 PM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
It sounds like an unlikely error so just trying to eliminate possibilities;
is the problem repeated each time you do this?
After installing TiddlyFox and possible other browser thingies, did you restart the browser (not that I think you have to, but anyway).

Do you have a chance to do the exact same thing using another computer?

<:-)

Mark S.

Apr 19, 2016, 4:20:13 PM4/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
Was it the full or empty versions? Have you tried downloading a second time, in case it happened to corrupt during download? Have you closed and re-opened your browser yet?

I just tested with pretty much your identical set-up (had to upgrade TF), and it seems to work.

Good luck!
Mark

Chuck R.

Apr 20, 2016, 7:59:36 AM4/20/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Got it. The default filename for the 5.1.12 has spaces in the local html file plus an mdash. I removed the spaces and mdash, and there is no error when I create a new tiddler, type in "test3" and click the save button.

I didn't restart Firefox or my PC, I just took spaces out of the TW5 filename, opened the TW5.1.12 file, added a new tiddler, added text "test3" and clicked Save.

So there you go, maybe mdashes or extended characters in the filename are a problem.

EDIT: I just made a copy of the 5.1.12 file and put in spaces and it works fine.

Then I closed the TW5 file in my browser, renamed the file and put in a pgraph character by holding alt-8212. Then I opened the TW5.1.12 file and when I added a tiddler and clicked Save, I didn't get an error. So I don't know what's going on.