[TW5] Time Tracking - Searching ideas & hints

Stephan Hradek

Aug 24, 2017, 3:22:33 AM8/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

in my current job I'm using Kimai for time tracking. Nice, web-based application but of course the downside is: It requires a webserver to run it.

As my job finishes in a few days, I thought that TiddlyWiki could give me an alternative.

But I have yet to figure out what can be done with vanilla TW in regards to time tracking and which plugins might already be available.

What I think I would need is
  • Something to record the current timestamp (Journals come to my mind)
  • The Project and/or task I'm working on (Tags maybe?)
  • Something to record the time when I finished the task (…no idea…)
  • Something to summarize the times spent on tasks or projects (…no idea…)

So before reinventing the wheel: Is anyone here having already done this or something similar? Does anyone here know of something like this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stephan

Danielo Rodríguez

Aug 24, 2017, 4:47:29 AM8/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
To record the end time I used a JavaScript macro and a button. Until the modification to the now macro is merged that is the only alternative to generate TW compatible timestamps

Mark S.

Aug 24, 2017, 12:09:05 PM8/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Just to be clear -- when you talk about time-tracking, are you thinking in units of days or hours/minutes?

The next release of TW will have a <<now>> format that will let you capture the time stamp just the way the created and modified fields do. So you could set up a button to record start and end times easily enough. But then you would need a macro to calculate time differences for reporting.

Good luck,
Mark

Stephan Hradek

Aug 24, 2017, 2:04:40 PM8/24/17
to TiddlyWiki

Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2017 18:09:05 UTC+2 schrieb Mark S.:
Just to be clear -- when you talk about time-tracking, are you thinking in units of days or hours/minutes?

Even down to seconds ;)

No.. Hours/minutes would be sufficient.

TonyM

Aug 24, 2017, 6:54:32 PM8/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Stephan,

Have you searched for Tiddlywiki todo or project in google or at tiddlywiki.com?

There are the full solutions out there such as http://cardo.wiki that may already have what you want or provide inspirations.

I do all of what you ask in a Classic tiddlywiki (2.x) with extensive plugins but there are TW5 solutions available.

Regards
Tony

AlanBCohen

Aug 25, 2017, 1:25:38 AM8/25/17
to TiddlyWiki
I used to use TW2 at my job to, ale a ticket tracking system for the first two items. I set my journal timestamp format to European/Japanese as YYYY-0MM-0DD 0hh:0mm:0ss. Each journal is tagged with a project Id. I then used a tiddler to list daily activity. It looks something like this

List tiddler title, tags, and text in a table where tags include 'Journal', sorted by the title.
<th>Title </th>
<th>Tags </th>
<th>Text </th>
<$list filter="[tag[Journal]sort[title]]">
</$list>

This would need to change the filter criteria to limit the selected journals by date(still a work in progress).

I then used a second set of tiddlers to summarize each ProjectID. This tiddler would be like

List tiddler title, tags, and text in a table where tags include ProjectID', sorted by the title.
<th>Title </th>
<th>Tags </th>
<th>Text </th>
<$list filter="[tag[ProjectID]sort[title]]">
</$list>

This ProjectID output is a chronological diary of my work on the project, useful for status reporting.
The third step might be a custom field 'ElapsedTime' (probably in minutes) in each Journal.
The fourth step might be a summary of ElapsedTime. In TW2, I used a second ProjectID tiddler to summarize the elapsed time for my reporting period , but I haven't gotten that far with TW5, yet.

I'm interested on what you end up doing.

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 27, 2017, 1:41:54 PM8/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Stephan & all,

In my own todo system called ToDoNow I use kixam’s plugins to set and adjust deadlines.
http://tiddlywiki.com/#datepicker%20plugin%20based%20on%20Pikaday%2C%20by%20kixam

In the latest prerelease I managed to add remiders and alerts, you can test it here: https://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#ToDoNow

One thing missing is time tracking. I know it would be possible, but I want to keep my tool lean and simple, so I hope I can resist attempts to add this … I also lack time at the moment to further think about it.

Good luck!
Thomas