[tw5] Request: sort selected lines in tiddlywiki edit mode

Skip to the first unread message

Chuck R.

20 Apr 2016, 08:16:3320/04/2016
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes I have a group of lines, maybe in a table, maybe not, that I want to sort. Can we add a feature where we can sort selected lines? I often use sorted data to display things in order so it's easier for the user to find. It could be commands, author names, dates (in YYYYMMDD format), etc.

Thank you again!

Message has been deleted

Mat

20 Apr 2016, 10:24:3720/04/2016
to TiddlyWiki
Chuck, you write

so it's easier for the user to find.

- so you're really talking about "view mode", not "edit mode" then as your headline states, right?

To sort tiddler titles you can use the list widget and the various filter operators. Without knowing exactly what you're after, it's tricky to give a more precise answer.

Why is it not simply a matter of writing the lines in order to begin with?

<:-)

Chuck R.

20 Apr 2016, 13:25:3620/04/2016
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
No, I want to sort lines selected by the user inside the tiddler in edit mode only. It's good for making tables, lists of items, etc.

See image.

Mat

20 Apr 2016, 13:49:4420/04/2016
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, "the user" is you :-)

All(?) widgets and tools in TW are executed in view mode only and merely "set" in editmode. The text is not parsed until you see it in viewmode.

But, I believe it was you who asked about sortable tables. Assuming you found a solution for that, you could put the lines into a table, save-sort-copy-gotoedit-paste....

<:-)

Mark S.

20 Apr 2016, 13:52:1620/04/2016
to TiddlyWiki
What I do in FF/Pale Moon is to install the "It's All Text " plugin. I have mine connected to emacs. Then when I want to do advanced editing I just click on the button and get taken away to emacs. Then I can use the sorting, regular expression, etc. abilities of emacs. There are other text editors that offer sorting as well.

Mark
Message has been deleted

Chuck R.

21 Apr 2016, 05:42:2521/04/2016
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Excellent suggestion. I use FF all the time. We've had trouble with Chrome in the past with some of our business apps.

Many text editors have the ability to sort selected text, so I thought TW5 might be able to add a feature to do that since I could not get the sorting tables to work by clicking on a table header.

Jeremy Ruston

22 Apr 2016, 11:04:3122/04/2016
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck

A toolbar button to sort the selected lines is a good idea. It would need a new JavaScript  “text editor operation”, along the lines of the ones here:

Best wishes

Jeremy.