Link to a Tiddler in a "local" TiddlyWiki file

Mohamed Amin

Aug 18, 2019, 6:55:52 PM8/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear All,

I've tried to figure this out reading some old cases , but I failed (I just meet TW5 2 months ago), so I appreciate your support here.

Suppose that I've 2 TW5 files (TW01 and TW02), I'm trying to put a link in "TW01" so when I click that link it should open the "TW02" file and show a Tiddler named "MyTiddler00", I've tried the following:-

  1. If the "TW02" is hosted in a "http server", and I use the link = [[myLink|http://TW02/#MyTiddler00]] , the link is working perfect and the TW02 is opened with the correct Tiddler MyTiddler00
  2. If the "TW02" is stored locally (i.e. in drive "D:"), and I use the link = [ext[myLink|D:/TW02/#MyTiddler00]] , Nothing is happened (No response)
  3. If the "TW02" is stored locally (i.e. in drive "D:"), and I use the link = [ext[myLink|D:/TW02#MyTiddler00]] (removing the LAST forward slash before the "#" sign), the file "TW02" is open BUT with the "default" tiddler (ex. HelloThere)

So, did I miss something here?

Thanks in Advance

TonyM

Aug 18, 2019, 11:55:14 PM8/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

I too have a lot of links to other TiddlyWiki elements. Recently I was thinking I would like to simplify this.

If you use a html link of the form
The link will always open in the same tab with the same target="wikiname"

It would be nice if we could capture a link to a tiddler in another wiki such as my example

And automatically craft  a link by extracting from the above
  • The full path to the wiki http://192.168.1.81/Instances/TW5Reference.html
  • The Wikis name TW5Reference and set the target to this name
  • The specific tiddlers name "Align Top middle bottom"
  • Then display the link as something like "TW5Reference:Align Top middle bottom" (Much more readable)
  • That on click would open in the named tiddler in the named wiki with in a target tab by the name of the wiki
This would improve readability of the link in wiki text, always open references to tiddlers in the same tab (unless you "open in new tab") stopping a proliferation of tabs and reducing the chance that changes in one tab will overwrite changes in another tab.

I submitted an Issue in Github for this https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/4183

Regards
Tony

kat

Aug 19, 2019, 9:46:06 AM8/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
If you are working in the browser I think you need to prepend "file:///" to the path.

For example:

[ext[myLink|file:///D:/TW02#MyTiddler00]]

This is the path you get when you select "Permalink" from the tiddler menu.

Mohamed Amin

Aug 20, 2019, 9:38:45 AM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks a lot Tony for your reply/information,

So, in my case where I use only local file stored in my Hard disk (with Tiddly Desktop or directly in a Browser), I need to wait till this feature is implemented. is that correct?

Mohamed Amin

Aug 20, 2019, 9:41:03 AM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks kat for your reply, but I did try to add the "fill:///" part after the "Permalink", and it doesn't work in the case of "Local files", It works ONLY if the target TiddlyWiki is hosted in a "HTTP Server"

kat

Aug 20, 2019, 4:06:35 PM8/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hmm I'm not sure then. It works for me.

Here is the relevant page in the docs if you haven't already seen it: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Linking%20in%20WikiText

Sorry I can't be of more help.

kat

Aug 21, 2019, 6:13:17 AM8/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
I just realized that my example was wrong, I had not included the ".html" extension.

It should be:

[ext[myLink|file:///D:/TW02.html#MyTiddler00]]

or

[[myLink|file:///D:/TW02.html#MyTiddler00]]

Maybe this was your problem?

Mohamed Amin

Aug 21, 2019, 10:16:17 AM8/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks kat for pointing that this method is working with you, as I found the following

A link like :
[ext[myLink|D:/TW02.html#MyTiddler00]]

- Is working OK if I click it within Chrome (open the TW02 wiki in a new tab and show the correct Tiddler MyTiddler00)
- BUT it does NOT work if I'm in TiddlyDesktop (it open the TW02 in Chrome BUT show the wrong Tiddler)

Any idea if there is any configuration in TiddlyDesktop to correct this behaviour?

Regards
Mohamed Amin

TonyM

Aug 21, 2019, 8:01:08 PM8/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

The point is if you want to do things which requires permissions on your local system, use something with permissions on your local system TiddlyDesktop

Browsers treat file:// links as possible threats and whilst you can do some things with them, try file://C:\Users\username\Documents in your browser address bar, it will allow you to browse your file system but you can only "download" the files you find. The browser is "protecting" you.

If however in TiddlyDesktop which is a local application (with built in simplified browser) without the security limitations a browser on the internet deserves,  tiddlywiki allows;
  • Open Excel file://C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Excel.lnk
  • Visit my Printer on the LAN http://192.168.1.228/PRESENTATION/HTML/TOP/INDEX.HTML
  • Open a document in its default app [[filename|file:///C:\path\folder\worddocument.docx]]
  • Open a folder in WIndows Explorer [[filename|file:///C:\path\folder\]]
I have tiddlers with custom fields such as "desktop-link" containing a link and a macro to prefix it with file:// if is starts with C:/ D:/ etc...

On tiddly desktop try the `<$browse>` widget to import files.

Regards
Tony

Mohamed Amin

Aug 23, 2019, 10:56:01 AM8/23/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks a Million Tony for your reply/support,

 I'll try your method.