New Release Banner Super-speedy Competition for v5.2.1

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 23, 2021, 12:36:36 PM11/23/21
to TiddlyWiki Group
As usual, I’d like to hold a competition to design the banner image that is shown on the splash screen and within the opening HelloThere tiddler.

The unusual thing this time around is that we have very limited time. Due to a serious bug introduced by the latest version of Chrome we are trying to get v5.2.1 released as soon as possible, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

With that in mind, we’ll have to run the competition slightly differently this time:
  • Entries will be accepted until Friday morning at 8am UK time
  • To speed things up, my plan is that I should choose the winning image (I’m open to discussion here!)
The artwork should reflect some of the changes in the new version. I’ve updated the release note for the prerelease but at this point the documentation for some of the new features is not complete.

The other rules/guidelines for the competition are:
  • The version number (with the correct punctuation) must be clear and readable even when the banner is shown at a reduced size
  • The image must be a PNG or JPEG of exactly 560x315 pixels
  • The bottom 46 pixels will be obscured by the banner text “What’s new in 5.2.1” when it is displayed within HelloThere
  • The image need not include the word “TiddlyWiki”. The banner image is only used in contexts where it is clear that it is about TiddlyWiki
  • Feel free to enter an updated version of artwork that was a runner-up in a previous competition
  • Please give lots of feedback here to encourage the artists
Here are the posts about previous artwork competitions:

v5.2.0 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/eccIEHZoxsI/m/JpxoQdZrAwAJ
v5.1.23 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/cTgPWl8b_9c/m/VtrMFHBGAwAJ
v5.1.22 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/rYrja18_SfQ/m/JAklPfjfAwAJ
v5.1.21 - https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/l47ZZzWdDb8/m/6s0p_3QeCgAJ

The Chrome bug I was referring to is discussed here:

Plans for the v5.2.1 release are being discussed here:

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeremy

Ste

Nov 23, 2021, 1:45:32 PM11/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yay for trig!!!
Who doesn't love triangles!!!!

Stobot

Nov 23, 2021, 3:10:31 PM11/23/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'll start things off with some very simple options based on "Cascade" which brings to mind waterfalls. I also happen to have a font named Cascadia Code.

tiddlywiki 5_2_1 stobot ver1.png

tiddlywiki 5_2_1 stobot ver2.png

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 26, 2021, 12:49:08 PM11/26/21
to TiddlyWiki Group
Thanks Stobot.

We’ll keep the competition over the weekend as we complete the work on v5.2.1

Best wishes

Jeremy

On 23 Nov 2021, at 20:10, Stobot <sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'll start things off with some very simple options based on "Cascade" which brings to mind waterfalls. I also happen to have a font named Cascadia Code.

<tiddlywiki 5_2_1 stobot ver1.png>
<tiddlywiki 5_2_1 stobot ver1.png><tiddlywiki 5_2_1 stobot ver2.png>

Message has been deleted

Nov 27, 2021, 11:49:27 AM11/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Maybe you like this?

Logo_v5.2.1.png

Mohammad

Nov 27, 2021, 3:02:18 PM11/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Some of you may like the below banner!

drawing-optim.png
drawing.svg
drawing-optim.png
drawing-optim.pdf
Message has been deleted

Mohammad

Nov 27, 2021, 3:13:25 PM11/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
SVPrepo.com is correct!
Message has been deleted

springer

Nov 27, 2021, 5:11:30 PM11/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here's my hasty contribution (with a couple minor glitches fixed):

tw-blue-nametag5-2-1.png

Atronoush

Nov 28, 2021, 12:10:16 AM11/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
@Springer
Is there a chance to add the candidate logos to your nice wiki like previous competitions?

Thank you

springer

Nov 28, 2021, 2:33:16 PM11/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
Atro, I'm happy to do so, as a matter of keeping our community archive running. So, hereby DONE:

(The reason I didn't initially do so is both that (a) there are so few candidates and such a short timeline, and (b) Jeremy is choosing, so we don't need to worry about having many people trying to sift through this thread to compare alternatives. Still, it's nice to keep the gallery current.)

-Springer

springer

Nov 28, 2021, 3:12:39 PM11/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a slight edit on the same theme, with reduction in filesize, and better visibility of the bottom portion when covered by thumbnail's caption area. It's also posted at the gallery.

tiddlywiki-name-badge.png

Atronoush

Nov 28, 2021, 11:44:45 PM11/28/21
to TiddlyWiki

Atro, I'm happy to do so, as a matter of keeping our community archive running. So, hereby DONE:

Wonderful! I really like your logo wiki!

Best wishes
Atro

Atronoush

Nov 28, 2021, 11:46:22 PM11/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,
 Most users are now on Talk! Is there any reason you have sent this important post here in old forum!
 I cannot to reply through Talk and I have to open the old page and reply here!
 This page is not mobile friendly and I like to use Talk!

Thank you!

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 29, 2021, 5:50:19 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Atronoush

At this point, the Google Group is still the official forum for TiddlyWiki and talk.tiddlywiki.org is still classified as an experiment. I intend to revisit this once v5.2.1 is released.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 29, 2021, 5:53:48 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
And thank you for all the entrants so far. The banner competition always attracts great entries, but I particularly appreciate the skill of designing under strict time constraints!

Best wishes

Jeremy

>Some of you may like the below banner!

drawing-optim.png

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 29, 2021, 5:55:15 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
I meant to add a reminder for Mohammad that "5.2.1" should have a "v" prefix: "v5.2.1".

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad

Nov 29, 2021, 11:01:41 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,
 I have added the prefix `v` and changed the color to grey!

Best wishes
Mohammad

banner-tiddlywiki-5.2.1.png
banner-tiddlywiki-5.2.1.svg
banner-tiddlywiki-5.2.1.pdf

Mohammad

Nov 29, 2021, 11:04:54 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Description of banner:
- v5.2.1 the version of new release
- icon: a filter which also gets some filter run prefix ;-)

This is because 5.2.0 - 5.2.1 have many new filter operators/filter run prefix ...

Hope you like it!
As the limited time, I did not work on coloring! ;-)

springer

Nov 29, 2021, 11:24:57 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, I've put your updated version on the gallery site.

I've also added one more, which highlights v5.2.1 better, while gesturing subtly toward the "cascade" theme:

cascade-drops.png

-Springer

Mohammad

Nov 29, 2021, 11:27:53 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Much appreciated Springer!

I like your colorful banner with round border! Very nice!

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 29, 2021, 11:39:34 AM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
My two cents. I think Mohammad's entry good. It visually conveys filtering well.

TT

springer

Nov 29, 2021, 12:00:56 PM11/29/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mashup, for yuks:

mashup.png

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 6, 2021, 12:23:10 PM12/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you to everyone once again for your help. I'm afraid non-TW stuff has delayed me for a few days, but now we're back on track to make the release this week.

I was just looking at Springer's collection of the entries at https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com. My first thought was that I regret suggesting that I should choose the winner because it's too difficult with so many excellent entries.

Two entries that particularly caught my eye are Springer's:

Unknown-2222..png

And Mohammad's:

Unknown-3.png
I was just thinking that it would be nice to have those two designs combined when I came to this thread and saw Springer's mashup which seems to be pretty much what I wanted:

mashup.png

So, I am happy to declare that we have a winner. Congratulations to Springer and Mohammad, and my sincere thanks to everyone who has entered.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mat

Dec 6, 2021, 2:15:24 PM12/6/21
to TiddlyWiki
Really cool! Congrats Springer and Mohammad - well done!

<:-)

Télumire

Dec 7, 2021, 6:23:43 AM12/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
Very cool indeed ! Love the color choice & funnel idea, congrats to Springer and Mohammad !

springer

Dec 7, 2021, 10:41:20 PM12/7/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'm tickled!  I had found Mohammad's svg for filters to be so visually intuitive that I couldn't resist playing with it a bit more. Sometimes trying something "just for yuks" is the way to go!

Jeremy, I'm happy to streamline details or optimize the svg-png size (etc.) if that would be helpful.

-Springer

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 9, 2021, 4:01:08 PM12/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Springer!

> Jeremy, I'm happy to streamline details or optimize the svg-png size (etc.) if that would be helpful.

I thought you'd done so – the image is already only 42KB :)

Best wishes

Jeremy

springer

Dec 9, 2021, 5:47:31 PM12/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Getting Mohammad's svg original properly integrated (rather than a hasty screenshot) shaves a few MB off, down to 35MB. I also find my design was a *tad* bit noisy with the cascade dots after the final 1. I can restore the extra dots if you want to stick to exactly what the design was. :)

tiddlywiki-compressed.png

springer

Dec 9, 2021, 6:45:01 PM12/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Or down to 15K if I flatten it and make the filter stand out better. :)

tiddlywiki-mashup-flat-opt.png