Google groups page not loading properly?

Mat

Jul 3, 2020, 7:26:03 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I have for the past ~2 weeks had a lot of problems with loading the google groups page. I suspect it started after the "new Groups" layout was introduced. I did try out the new layout, disliked it, and switched back. But now only the groups top and sidebar loads but the messages list doesn't and there's a popup saying "An error (#847) occurred while communicating with the server. RELOAD". Repeated reloading can make it work, but since the messages lists doesn't automatically update (only the number indicating new messages in the sidebar) I'm forced to reload every now and then only to face the problem again.

Only me or anybody else - who also uses the forum interface - getting this?

<:-)

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 3, 2020, 7:44:31 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Same issue here. Switching to new groups does seem to fix it, though that seems to be missing features.

TW Tones

Jul 3, 2020, 7:54:58 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I just saw that the first time just now on mobile. Switch to dev and back seemed to fix it.

Tony

Mat

Jul 3, 2020, 8:12:46 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
This is how to not design a webpage:  14" screen. The red area is basically the reason why I visit the page, i.e it gets a mere 25% or even less. I see ~4 of the messages unless scrolling.

I need to use the Chrome extension Amino Live Editor to manipulate it to get an almost decent overview of the messages, using

c-wiz > div > div > div > div > section > span > div > div {max-height: 15px; overflow-y: hidden;}
c-wiz:nth-child(27) > div > div:nth-of-type(2) {border:1px solid red; display:none}

(...and, in this new layout, I find no editor tool to make the above code into code style, or at least quote style - wtf!?)

With that obviously brittle modification, I at lest see 9 message rows. Each message row still takes up too much vertical space, probably because of the time stamp on the right.

<:-)  (...for once I feel my smiley is unfitting to reflect my mood)

P.S and now that I want to click "Post message" an alert about "New message from TW Tones" has popped up covering the "Post message" button... Jisus...

Jake

Jul 3, 2020, 8:13:54 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
same
Message has been deleted

Mat

Jul 3, 2020, 8:22:26 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
¤%#%$!!!! (that's not code)

Not only does the embedded image not come through but making posting the message almost crashes the tab (along with all other tabs to google groups). And there is no "edit message" possible. I'm now seeing if the image at least works as an attatchment.

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:13:54 PM UTC+2 Jake wrote:
same
ggroups.png

Mark S.

Jul 3, 2020, 11:12:15 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'm sticking with the traditional view as long as possible. But I'm having to reload the page a lot. My guess is that they reassigned servers to the new view.

I'm also getting other artefacts, like edit boxes without the reply text and missing images.

Birthe C

Jul 3, 2020, 3:43:03 PM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Having to reload constantly - yes. I guessed it had to do with the new Groups and did not go for it.

This is what we get from complaining about the group so much. Satisfied now, are we?

@Mat,
No that is not code: "fy fan" and i do agree.

Birthe

Ste Wilson

Jul 3, 2020, 3:46:45 PM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ah! Not just me :)
Seems more reliable on mobile.

Mat

Jul 3, 2020, 4:02:12 PM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
 Ste wrote:
Ah! Not just me :)
Seems more reliable on mobile.

Well, since YOU bring up mobile, Ste: Your (and only your) icon/face is HUGE on the phone, covering the whole screen in all posts from you. (Anybody else seeing this on Ste?
Another complaint about the new UI: I'm apparently no permitted to "Reply privately to author" even if I do have permission to do that in old UI.

<:-)

Mark S.

Jul 3, 2020, 5:50:54 PM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sometimes on my desktop (though not at the moment). Only Ste's image.

Birthe C

Jul 3, 2020, 6:14:45 PM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
That might be so, but we are all getting a long nose, if this keeps on.

Birthe

Ste Wilson

Jul 4, 2020, 4:12:36 AM7/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
It happens to me for Jan! He be huge! Not sure how to fix it! :( Sooory.

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 4, 2020, 4:14:12 AM7/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yep, I get that for Ste and Jan.
I am getting kinda used to being up close and personal with Ste's crazy eyed charm.

TiddlyTweeter

Jul 4, 2020, 4:21:03 AM7/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
How big is the image you entered in Google? :-) Of maybe its the type of image used.

I love seeing the mad professor take over the phone ;)

TT

Ste Wilson

Jul 4, 2020, 4:31:24 AM7/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've unchecked the link my profile and show my picture so hopefully my gurning visage will no longer assault your ocular senses. But thank you for your kind words :D

TW Tones

Jul 4, 2020, 6:51:34 AM7/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Too late

I thought it was intended, it now forms part of my understanding of your "in my face" personality.

he he ha ha snicker

TW Tones