Announcing TWWFI, a file for TiddlyWiki and Workflowy integration

David Gifford

May 6, 2016, 8:31:34 PM5/6/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

I mentioned a week or so ago about integrating TW and Workflowy. As I continue to play with it, the more excited I am about it. This has revolutionized my note-taking and bookmarking.

Today I uploaded a customized TiddlyWiki called TWWFI to my website. http://www.giffmex.org/twwfi/twwfi.html. A proper introduction and instructions can be found there.

Please let me know what you think if you play with it for a while.

Dave

David Gifford

May 7, 2016, 7:52:15 AM5/7/16
to TiddlyWiki
My apologies!!!!

As I was creating a video last night to show how I use my TWWFI file, I couldn't figure out why the links to Workfowy were loading so s - l - o - w - l - y. Then it hit me. Links to editable, shared Workflowy sections load quickly, but links to Workflowy simply grabbed from the browser bar load slowly. At some point, since grabbing the links from the browser bar is faster, I switched my process but forgot to check if it was still working the same way.

I have updated my instructions tiddler and setup tiddler to include that fact.

My apologies to anyone who went through the setup process. That process must be redone to make sure the links in $:/.Workflowy.links are 'shared' links to editable Workflowy sections. And when grabbing links to topics in Workflowy, you need to grab the same kind of link. Otherwise the process will be so slow and cumbersome no one in their right mind would use it.

Dave

Mat

May 7, 2016, 2:39:19 PM5/7/16
to TiddlyWiki
David - thank you very much for sharing your ideas and insights!

Very much looking forward to that video.

<:-)

David Gifford

May 7, 2016, 5:37:22 PM5/7/16
to TiddlyWiki
The TWWFI file now has a (silent) video demo showing me taking notes in TWWFI, searching, and opening the note again. Enjoy.

Dave

Mat

May 9, 2016, 2:46:36 PM5/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
David, thanks for so generously sharing your ideas and creations!

While I've admittedly not tried out workflowy or TWWFI, I'm thinking there's quite a lot of jumping back and forth at least in the video. Maybe this could be smoother by having the workflowy document display...

* in an iframe (because workflowy is web based, if I understand)...
*...that is in a viewtemplate so it shows in every tiddler, perhaps above the body
*...but with a revealwidget around it so you can open close it.

Just a thought.

<:-)

David Gifford

May 9, 2016, 3:33:03 PM5/9/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

Yes, there is a lot of jumping back and forth, but that is in part because in the video I am not only showing how to start a topic and link both TW and WF, but also then how fast it is to retrieve the note once it is saved, and open it back up in WF.

I should say that I also just discovered Dynalist. (https://dynalist.io/). It is like Workflowy, but with a number of added features: Rather than have one big outliner document, you create any number of documents, each with its bulleted outlines. And there is a pretty good mechanism for searching for documents. Using that would undercut the need for a system like TWWFI. Rather than use TW as a front end for WF, I could just use Dynalist. Dynalist also allows for inline images and pretty links, which WF does not. And using WF almost requires a pro account for $50 a year, whereas Dynalist allows you unlimited documents, unlimited bullet points, and most of the best features even in its free version.

This leaves me ambivalent about what to pursue of the two options...

Dave

David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City

RickL

May 10, 2016, 9:00:16 AM5/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for highlighting this - I use both apps extensively.  A couple of comments...

Dynalist has no mobile at if I remember correctly. The Workflowy Android app works extremely well, and is syncs perfectly - one of the better selling points for the app I think

As for your workflow when combining TW5 and Workflowy, is there an advantage in going through the share steps when one can just grab the url from the browser bar?  Much simpler and allows views of the outline whereas sharing does not permit this view...

David Gifford

May 10, 2016, 9:13:34 AM5/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

​Android, Chrome and iOS apps are high on the Dynalist Trello board of planned features https://trello.com/b/z0HxDPNo/dynalist-roadmap

As for your workflow when combining TW5 and Workflowy, is there an advantage in going through the share steps when one can just grab the url from the browser bar?  Much simpler and allows views of the outline whereas sharing does not permit this view...

​YES! Clicking on a shared editable link opens WF way way faster than clicking on the URL grabbed from the browser bar. See my comments earlier in this thread.

Blessings

Dave

RickL

May 10, 2016, 9:56:07 AM5/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
If they come out with an Android and a Chrome app soon it would be a real contender.  As much as I like the simplicity of Workflowy, development seems to be dead.

David Gifford

May 10, 2016, 11:18:00 AM5/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:56 AM, RickL <rick...@gmail.com> wrote:
If they come out with an Android and a Chrome app soon it would be a real contender.  As much as I like the simplicity of Workflowy, development seems to be dead.

​Yeah, when I signed up a year ago they said that pretty links and inline images were around the corner. You can now do inline image hacks, but not because of them. Pretty links nowhere to be seen. But Dynalist seems to have been created last year by two people who got tired of waiting for Workflowy to get moving, and already ​has a lot of features Workflowy has been talking about but not producing, and a few that are definite improvements on Worklowy. Even though I have several hundreds of pages of notes in Workflowy after one year of using it, I am very tempted to make the switch.

Dave

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-4, David Gifford wrote:
Hi all,

I mentioned a week or so ago about integrating TW and Workflowy. As I continue to play with it, the more excited I am about it. This has revolutionized my note-taking and bookmarking.

Today I uploaded a customized TiddlyWiki called TWWFI to my website. http://www.giffmex.org/twwfi/twwfi.html. A proper introduction and instructions can be found there.

Please let me know what you think if you play with it for a while.

Dave

Rick

May 10, 2016, 12:14:46 PM5/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Dynalist has made it really easy to switch with their import.  When the Android app is live I will give it serious consideration...

Thanks again for your work.