TiddlyWiki Hangout #107 with Matt Lauber and Reece Shaw

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 29, 2020, 8:04:24 AM6/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
TiddlyWiki Hangout #107 is now out, with special guests Matt Lauber and Reece Shaw:

Matt and Reece show how they use TiddlyWiki to run tabletop Dungeons and Dragons games, demonstrating some interesting techniques, including a novel integration with TiddlyMap, handling lots of custom data, and performing arithmetic on custom calendars for Earth-like planets. It’s a fascinating journey whether or not you know anything about D&D.

Unfortunately, we suffered some frustrating technical problems, resulting in some audio dropouts, and the loss of video for the last few minutes. My apologies. I’m shortly recording the next hangout with David Gifford with hopefully improved technology!

My thanks again to Matt and Reece,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

David Gifford

Jun 29, 2020, 9:44:38 AM6/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Matt and Reece, the hidden link connecting our videos, apart from TiddlyWiki, is that just out of high school I hung out with D&D players and comic enthusiasts, and one of them, Jeff Dee, invited me to do the pencilling artwork for a module of Villains & Vigilantes, a superhero version of D&D. Cheers!

Joshua Fontany

Jun 29, 2020, 12:59:53 PM6/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Awesome, will definitely be watching this one. :)

Saq Imtiaz

Jun 30, 2020, 2:47:19 AM6/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I feel like this is a more common use case than one first realizes, there have been regular posts and questions about usage for running role playing games since the days of TWC.

The combination of TiddlyMap and images could be translated back to our own world. Use a world map or portion there of, to map/plan trips or keep a visual travel log. Add in KML/KMZ support and the combination could be powerful.

TW Tones

Jun 30, 2020, 4:24:43 AM6/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I enjoyed the video

Great to see and hear being done what I imagined could be done. I was a DND play when in high school and University.

The ad hoc or extensible database that can develop overtime is I believe a key feature of tiddlywiki. With DND you could even build virtual multi-sided dice and other things needed.

TiddlyMap shows that tiddlywiki is not wanting for features.

Regards
Tony

Dragon Cotterill

Jun 30, 2020, 5:51:19 AM6/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I have built a TW explaining all the rules, characters, skill and attributes for playing my MUD game. The game itself is not finished, it's still very much a work-in-progress, but the wiki makes organising it so much easier. Which is the point of any TW... it's versatile and can be used for pretty much anything.