Tiddler Field with link to other tiddler: how to ?

CJ Veniot

Feb 1, 2020, 12:46:10 AM2/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
G'day,

I have Tiddler A with a field (called "this_note") = "For more info, check out [[Tiddler B]]"

Tiddler A has in the content  <$view field="this_note"/> .

However, when Tiddler A is saved, it shows  "For more info, check out [[Tiddler B]]"  (i.e. not showing a link to Tiddler B, but just showing the text wrapped by the brackets.)

So I was thinking TiddlyWiki doesn't recognize wiki text, until I played with http://tw5magick.tiddlyspot.com/ and found putting brackets around text in fields indeed turn into tiddler links just fine there.

Is there a setting somewhere I've missed that I need to adjust somewhere ?

Thank-you and best regards !

Mat

Feb 1, 2020, 7:43:16 AM2/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
The easiest way to circumvent this would be to just type {{!!this_note}} instead of using the viewwidget.

Still, your question is interesting and I'm wondering how one would best wikify the output culled from a field.

<:-)

CJ Veniot

Feb 1, 2020, 10:01:57 AM2/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mat, I've got some virtual bear hug for you.  (Well, not all folk are into hugs, so virtual fist-bumps if preferred.)

Not only does that work, but way easier for this old sponge o' mind to remember and read.

Thank-you very much !

TiddlyWiki Links in Fields Glitch.jpg

Mat

Feb 1, 2020, 2:23:30 PM2/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Heh, good it helped you - but you make it sound as if I did something but that technique (called transclusion) is just the standard technique for this in TW.
<:-)

CJ Veniot

Feb 1, 2020, 5:04:22 PM2/1/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I've been heavily depending on transclusion since about 2006 with another wiki product at work.  Can't survive without it.

This kid didn't realize TiddlyWiki could handle transclusion of tiddler fields (i.e. beyond transclusion of whole tiddlers.)

Major eye opener.  So you may think you didn't do much, but it was actually the welcome smacking o' some smarts into me that is appreciated something fierce.  (Hence me laying on the appreciation right thick.)

Cheers !