Feedback for TiddlyClip

BJ

Jan 26, 2016, 10:19:16 AM1/26/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am working on necessary changes to tiddlyclip in order support future versions of firefox. As I am current focused on tiddlyclip, this would be a good time to let me know of anything that you think could be improved or added to tiddlyclip or its documentation, or maybe you have a particular use or setup to share that could be added to tiddlyclip's website?

all the best

BJ

Pit.W.

Jan 26, 2016, 12:21:30 PM1/26/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
    Hi BJ!

How kind of You to ask such a question! Wishlist for Santa:

1. The context menu might benefit from longer and more detailed tootips, explaining snip, snap...

2. For me tiddlyclip only works, if the source and the destination TW are in the same window (in different tabs). Would it be possible to transfer the info to a TW in another window as well? (I am using Firefox, latest version.)

3. The tiddler TiddlyClipConfig would benfit from a bit of explanation/manual. I would like to configure what goes into the caption field.

4.Maybe tiddlyclip could also fill the fields timeline.start and timeline.end, thereby linking into the timeline plugin? (Would the field:when be a candidate?)

5. For the further workflow (what to do and how to process tiddlyclipped tiddlers), i list them using the field "when" as an identifier. This might collide with other plugins or editions. A more unique identifier of tiddlyclipped tiddlers might be helpful, like fieldname:tiddlclip fieldvalue:snap or snip ... or a value to be adapted in the config tiddler? This could also be used by the tiddlymap plugin for filtering. And by tidgraph to add a conditional template (footer).

Most important: Great of You to keep up the support for this great tool! I use it when I have to collect research-info, especially when under time pressure, when confronted with an unfamiliar topic, or a situation with uncertainties/risks.
oh oh, I wanted mainly to say thank you, and now the wishlist got out of control....

Pit.W

Am 26.01.2016 um 16:19 schrieb BJ:
Hi all,
I am working on necessary changes to tiddlyclip in order support future versions of firefox. As a am current focused on tiddlyclip, this would be a good time to let me know of anything that you think could be improved or added to tiddlyclip or its documentation, or maybe you have a particular use or setup to share that could be added to the tiddlyclip's website?

all the best

BJ

Mat

Jan 26, 2016, 1:04:38 PM1/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Yes- how kind of you to ask!

As it is I cannot use TiddlyClip because it doesn't work if you browse with multiple browser windows. That's a dealbreaker for me. AFAIK, it is only possible to define the taget TW for the browser window where the browser tab of that TW appears. My way of working requires immediate access to a lot of stuff so I use multiple windows with multiple tabs (surely I can't be the only one?)

Thank you BJ!

<:-)

Erwan

Jan 28, 2016, 11:03:29 AM1/28/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi BJ,

First thank you for your plugin, it's so useful to me!
I use it to collect news articles, so that I can later search by keyword and find the source.

I would only have one small feature request: I sometimes use the "reader view" option in firefox, and if I "snip" content when the option is enabled then the url in the tiddler is not correct. For instance instead of "http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/27/cameron-too-close-to-google-say-critics-130m-tax-deal" (normal mode) it becomes "about:reader?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2F2016%2Fjan%2F27%2Fcameron-too-close-to-google-say-critics-130m-tax-deal" (reader view mode), so the link doesn't work.

It would be nice to have the link working also in reader view mode, if it's not too much of course!

Regards,
Erwan

On 26/01/16 15:19, BJ wrote:
Hi all,
I am working on necessary changes to tiddlyclip in order support future versions of firefox. As a am current focused on tiddlyclip, this would be a good time to let me know of anything that you think could be improved or added to tiddlyclip or its documentation, or maybe you have a particular use or setup to share that could be added to the tiddlyclip's website?

all the best

BJ

BJ

Jan 28, 2016, 3:46:19 PM1/28/16
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Erwan,

it is possible to do what you want with the present tiddlyclip. Your uri has been encode, and so needs to be decoded. This can be achieved by adding a new tiddlyclip macro. The easiest way to do this is to clone an existing one, so clone $:/plugins/bj/tiddlyclip/sublink.js, and change the text to:

exports.name ="decodeuri";
exports.run  = function(uri) {
	return decodeURIComponent(uri);
}

then in the snip rule replace ((*@pageRef*)) with ((*@decodeuri(@pageRef)*))

all the best

BJ

Matabele

Jan 28, 2016, 10:49:53 PM1/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

Please could you make an extension for Chrome, or, if there is one, describe how to install it (the repo on Github looks like it might contain one, but I can't wok out how to install it.)

reagards

Matabele

Jan 28, 2016, 10:52:01 PM1/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

Just an idea: Would it not be possible to dock a wiki into TW Desktop, and clip from browsers into this docked wiki?

regards

BJ

Jan 29, 2016, 4:16:28 AM1/29/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matabele,

there is a brief mention on http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com about installing on chrome:

The chrome addon needs to be added locally. Right click the link below to save the addon locally. (unzip it)

https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip/raw/0.0.8/tiddlyclip.zip

click the menu button then click "more tools" then extensions, then load unpacked extension

Note that tiddlyclip only works with tiddlywikis loaded as normal webpages, not as apps.

cheers
BJ

Matabele

Jan 29, 2016, 4:44:49 AM1/29/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

I did most of these steps, and I knew how to install an extension locally -- but stuck when it came to: "then load unpacked extension" -- it wasn't clear that the whole extension folder must be selected. I was looking for something more specific, and didn't know what to select.

Anyway, I now have it installed --  many thanks.

regards

BJ

Jan 29, 2016, 6:31:58 AM1/29/16
to TiddlyWiki
thanks for the feedback - I will try and make the documentation better with the upcoming release.

Erwan

Jan 29, 2016, 12:16:45 PM1/29/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Erwan

Jan 29, 2016, 12:21:13 PM1/29/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

btw for anyone else who uses firefox reader view, the content of the JS tiddler should be the following: (in order to also strip the prefix "about:reader?url=")

exports.name ="decodeuri";
exports.run  = function(uri) {
	return decodeURIComponent(uri.slice(17));
}

Julio Cantarero

Jan 31, 2016, 6:07:01 PM1/31/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

Thank you very much for the TiddlyClip TW5 plugin and FF addon. I use them very often to capture news to my TW when browsing around.

Since you were also asking about particular uses, I also tried a few months ago to use TW5 + TiddlyClip to create a web notebook for studying vocabulary of foreign languages. The goal was to easily create new vocabulary entries in a TW5 thanks to TiddlyClip, and then use other TW5 features to treat these entries as flashcards to support studying them. I didn't get to finish it, but I found TiddlyClip was very flexible. I was even capable of creating new tiddlers and renaming them, as well as create and delete tiddler fields (I have uploaded a copy of the latest status here: http://juliocantarero.github.io/TW5-LanguageStudyNotebook/ . It is not fully working though)

Regarding suggestions, I would have never dared, but since you asked :-)
  • In the documentation, it took me a while to realize that there are tags and modes settings (table columns) both at Category (operation) and Rule level. Modes at Category level are BrowserConfigModes, which is different than Rule modes.
  • I tried to transclude a tiddler in the tags column at Category level, using {{TiddlerName}} but it did not work. I think I read somewhere in the plugin documentation that the {{ }} option should work. It works in the body column. The purpose of this was to be able to tag clips from different sessions with different identifiers, like lesson N or subjects, etc.
  • And if I may: I guess there is a reason for it, but I found that the syntax of the substitution expressions and macros was complex and rigid. I guess I was stretching the use of TiddlyClip, or missed an easiest way to collect information in multiple passes from a web page. The only option I could think of to pass structured information to TW5 (I mean a vocabulary entry with term, definition, examples, pronuntiation, etc.) was tiddler fields.
Regards,

Julio

BJ

Feb 1, 2016, 6:16:03 AM2/1/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hi Julio,
thanks for the feedback, it's nice to know that people use  tiddlyclip. Feedback like this is invaluable as it enables me to see what needs to be improved/added. - I have added comments below.

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 11:07:01 PM UTC, Julio Cantarero wrote:
[...]

As I wrote tiddlyclip I fully understand how it works, so I really need feedback on what is not clear - I will make this more clear in the documentation.
  • I tried to transclude a tiddler in the tags column at Category level, using {{TiddlerName}} but it did not work. I think I read somewhere in the plugin documentation that the {{ }} option should work. It works in the body column. The purpose of this was to be able to tag clips from different sessions with different identifiers, like lesson N or subjects, etc.
There is only this type of flexibility in the rules (I need to add this to the documentation ) so you would have to use the tag entry there for this function.
  • And if I may: I guess there is a reason for it, but I found that the syntax of the substitution expressions and macros was complex and rigid. I guess I was stretching the use of TiddlyClip, or missed an easiest way to collect information in multiple passes from a web page. The only option I could think of to pass structured information to TW5 (I mean a vocabulary entry with term, definition, examples, pronuntiation, etc.) was tiddler fields.
Your language study application is very interesting. Like you say the basic tiddlyclip operation is to select some text and clip the selection into tiddler(s) fields. It is also possible to clip the contents of the clipboard using the  @clip variable, so one can copy some text to the clipboard, then highlight some text and clip both to tiddlers. To clip more selections on the page (other than using multiple clip actions as you have done) either requires using regular expressions or writing macros. It is possible to highlight multiple selections on a page (using the highlight rule), then select all of the page's text and clip that through selection macros (that would need to written - this is not difficult), eg @Selected#1(@web), @Selected#2(@web) etc.

For the next release I may expand macro to take multiple arguments to support functions like  @Selected(#1,@web).

My choice of syntax for Tiddlyclip was constrained to be usable with wikitext, which restricted the syntax that could be used for its template braces (of the syntax compatible with wikitext I thought that '((*' '*))' would standout in the middle the wikitext. All tiddlyclip logic had to be put inside these braces. I will try and add some literal numbers and strings to the future release).

BJ

Feb 1, 2016, 6:48:44 AM2/1/16
to TiddlyWiki, Pi...@eclipso.ch

Hi Pit.W,
sorry for the delayed response and thank very much for the feedback.

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 5:21:30 PM UTC, Pit.W. wrote:
    Hi BJ!

How kind of You to ask such a question! Wishlist for Santa:

1. The context menu might benefit from longer and more detailed tootips, explaining snip, snap...

I'll look into this. One limitation is that google chrome dosn't allow tooltips with the contextmenu, so at present this is a ff only feature.

2. For me tiddlyclip only works, if the source and the destination TW are in the same window (in different tabs). Would it be possible to transfer the info to a TW in another window as well? (I am using Firefox, latest version.)

This feature will be added in the future release.

3. The tiddler TiddlyClipConfig would benfit from a bit of explanation/manual. I would like to configure what goes into the caption field.

There is some explanation at http://tiddlyclip.tiddlyspot.com - I'll try and expand it a bit more.
The tiddlyclipconfig is user configurable, to change the tip just type away!

4.Maybe tiddlyclip could also fill the fields timeline.start and timeline.end, thereby linking into the timeline plugin? (Would the field:when be a candidate?)

I am not sure what you mean, I have yet to use the timeline plugin. It is certainly possible to add field timeline.start and clip a date to it....

5. For the further workflow (what to do and how to process tiddlyclipped tiddleryet s), i list them using the field "when" as an identifier. This might collide with other plugins or editions. A more unique identifier of tiddlyclipped tiddlers might be helpful, like fieldname:tiddlclip fieldvalue:snap or snip ... or a value to be adapted in the config tiddler? This could also be used by the tiddlymap plugin for filtering. And by tidgraph to add a conditional template (footer).

I certainly can add a tiddlyclip field as you suggest, but I have yet to play with tiddlymap so am unsure how it would be used - maybe someone could explain...

Marc Ferguson

Feb 1, 2016, 1:15:06 PM2/1/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I can't get twiddly clip to work on a Mac with ff. It says that the add on is not verified. Don't know what I am doing wrong. Looking forward to using this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

BJ

Feb 1, 2016, 2:16:05 PM2/1/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Marc,
recently ff has made it such that all addons need signing, there is a signed version of tiddlyclip here:

https://github.com/buggyj/tiddlyclip/blob/master/tiddlyclip-0.0.9-fx%2Ban.xpi

click on the 'raw' button and down the file, then drag and drop it onto the ff addons window.

all the best

BJ

Marc Ferguson

Feb 1, 2016, 3:49:07 PM2/1/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. You are the best.

Sent from my iPhone

Alex Hough

Feb 14, 2016, 7:14:23 AM2/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
BJ,

My current understanding is that TiddlyClip doesn't work with Chrome... am I right.

As a feature request, i would like to use it with node.js

Alex

BJ

Feb 14, 2016, 9:13:14 AM2/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
HI Alex,
tiddlyclip does work with chrome (see my answer to Matabele above), and tiddlyclip works with node.js tiddlywikis.  I am making some small improvements to the context menu for the next release.

all the best
BJ

Alex Hough

Feb 14, 2016, 2:34:43 PM2/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks BJ,

I think its one of those TW vortices where you come back to it in a few days time and you can't understand why you *couldn't* get it to work. I'll try again

best

Alex

BJ

Feb 14, 2016, 3:13:08 PM2/14/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
let me know how it goes, like I said I have made a small improvement for the next release (which I am currently testing by using it for a couple of weeks). I usually use it with firefox so feedback about the chrome version is very helpful.

Alex Hough

Feb 14, 2016, 4:45:04 PM2/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
if you'd like me to test on node.js and chrome I'd be very happy to

Like some others on the group I am starting a project to write a paper for a conference. I've revisited my reference manager of choice (Zotero) to find that the Chrome addon doesn't work very well.

My thinking i that I will download pdf based literature into a folder and read them though TW, mapping the references in TiddlyMap. I will be able to create timelines as well using the viz.js timeline plugin.

Some of the material will be on website, and Zotero was quite good in that it could download a website with some metadata. It doesn't anymore. I think that TiddlyClip could take the place of Zotero.

What would be amazing add on to TiddlyClip is the capacity to capture the kind of metadata captured by Zotero when it works well. Keywords, abstract, authors. That would be a big job from what I gather from Zotero, but it  might be something that an institution could fund. Zotero is funded by charitable foundations.

Basically, I think Zotero has had its day. I wish I'd just saved the webpages I have in my archive in a folder using the save in the browser.

Alex

Julio Cantarero

Mar 25, 2016, 6:45:52 PM3/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

While defining new rules for TiddlyClip, and I have bumped into a characteristic of TiddlyClip's #variables: the scope of a #variable is limited to the operations run inside the tiddler referenced in the 'Fields modifiers' column.
Would it be possible to extend the scope of #variables so that their values can be passed across Rules in the same operation?

If so, I would be able to reuse values across different Tiddlers that I create with a single TC click (category). I think this would make the rules syntax more flexible. I do not know if extending the scope could cause other problems/risks to TC itself.

I must confess that I have tried to do this myself in your code (commenting out //table['#']={}; in all instances in tidpaste.js but the first one), but I did not manage to reuse #variables across Rule tiddlers with just these changes.
Thank you,

Julio

BJ

Mar 26, 2016, 5:06:16 AM3/26/16
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Julio,
your usecase sounds very interesting. I don't think I can change how the # variables work without things breaking. An alternative would be to introduce a new type of variable, maybe ':' so that (eg) ':myvar' would keep it value across applications of rules. Do you thing that would work for you usage?

all the best
BJ

Julio Cantarero

Mar 26, 2016, 5:48:22 AM3/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

Sure, it would do.
What I am trying to do is to generate the name of a new tiddler (created from info captured by TC) and record it into the list field of an "umbrella" tiddler. Currently I am using the @date/time information of the web page, which is available in the Rule entries for both tiddlers ("umbrella" and new one). But passing information across the Rule entries would allow me to use sequence numbers.
The link I posted earlier points to the TW I am working on. I will upload a working version in the next few days.
Thank you!

Julio

Mark S.

Mar 26, 2016, 9:58:02 AM3/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

Thanks for writing such a useful utility!

I'm late to this conversation, but I wanted to add my thought.

The main reason I don't use TC more is the docking. Having to check on docking, dock, and then do the clipping is only slightly faster than cut & paste. So it's mostly useful if I'm starting a session where I will be doing lots of clipping.

Is there any way, maybe with cookies, that TC can remember where it is docked between browser shut-downs? I almost always dock to the same TW. I guess you could call it "Lock the Dock" ;)

Thanks!
Mark

Julio Cantarero

Mar 28, 2016, 5:39:39 PM3/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

Related to the last request, I just thought that another enhancement to TiddlyClip would be to have direct access keys for the TiddlyClip entries in the Context menu (I mean the right-click menu in FireFox). This could speed up TiddlyClip operations when the user wants to record small text chunks in the tiddler fields.
Not sure if this is feasible. I was playing with a FireFox Addon (named "Menu Wizard") that allows you to set these direct access keys per menu entry, but it was only possible to do so in the first context menu level of TiddlyClip, maybe because the others entries are created dynamically.
In any case, it is just an idea, it is still very cool to be passing info to TW with one click of the mouse.
Thanks,

Julio

Alex Hough

Apr 4, 2016, 7:33:34 AM4/4/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi BJ,

I wondered if TiddlyClip could capture book metadata.

For example:

and notice that it is exposing metadata becuase the Zotero plugin in Chrome is telling me so

Inline images 1

I look at the source and see the following

Inline images 2

The description and keywords could be added to a field using TiddlyClip

best wishes

Alex

Tryign It

Apr 6, 2016, 4:47:34 PM4/6/16
to TiddlyWiki
Would it be possible to include the ability to save images/files into a folder relative to the TW, but the images/files are 'linked' into the TW upon clipping?

Also, it would be quite handy to have the ability of selecting content & a pop-up that permits the user to enter tags (previously used or new tags)

(In the case that its clipping to a previously created tiddler, it would simply transclude the new snip into that tiddler...)

Mark S.

Apr 6, 2016, 7:01:06 PM4/6/16
to TiddlyWiki
I think a lot of us would like that first ability. The question is, is it even possible?

Mark

BJ

Apr 7, 2016, 6:17:13 AM4/7/16
to TiddlyWiki
It maybe useful to have keyboard short cuts if you have a small number of entries in your tiddlyclipconfig, however they would have to fit in with all the other keyboard shortcuts from other pages/addons. I will have a look to see if it is possible, but this is a low priority issue for me (I have too many entries in my tiddlyclipconfigs for shortcuts!!).

bj